Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha Amps - looking for input

The earlier generation P2200 had 3 pairs (push-pull) of output transistors per side, but indeed the next generation PC 2002 had four pairs.

I have four P2200, two PC2002 and one PC1002 and keep on buying them whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    Alas, I contacted Yamaha Pro direct and couldn't get any cosmetic parts for a PC2002M.
    Which is why you can buy non working amps for their components. I continuoulsy have an eye on local Kijiji ads for working and non working P2200/PC2002

As far as older Yamaha amps go I still use my B2, solid, stable and sounds great.

Name:  yamahab21.jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  49.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mark214 View Post
    As far as older Yamaha amps go I still use my B2, solid, stable and sounds great.

Name:  yamahab21.jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  49.7 KB
    As with most VFET amps, this one is VERY hard to top. Hope to add one to my collection some day.

If it's never been serviced, it's important for the life of the VFETs to have the power supply rebuilt by a competent tech that understands how to properly handle VFET outputs. Loss of pinch off voltage, or servicing without discharging the filter caps or otherwise sending any unintended voltage through them and the magic blue smoke comes out of the unobtanium VFET.

Picked up a B-2 last week, and it's the best amp I've heard so far. Not saying that it's the best amp ever made, but it's damn fine to my ears. Listened to it in my office rig for a day, but now it's off line until I can go through the PS section as Brutal mentions below. There are also a few transistors that are recommended for replacement and I figure a recap is due on this 30+ year old amp. Fortunately, the seller also had the service manual.

After rejuvenation, it's going to drive the top half of my XPL-200A's. Can't wait to hear how that's going to sound
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

IMHO the M2 was the last of the really decent sounding Yamaha consumer seperates. I was in Japan when the M65, 85 series came out and side by side there was no comparison. The B2 was possibly even better than the M2 but I had limited exposure to it so I can't say for sure. When the B2 was out I had a Sansui B2000, which my M2 replaced.

Thread Information