Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tube amp vs. ss amp

Hammer Dynamics?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    ... but they image not nearly as well and sound less coherent than the Hammer Dynamics.
    I have not heard of them and certainly never heard them. In your previous post mentioning a "single driver plus super tweeter system", I pictured a Lowther or a Fostex based system... I have heard many of these and while they do provide a certain coherency, they have such a strong sonic signature that I have never been able to fully enjoy them.

I guess your system is something like one of these pictured below?

As for your comment about the 4345's lack of imaging and coherency, I agree completely. Apparently many of us listen to a speaker's imaging etc. quite differently or we have widely differing expectations since we frequently read about a forum member's 4345s or the other large 43XX series monitors having "great" imaging. I think they can sound great, and they can be improved with a few changes that several forum members have implemented, but a coherent focused soundstage is simply not one of their strengths.

Sorry about veering OT... if you would like to share more about your speakers, start a new thread and I'll repost this into it.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

you know, i have tried the open baffle approach as well with different drivers using 300B amps. problem is, it lacks the balls of say my 4343's, that i much rather listen to. sometimes i can be so anal about audio nuances that i may and may not even understand. i catch myself going in circles at times, this time i just wanted to warm up an inexpensive sherwood amp that i had put up. i was quite surprised and pleased. of the jbl's i own, the 4430's sound best with this amp. i really cant wait till the everest come in so i can try them with a 300B. once again, the L-250's sound pretty good with the threshold.

regards

Thread Information