Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Altec Model 19 First Impressions

Don,

Have you had an opportunity contact Kent English?

I understand he has mastered the art of taming Altec horns.

In any case I will see this first hand soon enough and advise on the specifics

Ian

thevott
    Easy on the Altecs people! The model Nineteen is more like a vintage 911 Porsche than a Packard and the 811B horn is quite tame when bolted into an enclosure.

When properly resored the Model Ninteens should prove to be a real showstopper.

MP

Todd W. White
    Packard's were far superior to ANY Mercedes....

Packard and Altec suffered the same fate - a superior product went away because the people who knew how to build it died or retired and the new owners with management degrees, who neither understood or cared to understand the products, managed the company into oblivion.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Pls see "Packard" thread in "off topic".

Todd W. White
    I looked, but didn't see a "Packard" thread in the Off Topic section....did I miss it?

Alex Lancaster

Smile

You´re quick, I´m not.

I dunno bout that!

Originally posted by Todd W. White
    Packard's were far superior to ANY Mercedes....

Packard and Altec suffered the same fate - a superior product went away because the people who knew how to build it died or retired and the new owners with management degrees, who neither understood or cared to understand the products, managed the company into oblivion.
    Packard may have suffered from mismanagement and gone by the wayside because of this, but I really doubt a 1950something Packard would honestly be be superior to " ANY " Mercedes today. Yes, the packard was made from heavier gauge metal, but would undoubtedly lack the safety features found commonly on todays automobiles! Things like anti-lock brakes, airbags, crumple zones, etc!

As for aerodynamics, speed, and handling what stock Packard from the 50,s will outdo todays Mercedes 0-60mph, or 1/4 mile! Even IF you had a tricked out Packard you still have a car with a much heavier weight, far less aerodynamic, that isnt anywhere near as fuel efficient as todays cars!

Now IF you were gonna tell me the Packards then were superior to todays American cars, well, in some aspects, maybe, but European , especially the German engineered Mercedes are tops and always have been. And the top of the line Mercedes are outstanding automobiles. Quick, fast, powerful, luxurious, with great handling and manuverabilty!

As for todays speakers, many of the latest products available are designed for extremely high power handling over very long periods of time. This they have accomplished, albeit, with alteration to tonal character, thats different from some of the highly prized vintage products. However, there are two sides to this coin too! The flip side to this is that although many of the Altec speakers of the past had a really nice sound, and I do LOVE Altec vintage woofers, could they be used in todays touring systems with the amplifiers commonly in use right now? Unfortunately, I dont think any of the Altec drivers will hold up being powered by amps like Crown 5000VZ,s, Crest 8001 and 9001,s, or QSC Powerlight 9.0,s!

I actually believe companies today ARE manufacturing WHAT the market wants! Showco, Claire Bros and other major touring companies want smaller, lighter spaeaker cabinets, and smaller higher powered amplifiers! Many of these companies engineers DO know that there is a compromise for this new technology, but they dont care. For these people its easier to move the new stuff, and it does in fact play louder! NO, It doesnt have the same tonality and sound that the older things had, but they dont care.

Nor do I see any of these companies going back to the technology of the past. Cause if they were, manufacturers would oblige them by making what they want! Showco and Claire bros alone spend tons of money on gear! They want speakers that can handle todays power, and yet be smaller and lighter than what we used to use!

Last week I watched the Britney Spears concert on TV live from Miami, and I could see line arrays hanging, but no VOTT anywhere. If the great sounding but big and heavy stuff of the past was available, would the touring companies opt to buy and use it?

I dont know!

Re: I dunno bout that!

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    If the great sounding but big and heavy stuff of the past was available, would the touring companies opt to buy and use it?

I dont know!

The answer is no, and also, todays best touring cabinets sound and measure better than the old stuff. Weight and portability are very important to profitability, but don't kid yourself about the sound quality that is available in live applications.

MBB

yes they do measure well.

Some of todays designs do in fact have extremely low, almost vanishing levels of distortion. And this is needed to be able to play at the extrememly high output levels they are designed to produce.

Some of todays concerts sound very good. Some of them are just too loud. But they have gotten it to work.

Profitability. Well, the bottom line will affect and always has affected things. Lighter and smaller is more profitable all the way around. From the manufacturer to the middle man down to the end user. Lighter weight and less space = lower freight costs. fact of life.

I agree, Mike, even if the older but big and heavy stuff was available, they wouldnt buy it the way they did 20 years ago. Another fact of life.

But, although I agree with you on most things said here, while todays best touring speakers DO measure better, sometimes they dont always sound better. I have heard some concert systems which were outstanding for what they were using them for, and I have heard some systems with the latest, most expensive technology and outstanding specs, sound like rubbish!

It does cut both ways!
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 04-03-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Charley Rummel

Cut the stuff and get back to the point!

People, Don has a pair of Altec model 19's. They are a landmark design we all regard as a great two-way system. Rather than get phylisophical about things here, let's get these puppies ALIVE AGAIN!! Who has resources to furnish Don with the parts needed to bring these fine speakers to stellar shape? Who wants to graciously give these needed components to Don AT NO CHARGE?

I've been in a career crunch recently, and I don't have a lot to my name, but I think Don McRitchie should realize some windfall from the efforts he's directed into this forum.

Regards,
    Charley

OK

Charley, what exactly does Don need? If I can help I will. Let me know.

Re: Cut the stuff and get back to the point!

Originally posted by Charley Rummel
    ...I think Don McRitchie should realize some windfall from the efforts he's directed into this forum.

Regards,
    Charley
    Right-o Charley. That was the thought behind Project May. http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...?s=&forumid=22

RSkarsten

I had a pair of nineteens once...

I regret trading them for a Teac 1/2" eight track around 16 years ago. The eight track quickly became obsolete and the 19's surly improved with age. In any event, I've been collecting componants through the years and now only lack the cabinets. Does anyone know where I can get some deminsions that are detailed enough for be to build a pair?

I'm at [email protected]

TIA
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by RSkarsten
    Does anyone know where I can get some deminsions that are detailed enough for be to build a pair?
    Russ
    Try a search on the Great Plains Audio Forum here:
    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...b=forum&f=3729

David

I've sent the original factory plans to your email address.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information