I just picked up an immaculate pair of L19's and a vintage Pioneer SX-1000td for $75. I haven't tried to power either up, however.
The L19's are mint, aside from deteriorated surrounds (new foams will be forthcoming compliments of Rick Cobb).
All corners/edges of the cabs. are as sharp as new, the grilles too are flawless - even the walnut has been oiled over the years and it glows. No scratches of any kind in the veneer, and hardly any on the bottom.
Even the original tags w/blue string are still on them, and the manual is like new.
I've never heard these, but based on their construction, I don't think that I made a mistake.
These are beautiful little speakers, and I respect the hell out of how well these were made. This craftmanship is what makes these 'vintage' IMO.
I'm wondering what I can expect sound-wise if I were to compare these to L20T's for instance.
Reason that I'm asking this particular comparision, is that it's the L20T that got me on the JBL kick in the first place. I need a reference that I can get my ears around.
I was astounded at the clarity of mids and highs that 25 year old L20's put out, and set out to find a pair of them.
BMWCCA snagged what appeared to be a beautiful pair of L20t's before I could get to them. I've been keeping my eye out for L series ever since.
The mid/tweeter is clearly different technology w/the L19's than that of the L20t, but if they approach the L20 sound in this size speaker, I'm a happy camper.
Can anyone who's heard both can weigh in?
Also, the woofs are 116H, so does that make these L19a?