Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec Pleated Edge Dope?

analogman

Altec Pleated Edge Dope?

I want to press my 130As into daily service. They are original mint examples with the untreated surrounds. I know that applying this stuff to originals is tantamount to sacrilege to some, but I want to use them, they just sound so good.
    Discussed this with Rick Cobb, this is an excerpt from his response:

Regarding the 130's, I don't know of anyone that manufactures the clear, viscous accordion edge surround dope like Altec use to sell for their 416, 604 & 605 speakers. That stuff was excellent and is what I would prefer to use if to treat the rolls. Altec dope would only add a small amount of needed damning to the cone and it would not raise the Fs. I would not try to paint water thinned PVA glue on the edges as some would suggest. That stuff is just not flexible enough when dried.

I am hoping someone here can help me locate or sell me enough of a comparable material to do two (2) 130As. I know these cones are very dry after nearly 50 years.

Any help with this would be well received.

Thank you for your help,
    Craig

Gary L
    I have seen this question kicked around here, or variants of it, a few times now.

I do remember hearing from others either here or at the Altec site that Great Plains Audio (GPA) has made the stuff available in the past.
    I can't say if they still do provide this black gunk in any form but I do like the way it perform on my Altec 414 and 416 woofers.

I don't even know if when I send a woofer out to GPA for a recone if the stuff is already on the accordion or if it is applied after the recone process is finished.

One thing I will caution you about with the goo. Very important to keep the speaker away from sun or heat as the stuff seems to never dry and remains to some degree a liquid when heated. As a normal corse of events I rotate my woofers to avoid unsightly running of the stuff and I think it also helps in avoiding VC sag in any one direction. Not sure if it does much of anything but I don't have woofers that have the drips like I have seen many times in the past.

Gary

Yeah, I remember a post on the altec site where Bill at GPA
    mailed some of this material overseas. I thought it was this
    surround goo we're talking about. I say call Bill...do not email
    and I'm sure he can hook you up. He's a great guy.
    www.greatplainsaudio.com

PVA comes in many different formulations...it's not just watered down white glue. The speaker application formulas have emulsions added that make for different flexibilities. The sealer for a foam surround would work well for the 130A as it's very flexible and will prevent the paper surround from cracking.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I can't say if they still do provide this black gunk in any form but I do like the way it perform on my Altec 414 and 416 woofers.

I don't even know if when I send a woofer out to GPA for a recone if the stuff is already on the accordion or if it is applied after the recone process is finished.

Gary
    The dope is clear and it is applied after the recone is complete.

Craig,I checked with Waldom electroinics and they sell a product-part number AA-75 clear edge treatment dampener,it comes in 1 quart cans,1-800-435-2931,they have a min. order of $50 which stopped me from ordering,I also need this treatment but not a quart,maybe we can get a few members together and put in a order.Wolf

analogman
    Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    Craig,I checked with Waldom electroinics and they sell a product-part number AA-75 clear edge treatment dampener,it comes in 1 quart cans,1-800-435-2931,they have a min. order of $50 which stopped me from ordering,I also need this treatment but not a quart,maybe we can get a few members together and put in a order.Wolf

Yes, I checked their web site too after reading of them in an old thread. They have (4) variants of this "AA-75" part #? Which AA-75 do we need :dont-know was my next question when I looked at their listing. I stopped there after seeing that a log in was required to get prices on line (something else to sign up for) and anticipated what you just told me, the old "minimum " purchase rub.

As far as a collective order, I'm all for it. I'd like to have a quart of the stuff if it's reasonable and any good.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Craig

analogman

Thanks........

.....interesting but not relevant.
    anecdotal at best.
    Craig

analogman
    When I spoke to my rep,I was told there was only one size and only one type,what you may have seen was more than one size but they no longer carry a 4oz size.the others listed were labels for the cans.as for cost it was around $28 a qt but that's just at the top of my head or wishful thinking.a price check would be in order.I found out about this stuff from Image comm and was told this is the stuff they used on all of there cone kits for edge treatment.I've never used it but was willing to try it out.as for a qt yourself-great but I'm thinking like 1/4 or less oz per speaker is in order.if I got 16oz,I'm sure that would be more than enough.lets see if any other members want to jump on board and make up a order,I tryed to get a online price but it said to call a rep. I already have an account/rep so doing a price check would only be a email.(phone calls to order seem to work real fast but getting info over the phone seems to take forever)

Sounds good, thanks for your efforts. If it is $28.00 dollars a quart, then I'm down for (1). That takes care of more than half the required minimum. Buy the second to split up and we've hit the mark.
    I can mail you a check if that helps.
    You know that if we gave up on this due to lack of interest, next week this time there would be five posts regarding same. I say "lezzzz dooo it"!

Thanks again for your leg work,
    Craig

analogman
    On another note; putting this stuff on my 130As is an irreversible commitment.
    I would like to embark on this with a manufacturer sealed, unopened container of the material.
    I'm certain you know what I'm saying.
    Craig

Gary L
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The dope is clear and it is applied after the recone is complete.
    Sorry to disagree John but the stuff Altec uses is jet black and looks just like tar when it drips down the cone from exposure to sun or heat!

Other substances used elsewhere may well be clear but not the Altec goo!

Gary

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    stuff i've pulled excess off of altec woofers has been a slightly transparent brown when put on a piece of painted white metal...

almost looks black in a dark room, but it appears to be more dark brown to me....

analogman
    Give them a call to get a price quote/shipping charges,you may want to ask how long its been on the shelf,sealed cans,any other questions you have.
    So you're not sticking with it?
    I don't have an account with those folks.
    I'm bewildered.
    Craig

analogman
    Give them a call to get a price quote/shipping charges,you may want to ask how long its been on the shelf,sealed cans,any other questions you have.
    What I was trying to express was simply I was down for a virgin can that hadn't been passed around.
    Starting with as known a quantity as possible, that's all.

Craig

Thread Information