Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screws and Fasteners

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbdown View Post
    Hi, guys...

Listen....JBL fastener selection was not Rocket Science!! Just find one that works cosmetically with what you want to see, get 'em in a good finish, and flow with it !!

Philister head was common, because it worked great with air-supplied installation tools, ( a bit deeper head slot, and even with the frame surface after installation) but never forget.....they had to make them production friendly and Marketing acceptable (ie.cheap!!)

If you, like me, prefer to hear you babies with their grilles off, then just get something that looks good to you as far as head style goes.

Cut to the chase, 'cause if you haven't got 'em mounted yet, then that can only mean you are not listening to them........I, personally, can think of no worse scenario.

With all due respect to the factory original.......

Rick (#12)
    I have to agree here, just get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dbdown View Post
    Hi, guys...

Listen....JBL fastener selection was not Rocket Science!! Just find one that works cosmetically with what you want to see, get 'em in a good finish, and flow with it !!

Philister head was common, because it worked great with air-supplied installation tools, ( a bit deeper head slot, and even with the frame surface after installation) but never forget.....they had to make them production friendly and Marketing acceptable (ie.cheap!!)

If you, like me, prefer to hear you babies with their grilles off, then just get something that looks good to you as far as head style goes.

Cut to the chase, 'cause if you haven't got 'em mounted yet, then that can only mean you are not listening to them........I, personally, can think of no worse scenario.

With all due respect to the factory original.......

Rick (#12)

Amen Rick!

RIP 2009
    The reason I want the JBL fasteners is two-fold. First, you really need either filister head or cap screws to correctly mount most JBL drivers, since they go down into the basket mounting holes. And second, the T-nuts JBL supplies have small diameter bases and long barrels - perfect for using near speaker holes. They even have some special ones that have flat edges on the base, for really close mounting, (hoping Edge has some of these). It's almost impossible finding the right combination from fastener supply places.

If this were simply to replace missing screws, I could get by, but I've got a bunch of custom stuff in the works...

John

Johnaec........

Sorry, buddy....I didn't get that it was the t-nuts that were the problem. I understood it to be the screws, and as discussed, any fillister head of the correct thread size/pitch would work.

I have, in the past, ground down the "land" of the t-nuts to work nearer the frames, and glued them into place enough to hold while carefully starting the screws. If you've got even one tooth left on the t-nut, it'll seat, and problem solved......at least untill the next time!! I have found a number of t-nuts locally, all sizes, which was not the case 20 years ago. I guess I am blessed to have Joe Factor Sales right close by to me in So.Cal!

I'll do some checking around locally and see if I can maybe help you out on this, OK?

Rick

Thread Information