jblbgw_man & scorpio,

For the record your posts are becoming more negative as the day rolls on.

You took my earlier post on the 4134 as an excuse to try start a bitch session on your own terms. Fail.

The whole topic is rather tired and reads like the guide to better mouse trap when its been beaten and hacked to death.

I am merely pointing out alternatives that other readers may find attractive (and have found highly successful).

That is within the rules.

You have seen fit to break the rules in terms of your behaviours and I suspect you will keep doing that because you enjoy it.

Decide if you want to stay or leave. That is your call.

Its only Feb 2009.

Of a more pragmatic and rational nature the average member would not have the skills to implement the mods to the 5235 you have described and I therefore question the value of it being in this particular forum or even being posted unless you are prepared offer an upgrade serviceor an instructional documented guide.

What you are doing is in principle a "personal" diy modification and while I can appreciate you might want to post or blog the story you should expect & anticpate comments, debate and discussions on what you are doing.

That is withn the Rules.

If you cant deal with that you don't belong on any public forums.

If you want to be a smart ass think twice about it.

I had no problem ripping though John Curl on Diy audio who relented.

My earlier point was that based on vast experience of a group of people (for those with a wider enough perspective on reality) that all these chip updates are just improvements to some ears and not others who might say its sounds different but not better.

Then there are things like power supplies and parts selection which can be a bigger mine field and it becomes inevitable that you end up with not a modification but a new bit of gear.

If you are prepared to look beyond that you can do a whole lot better if you are smart. The auditory problem is that when you mix and match different audio equipment in different systems the sonic differences are sometimes there and sometimes not. Hence I would caution anyone considering ripping into their 5235 to think about it (before you wipe of its Ebay value)

Its been picked over here on the forum on many ocassions. It would be useful to have all these types of threads on one place and figure outwhose thread was worth reading. Personally I would only bother reading 4313B's posts on the 5235 mods.

I would recommend the Ashy cossovers as a good alternative to the JBL 5235. Beyond that there are items like the Bryston which is a huge jump on the stock JBL crossovers , the Passlabs XVR1, the DEQX or some of the class A diy kits like Greg Ball, Borbely Audio and a few others in Europe supply.

In a commercial realisation JBL produced the DX1 but unfortunately the stock that was reserved for members was destroyed. The DX1 was designed for the real HiFi audio and had many unique features for a commercial crossover such as discrete class A high pass filter buffers, charge coupled filter capacitors and programmable filters among others.

Those that own them rave about them.

I have used two DX1 and used them extensively for some time along side the stock 5235. The difference is not subtle.

I am not going to comment on the specifics of the discrete opamp I am using as there are 100's of pages on diyaudio covering that topic including measurements. The circuit is identical for all intensive purposes to the XVR1 and there are specs on that unit. The proof is in the listening.