Thread: Starting my L112 project...

Starting my L112 project...

Hi. You can tell that I am new here. I have hung out on AK for several years, and have admired you all from afar, but had no reason to join. But I just picked up a set of L112's, bought the refoam kit from Rick Cobb, and will do some work on that this weekend.

My wife is going to be in Guatemala for 2 weeks, my daughter is away at school, I will miss them both, but I'm going to fix those babies up, I hope, and listen to a lot of tunes! I have been listening to some HPM 100's and 900's out in garage, so that will be the first comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolForARadio View Post
    I just picked up a set of L112's, bought the refoam kit from Rick Cobb, and will do some work on that this weekend.
    I have the same project on my to-do list, and they're my original L112s, bought twenty-six years ago today for our first anniversary. It's a family thing; my dad gave my mom my first 030 system for their anniversay when I was just a baby. By all rights I should celebrate the day re-surrounding my L112s, but my wife has other plans.

Good luck to you. It's a worthwhile project, and you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor!

That went pretty well. I worked really slowly and got them back together last night. I've refoamed several sets of speakers, but never done a back of the cone job or used a 30 hz tone for centering before. I hooked them up to a Marantz 2230 and listened to Donald Fagen's "Nightfly", and then Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum." Very nice!

Now I need some help repairing the grill frames. Almost all of the metal rods that give shape to the grill cloth have pulled loose from the plastic(?) frame that attaches to the cabinets. What's a good procedure for this repair?

We need some pics! Closeups of the frame before any judgement calls can be passed. Would love to see some pics before and after as well of those L112's!

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Here are some before and afters and a good look at the grill and frame. Gosh, those pictures look big when I preview them. If I am violating any standards, let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Cool

speaker good.
    look good.
    i like!

Quote Originally Posted by FoolForARadio View Post
    That went pretty well. I worked really slowly and got them back together last night. I've refoamed several sets of speakers, but never done a back of the cone job or used a 30 hz tone for centering before. I hooked them up to a Marantz 2230 and listened to Donald Fagen's "Nightfly", and then Mickey Hart's "Planet Drum." Very nice!

Now I need some help repairing the grill frames. Almost all of the metal rods that give shape to the grill cloth have pulled loose from the plastic(?) frame that attaches to the cabinets. What's a good procedure for this repair?
    Epoxy should hold them without problem. Just make sure the surfaces are clean and rust free. If you need someone to repair or recover them just let me know.

MB
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

Thread Information