Thread: Guidance

Guidance

Hello!

I am new to this site., even though I have been lurking for months. As a little background, I have been in and out of the industry as well as a big fan for decades. I worked my way through high school and college selling gear.. some being 70s era JBL. (L100 L200, L300)

In audio, many people go different routes over the years.. and I certainly have from Ohm Fs, KLH Nines (E-Stats), Cerwin Vegas, JBLs etc, etc. I currently own several pair of smaller JBLs (L110, L40t3, L88, L40, Lancer 33, JBL82) I maintain a rotation of gear in several different systems to keep the interest of playing with "new" things. All of this is meant as a preface of my question.

I would like to get at least one pair of larger JBLs. Maybe L250/250Ti (never heard either), L300/4333/4335 etc.. Dynamics present alot of credibility to sound and it's something I don't have alot of in my current rotation. Accuracy is important to me, within reason.. The goal of this purchase(s) would be to gain Dynamics with as much accuracy as I can get. Without a doubt, I don't like thumpy, flabby, loose, one-note bass.. or shrill highs.. A drum should sound like a drum (not a thump) and a cymbal like a cymbal (not a ssshhh). I can drive them with big SS or pretty good size Tube amps. In effect, I like Electrostat clarity, but want much more dynamics.

The question is, what would you JBL experts recommend as accurate, Dynamic, non-offending speaker system? My problem is even though I have alot of background, i haven't heard some of the statement products and most of the larger models in decades. I am positive my tastes have changed some. I remember not being overly fond of the L200, but know there are many tweaks for it to tighten it up.

As a further option, I have a complete woodshop and can build pro quality cabinets, even though it's not my profession, if the best option is compiling parts and assembling a system.

Sorry to be so long winded, but most of the above is relevant to the question.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Hello Cosmos

So you like no strain or audible compression with excellent clarity. OK we have similar tastes. I can think of at least 2 large format monitors the 4344 and 4345 that can certainly handle the dynamics and clarity end of it. I have 4344's clones and they are fun!! The XPL-200 also does very well with this. I can't comment on the L250ti as I have never heard a pair.

On the DIY front you can choose the "fastest" drivers and give them a try to see what you like. If you go that route for clarity and speed the Berylium compression drivers I think would be the ticket.

If you have not heard any of these systems in a while I would try to find someone who has a pair to go have a listen. There is a lot more to this than just dynamics as you know. You really need to find a well balanced system that does everything to your liking and these may not.

Rob

I can comment on the 250Ti's -- I do own a pair.

I really enjoy them. No strain in either the mids, highs, or lows. Incredible low end -- no need for a subwoofer.

I would say any of the top end JBLs are great, it is just whatever you can get your hands on. Most of the top JBLs are scarce on the secondary market.

Good luck.

-Storm.

Thank you for your input. I think the only forward path is to hear some of these systems. Unfortunately, the idea of doing so is much easier than actually doing it.

You done did it...

You guys are to blame... (that's my excuse anyway )

It took a while, but a couple months ago I bought some JBL 250Ti Limited Edition speakers. I replaced the 035Tia-1 which were blown with some 035Tia that I had available and replaced the foam surrounds on the woofers.

These speakers are very, very nice!

However, I have a couple questions..

1. It doesn't appear from my research that there is a significant difference in the 035TIa and 035Tia-1, correct?

2. Are there any updates that would take these up a notch, such as crossover changes or driver changes that would be worth exploring? I really like Girards thread on his 250 - XPL clones. Perhaps there is an opportunity for change?

3. Does anyone have detailed drawings for the 250Ti cabinets? My cabinets, prior to my purchase sustained some moisture damage around the bottom of the cabinet. The cabinet seems to be structurally sound, but it isn't the prettiest cabinets around if you look closely..

Thank you very much, in advance, for your help.

BTW, I had the 250Ti LE playing at the AKfest in Detroit over the weekend. They were a hit!

Thread Information