Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings, JBL Friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    You are very welcome Doc on the forum. Hope to hear more from you in the future.
    Hey, Rolf,

Thank you, very much, Sir! I can already see, as it is in stove collecting, there seems to be some strong interest in JBL over in Norway, which is outstanding!! I hope to have many questions for you Gentlemen, and to visit whenever I can do so. I stumbled onto the stove collector's site to which I belong, in much the same way I found you Guys, while looking for something specific! I remember, back then, telling the Guys on the stove site that, due to lots of work, I wouldn't be visiting too much. Yeah, right!! Now, after a few years, I'm closing in on 6,000 posts!! Danged blabber-mouth, that's me!! Most of it is pure , I have to admit!! In any case, I'm so very happy to have found this site, and I'm quite impressed by the quality of the membership I've seen so far! Very nice, indeed! Talk to you later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Greetings, Gentlemen,

Just a brief update. Today, I hooked the 2242HPL, propped up off it's vents, to one channel of my subwoofer amp, and ran some music through it. I picked a tune called "Africa", by Checkfield, two guys from San Diego, who did a few recordings "back in the day". Lots of good percussion, and some good bottom end. Since the 18" driver was not in a cabinet, I didn't crank the SPL, but I did turn it up a little, just for grins. For satellite speakers, I hooked up a little pair of JBL 2500's that I found at another swap meet, for $30. They sound nice, but are definitely not in the class of the earlier and better made JBL stuff. Still, for a small bookshelf speaker, I rather like them. In any case, the 2242HPL made a difference in the sound, and the depth of the subwoofer signal, and I could detect no rattle, buzz, or other anomoly, which had made me a Happy Camper, indeed, with my $30 18" subwoofer!! Now, how can I get a nice 8 cubic foot cabinet without having to take the time to build one???!! Nah, I'll wait until I have time to build a good solid cabinet for this big guy. But, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with what he can add to my system, even after this small preliminary test. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Does anyone know when the Model 2500's were made? Any information about them will be appreciated, too. Thanks, very much!

Evening, Grumpy,

You are the man, Sir! Thanks, very much!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    ...I remember, back then, telling the Guys on the stove site that, due to lots of work, I wouldn't be visiting too much. Yeah, right!! Now, after a few years, I'm closing in on 6,000 posts!!
    Uh, make that 5,821 posts as of today. That is 7.20% of the total posts on that Forum, at a rate of 4.69 posts per day.

Egads...

Dood! You need to find a bunch more hobbies!!

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Uh, make that 5,821 posts as of today. That is 7.20% of the total posts on that Forum, at a rate of 4.69 posts per day.

Egads...

Dood! You need to find a bunch more hobbies!!
    Hey, Bo,

Are you a stove collecter, too??? Are you a member of CCS? If so, what name do you use over there? I'm "Doc" for CCS, to many of my friends, and any other forums to which I belong. But, the stove site is the only one where I've really dug down deep! I've been collecting the little beggars for around 30 years, and have more than several of them! Please let me know how you found out about that site, Bo! I look forward to hearing about this! take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Bo, actually, I have more hobbies than I have time for, unfortunately! But, stoves, is a big one, and speaker building, which came from the old musician days, used to be a big one, too. I look forward to dusting off some formulas and building a few boxes this Summer!

Good Morning, Gentlemen,

I was perusing my old JBL enclosure building information last night, and comparing it to the newer ways that JBL seems to be building cabinets, and a few questions have come into my rather feeble brain. Mostly, this has to do with bracing inside the cabinets.

My most successful systems, "back in the day", were all made using the tons of bracing and cleats that JBL used to recommend back then. These cabinets were rock-solid, never rattled, buzzed, or added anything to the sound of the music reproduced by the transducers mounted inside them. Now, I see that JBL is using very little in the way of bracing, when compared to the "old days", and I wonder what has changed since I was building all those large, heavily-braced cabinets back then? Is all that bracing now considered over-kill? Is not no longer needed, and if not, why not?

I won't be beginning my subwoofer projects until mid-Summer, but I'd very much like to hear what you all think about the reduced bracing inside modern JBL cabinets. Thanks, very much, for any comments or ideas you can send my way. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information