Thread: Pre-Amp recommendations

Pre-Amp recommendations

Hi All

I've been running my Performance Series 5.2 (x 2 HTPS-400's) off a HK AVR354 + AVA7 amp, using the pre-outs, for a couple years. Recently the pre-out connects went bad and introduced a bunch of hum to the system which I could not remedy. I was forced to go to the integrated's 75WPC, which only needs to power the 5 PT800s, but in some conditions I need to run it at 80% of max with associated compromises....

I use the system primarily for Movies/TV, and about 30% of the time Music from a variety of redbook/SACD/Streaming.

I'm weighing whether to buy another integrated with more power (125W Denon/Yamaha? seeing that the PS1400s and HTPS-400 are powered), or......... try the dedicated pre-amp route, which I've never done. My primary concern is that the pre-amp would not have the same GUI flexibility to balance the gain, switch between cable/appletv/DVD-CD sources from which all my media feed, allow the choice of analog or digital input, ability to decode DTS-Master and other advanced

Guessing today's pre-amps are equipped to handle all of this but since I've always had integrated I'm leery. I'd also like to not rely on the upgraded DAC on my Oppo 83SE if the pre-amp can take all digital and do the DAC and switching itself (the DAC on my HK is inferior). Can those running a HT off a pre-amp tell me what the compromises would be?

Much Thanks.
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

I had a similar system here for a long time. For most of it's life I had a Denon DN-A7100 pre-amp and Acurus power amps that I was completely happy with. That would still be good enough to use today, though the two hdmi inputs look skimpy by today's standards. And the lack of RCA outputs on the Denon might be a headache. I'm now using a Onkyo PR-SC5509. It has direct audio mode and all of the surround modes you could ask for except for the latest Atmos with height channels. I'm using five of the eleven channels that are available and don't feel any need to add more speakers to the system. Any compromise from using a digitally based pre-amp over analog is insignificant to me. And I've had some great analog pre-amps, the best of them being a Belles. It was flawless, but it didn't do home theater. By some accounts these older Onkyos or Integras have less compromises in their circuit design than the newer versions. And the Integra version is available for pretty reasonable cost refurbished. The downside is that those pre-amps are refurbished for a reason. They failed once before. Mine is working out very well though. I make sure to give it some space in the rack for cooling.

Anyone who has experience with JBL SDP-5?
    Not quite new, but possible it has some qualities?
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

I haven't heard one of those SDP processors, but I've read in other places that the logic 7 is well respected. I'd only suggest to be sure about the version that you are looking at and be sure that it has everything you need as far as inputs and outputs. They are Lexicon units rebadged and black in color, so that helps looking for reviews. The ones with HD on the model name have HDMI ports. This one on ebay looks like a reasonable deal if the bidding doesn't go crazy.

Thread Information