Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looky what I got! 1 Owner L100s off DC CL

Looky what I got! 1 Owner L100s off DC CL

Saw them on the DC Craigslist today -
    apparently they were posted yesterday at 3:40 and must have missed the lunchtime lookers ...

================================================== ===
    JBL Loud Speakers - Set of 2 - $## (McLean)

Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2008-04-30, 3:34PM EDT

Pair of JBL loudspeakers - wonderful sound, grill (foam) is missing but can be easily replaced. Great for some youngster to "tinker" with. Purchased in
    1976, still have original manual. Finish is oiled walnut. Asking $##.00.

================================================== ===

Based on comments from all of you I figured it was a reasonable shot, if they were in halfway decent shape.
    So I sent off an email and waited.

But by the time they called me back they had bumped them to 4x the price (still a killer deal!) ...

They said they'd had quite a few interested folks and someone was looking at them when they called me,
    but if they didn't buy them I could look at them this evening.

We went by, checked them out (Aja, Diana Krall, David Sylvian 88 Live show), and decided to pick them up.
    They looked good and sounded good -
    the guy was running them with an old Sansui 9010 he got with them at the base exchange in Germany ... back in the day.

I unhooked them and connected his spares in their place - a pristine set of Bose 301s (!)

We just got them home, and after a quick wipe with a bit of Howard's orange oil, they're cleaning up nicely ...

Now I need to check in with Indycraft or sonofagun for some foam!
    Although - I do have a pair of the Eames style L88 grills that I've always loved the look of ...
    probably need to redo the grillcloth for them, but they fit just inside the L100 grillframes like they were made for that use ...

More Pix tonight ...
    ($ prices removed to avoid souring the market, and to favour the innocents)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Great score, Heather!!!

Larry

What color are you gonna go with for the foam?

Nice grab- you building an extension onto your house as an excuse for yet another pair of JBLs? Mine sound good on that Yamaha power amp you borrowed from me, fire 'em up!

je

GREAT SCORE INDEED!!!

Past practice indicates future behavior.

Let's see them puppies with their grilles off!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Let's see them puppies with their grilles off!
    Okay! The foam around the dome tweeter was crumbled and I was able to very slowly ease the edge of the clear tape backing off, so I'm ready to order new tweeter foams for that. They are not mirror image, they are model L100 Century.
    Apparently I need to get a pair of ZIlch plugs if I want to tame the boom box effect, unless I just want to let them be what they were born to be!

I think I'll stack them on my L200 (plus) ... for now!
    Whoa - gotta pull out Quadrophenia and have a kegger! Woohoo!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Nice!!, try "The Real Me", my favorite

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quadrophenia, Beer & JBLs

Very Nice Heather

The cabs look to be in real nice shape, good for you!

Did you say Kegger!!!!!
    Just Play Music.

dont you just love this white of this white woofers?
    great buy heather!

mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Very Nice Heather

The cabs look to be in real nice shape, good for you!

Did you say Kegger!!!!!
    Well, thats the legend, innit?
    Din't everyone in college in the 70s have a friend with a pair of these, and on Friday night, somebody got a keg and ... Woohoo!!!

But, our mint patch in the back yard came back this year with a vengence - so I started mixing Mojitos last week - grind the mint down with a bit of raw sugar and a tablespoon of rum to help release the mint oils, then add the lime and the crushed ice and the rest of the Barbancourt rhum- Yummm!

And the speakers? - when I got out of college in 76, I couldn't justify L100s so I wound up buying L36 decades ... but now?? Ah'm reliving my lost youth!

Okay - new pix - stack 'em up!
    (and if you look carefully, you can see a zilch-plug in the right port of the L200, painted black)
    And just to calm Zilch and Gisk - I only had one set of speakers going at a time - but gawd,
    I forgot just how bad those 70s push-pin factory connectors were - UGH!

Larry, "LRBacon," gave me some sound advise on L-Pad settings to avoid or at least lessen listener fatigue. Presence @ 1, brilliance @ 4 gives a very good balance to their sound. But hey, after a few brews, crank them puppies all the way!
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Well they seem to stack up very nicely and I doubt those push pins are going to hang around too much (cant abide by those myself, I even replaced the ones on the 4430's, they were killing me). How did they sound to you seeing as how your listening sensibilities have become more discriminating, just as you remember them? Still fun I'm sure.

I'm down with the Mojito action and we're just starting to get into Mojito season (cant do mojitos in winter), I got a big (ever expanding) patch of mint that I use mainly for my Vietnamese & Thai gasrtronomicus adventures but it also comes in handy with the old ito.

Would we need a keg of Mojitos then?

BTW the grilles on the 200s look great, are you going to match the same color for the 100s?
    Just Play Music.

Of course, living in the south, today is Derby Day - so I "ought" to be into Mint Julips for the day ... but its supposed to be pretty warm (82 here yesterday!) so after yardwork and stuff I'll probably settle down with a Newcastle or the last of the killer beers Subwoof brought us when he visited last fall ...

The Azaleas are just past full bloom right now, and I redid the waterfall in the pond, so that means lots of time out back listening to the birds - but its a little yard as Sub or Opimax'll tell ya ...

Oh, yeah, speakers - well, by the time I had them stacked for pictures last night it was nearly 11, so I didn't crank them much - ran a "The Real Me", few Stones tracks, Blue Oyster Cult (Last Days of May) and for grins, that Kirsty MacColl track (There's a Guy Works down the Chip Joint Swears He's Elvis - a real rockbilly kind of thing).
    But maybe Monday or Tues when Em is away I can pull out Who's Live at Leeds (or Isle of Wight) CD and shake them down ... (Wight has "Tommy" Live).

Grills - I'm kinda leaning towards the blue for the fun, but I'll probably get the chocolate Brown ones so they match the decor better, and, if I decide to, to make them easier to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Well they seem to stack up very nicely - How did they sound to you seeing as how your listening sensibilities have become more discriminating, just as you remember them? Still fun I'm sure.

BTW the grilles on the 200s look great, are you going ot match the same color for the 100s?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And just to calm Zilch and Gisk - I only had one set of speakers going at a time
    It's SOP to deploy every loudspeaker one has for keggers.

Thread Information