Thread: I'm not there

I'm not there

Well, I saw the non-Dylan , Dylan movie "I'm not there" today. I don't know what to think of it. I mean, its very imaginative to have black kids , Cate Blanchette , richard Gere playing Bob, and there were many memorable scenes , BUT , I don't know if it was a fantasized bio pic, or an interpretation of reality. ????

It was worth watching once, but I don't think that owning it wud be worthwhile.

Any body else seen it / have an opinion ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Seen any other movies by the director, Todd Haynes?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001331/

"From from Heaven" was a biggie - pretty cool fim and an homage to the Douglas Sirk films (like "All That Heaven Allows" with Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson). His other big previous film was "Velvet Goldmine" (Ewan Mcgregor & Christian Bale, among others) - a interesting romp through the glam/glitter era of stars like Bowie, Marc Bolan and Eno ...

"I'm Not There" is on my Netflicks list but will probably come NEXT week ...
    I think Todd Haynes films are more about a feeling of time or a person, rather than a straight telling of a tale ... probably why he used a number of folks to capture all those personas of Dylan ... its edgy, its wacky, but - why not?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Well, I saw the non-Dylan , Dylan movie "I'm not there" today.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Okay, we had "I'm not There" over the weekend, via netflix ... what a train wreck!
    Lots of interesting images and the songs used were off the beaten path, but - it just kinda wandered and moseyed around the story and the script seemed REAL wide open. I'd say Definately not one to buy, at least for me ... (and I did buy Far from Heaven). We did think Cate Blanchett was amazing ... quite intriguing - compare this to her take on "Kate Hepburn" in The Aviator ... or "Oscar and Lucinda"

Well, I saw the non-Dylan , Dylan movie "I'm not there" today. I don't know what to think of it. I mean, its very imaginative to have black kids , Cate Blanchette , richard Gere playing Bob, and there were many memorable scenes , BUT , I don't know if it was a fantasized bio pic, or an interpretation of reality. ????

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

richard Gere playing Bob
    Just the fact that he's playing Bob would freak me out man! hence I probably wouldnt even bother,
    severely dislike gere
    the rest of the actors are cool and would probably see the movie if he was not in it, him playing Bob would imprint itself in my mind just like one of those bad songs on re-play, hate it when that happens
    Just Play Music.

Movies like this make me wish I'd spent the time listening to music instead of watching some cinematic steaming pile.

Cool But he WAS there ....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ctnBQD9A2UAHO1

You're Bob Dylan?...... NJ police want to see some ID

By WAYNE PARRY (AP) – 21 hours ago
    Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.
    Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.
    A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.
    "I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.
    The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.
    The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:
    "What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.
    "Bob Dylan," Dylan said.
    "OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.
    "I'm on tour," the singer replied.
    A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.
    The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.
    The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.
    The officers thanked him for his cooperation.
    "He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.
    How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.
    Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Another case of.......

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ctnBQD9A2UAHO1

You're Bob Dylan?...... NJ police want to see some ID

By WAYNE PARRY (AP) – 21 hours ago
    Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.
    Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.
    A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.
    "I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.
    The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.
    The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:
    "What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.
    "Bob Dylan," Dylan said.
    "OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.
    "I'm on tour," the singer replied.
    A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.
    The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.
    The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.
    The officers thanked him for his cooperation.
    "He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.
    How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.
    Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    ....................facial profiling.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, and lucky the story didn't end in a shooting? No...

Thread Information