Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everest DD5500, opinions

Everest DD5500, opinions

has anyone here ever heard any? how do they sound? how are they in a home enviorment? i was going through the products page, and looking at all the many speakers and saw these, very impressive looking to say the least. how would these compare to say the 4345's, or the bigger studio monitors? how would these be with tube amps? thanks for your responses.. all and any info is appreciated.

regards

Maron Horonzakz
    Dont buy untill you hear it first.... $60,000 is alot of money to buy blind... JBL does not provide the oppertunity to audition in local areas.

I think the DD55000 was the first Everest... ca. 1985-89...

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/everest.htm
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=5671
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...999-prices.htm

if you search here, there have been some owners and DIY-ers that have
    posted comments (IIRC)...

Maron Horonzakz
    Even so JBL didnt provide enough dealers to audition that Everest... I heard it at the CES show,,,Lousy achoustics... What were they thinking?

i am being offered a set, within driving distance. the seller is out of town much, so arrangements will be difficult. i was told that they are in good physical shape, great operational wise. he already sold all of his electronics, so testing will be difficult as well. he guarantees them being original and fully operational. we are not talking chump change though, so, would these be an upgrade to some 4343's, 4345's or the 4450's? or should i hold till one of the mentioned become available, ( 4345, 4450 )? according to information by mr. greg timbers; these were a no holds barred type speaker.

regards

thanks for the info grumpy....... in 1986 it says everest $1000 ea.; in 87 $4900 ea. ? i tried a search but did not come up with much.

regards

I wouldn't put much faith in the $1000 figure

How they might integrate into your living space, and whether or not you
    like their sound would be good questions for either the DD55000's or
    large 43xx monitors. You should really listen to them first. I've setup all
    the parts and enjoy the top end along with it's unique directivity design
    in my living room, but it's not an effect that is universally praised.

grumpy, do you have some? i have a set of 4343's, they sound great in my small listening/untreated family room, 15 x 17 x 8..... i rather have the kids run around than an acoustically treated room..lol.. i am undecided, i was saving up for a pair of 4345's. i currently use 2- b 360's w/ the 4343's, mostly at low levels. i am looking for an upgrade to my 4343's.

regards

You should not be dropping serious money on any speakers you have never heard. Bring an integratred amp and a CD player with you if you audition. The Everests will sound different from the monitors especially as you move through the room. Very different concepts at work just like the differences between the 4300 and 4400 series.

Rob

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/...lar%20Area.pdf

Have the parts, ...never set up the bottom end in a cabinet (E145-8), just the top
    (2346 horn, 2426, 2405 drivers) and related crossover elements (used 4430 and
    an electronic xover for the bottom). It's all been put away for now.

If you really like the 4343's, the 4345's might make more sense... with the Everest's
    you'd likely continue to use the B380 or B460's (?) you mentioned you had.

the 4343's are good, i like them. i dont mind using the b 380 as a sub. i was wanting to have a listen to something else though. i was looking into a used set of westlakes, but none for sale. i also thought about some dunlavy sc IV a, or the sc v. i was thinking about some 4450's, but i dont think i have the real estate for those. and i do not have the time, patience, knowledge, tools, ect, ect. to build any, so THAT IS OUT OF THE QUESTION.... i will take an int. tube amp with an i-pod to have a listen. he has a pretty big house, so im sure they will sound different in my house.

regards

Do a search here on DD55000
    ... lots of opinions

thanks grumpy. i already did. mostly good. my mistake was looking up 5500, not 55000.........duhhh... i am still new to this so my models/numbers stll need correcting. seller just called me, and told me $5,500 delivered, if i was still interested...this guy is on and off of planes all the time, i will have to ask him what he does for a living...

regards

probably a pilot!
    the everest is pretty rare isnt it?
    (at least in europe it is)
    in my opinion, if you want speakers like that and can afford it -go for it. they really dont get any cheaper in the future i guess...you can sell them if you find something you like better.

information:
    >I HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM<

mikey

Hi.

Don't by the DD55000. You will be soooo disappointed comparing to the 4343's. The DD55000 has no low end, and if they may have a chance to play good, they need a very large room with a lot of stuff (trouble) in the room to sound 1/2 of the 4343 series.

Upgrade the 4343's with new x-overs and "go to heaven" in listening. (So I have been told, waiting for them now)

My meaning.

Thread Information