Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple system - 4333

Simple stereo system with 4333

The power amp is a Hafler FET hung on the back of one of the 4333s. The object was to have a very uncluttered look.

Last edited by John Nebel; 04-11-2004 at 06:01 PM.

John,

Is that Revox deck I see there?

Ian

Ian,

Yes, same generation as the JBLs and also built like a tank. An early CD player that still holds its own.

John
    Last edited by John Nebel; 04-11-2004 at 06:22 PM.

So is this system for light entertainment or for guests your really not sure about...LOL

Ian

Ahh, simplicity=elegance, very nice. John, I have been fooling around with a 4333 DIY version in a 4505 (the 4320/4325 style box) cabinet that I raised about 15". Having the mids and highs at ear level does wonders for me, have you tried it?

As well, I am biamping the whole shebang at 100Hz to subs (Altec now, soon to be changed to two 2231A's reconed with 2235 cones per channel) in my room corners - allowing the 4333's to sit out in front, away from the back wall (about 4 feet) about 10 feet from my seated position. Works well here.
    C.

Knowing you, John, there's at the least some coasters under that Revox!

Is this Tom's set-up? Hmm-mmm good!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Huh? I didn't even see the rug! Guess for punishment I have to watch 15 back to back episodes of "Trading Spaces"!.
    C.

Tom Loizeaux
    A very nice presentation of a pair of 4333s. (Bi-amping those can be your next project)
    I see you don't have the nameplates displayed. Do you have them? If not, would you like them?
    If so, I can help you with that quest.

The hero spots in my room are taken with my pair of 4343s, so the 4320s and 4333s have to settle for being slid around as I play with "options".

Tom

Hi Chas,

Never tried them on stands. The bass is a little emphasized by having them close to the wall, but not too bad in that room.

I've listened to 4343s which put the mids and highs closer to ear level, but the 4333s on the floor hold their own pretty well.

The original owner had them suspended judging from the eye-bolts on the back when I bought them back in the early-1980s.

Probably not many people in town knew how good things were and the seller was quite relieved to get the price she was asking.

John
    Last edited by John Nebel; 04-12-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Bo,

Ann and Tom have an S8R system. Last summer I had the LE15's reconed and remagnetized by Orange County - they were not Pro so JBL would not look at them. I replaced the compression drivers with the pro version which were bought used and sent into JBL. The LE85s have the original wax seals and I suggested they hang onto them - weird that fixing those drivers would destroy their value.

John

Tom Loizeaux
    I just finished putting grille cloth on the two frames I made for the 4333Bs. I mounted the nameplates, mounted the grille frames and sat to admire them for a few moments. Then I decided to not just look at them, but to let them speak. I switched them to EXTERNAL mode, plugged in my full-range bananas from one of my Crown PS-400s, put on a jazz CD, dimmed the lights and let those wash over me. Yes, internal crossovers, sitting on the floor, no EQ and no tweaking... they just played! Simply beautiful!
    It was a celebration of the completion of many months of restoration work on these 4333s. I'm just going to enjoy them for a few days before I move them out of the way of my 4343s.
    Sorry there are no photos, but my digital card reader is on the fritz - and I still can't seem to get this forum to take any of my jpgs anyway.
    I'll take some photos soon and will try again to post them here soon.

Tom

Tom,

Yes, 4333s are a pretty good match for 4343s!

I'd made the trade-off for simplicity and a clean look with that system, but agree that bi-amping is the recommended way to go. There is another detail - old house - one circuit for the second floor fed by knob and tube wiring. The basement listening room is a different story, 2kw of Macs.

What kind of grille cloth did you find for your 4333s?

John

Ian,

It's a little old, but did find the vegemite.

John

Tom Loizeaux
    John,
    I've been using the dark gray cloth from Parts Express. I think its actually better looking then the original black material JBL used on their "utility" versions. It seems to be slighty more transparant, which I like, and is still quite dark compared to the warm gray of the cabinets. If I had the WX cabinets, I'd be looking for the JBL blue, but, other then my 4312As (which have the black cloth) all my JBL cabinets are gray. If I ever decide to re-cover my 4343s, I'll face the decision to do them in original black cloth or the dark gray I'm using on the other models. I also figured out how to correctly mount the nameplates! Photos later.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 04-15-2004 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks, Tom.

No one appears to have found the JBL blue cloth yet.

John

Thread Information