Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL L110 against JBL L3

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Glad to hear that you like them. I've been enjoying L110's for some 25 + years.

Jan, do you know if you have the L110's or L110A's? If you have L110A's, there are the letters "A" & "H" die stamped to the right of the serial number on the foilcal. No die stamped letters, you have the original L110. The L110A has a different crossover network and woofer. The L110A, I believe was the first speaker JBL used bypass capacitors in the crossover network.

I am familiar with the L96 which has the tweeter and midrange in common with the L112. I think you'll find that the L112 has a more accurately defined top end compared to the L110. I can't say much about the bottom end since I don't believe I have ever listened to the L112. If I have, it was a long time ago.

Larry
    Hi Larry,

It seems i have a acquired a pair of the original JBL L110's. There are no indications to the right of the serial number. One of the loudspeakers has serial number 43107.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Hi Jan, you may have the L110's on stands already, but if not, I can
    comment that my L96's sound better to me raised up ~45cm.
    (they also get listened to almost every night as opposed to my L112's
    ... also nice, but the bass is more suited to a larger room than where
    I have the L96's) -grumpy
    Hi Grumpy,

Yes i put them on stands just as you did. I already used those stands for my JBL 4312 A loudspeakers. You're quiete right regarding the connection between the measurements of the woofer and the listening room.
    The L110's sound very tight and controlled in my room.

Kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

At least 2 persons claim to have JBL L8's. Whats an L8 ?

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/jbl/f...0_1594crx.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jan_slagman View Post
    Tonight i spoke to the seller and he told me he liked his pair of JBL L 80 T's better than the highly praised JBL L 112. He said in his opinion his JBL L 80 T's sounded more dynamic.
    I have some L80T's..they are "storage queens"....dont care for the sound, but they were a very cheap source of spare drivers for my 4410's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I have my L110's in my work shop office and enjoy their sound, greatly!

I was able to fix one of my 033 tweeters, and am always looking for a spare pair.

I am very glad you have made a great trade, and am assured that you will be very happy with the L110.

Congratulations on your good fortune!

Scott.
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC˛ ±3db

Quote Originally Posted by jan_slagman View Post
    Hi Larry,

It seems i have a acquired a pair of the original JBL L110's. There are no indications to the right of the serial number. One of the loudspeakers has serial number 43107.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands
    Hi Jan,

Another way to tell is by the port or duct. If you look in the port and can see the yellow fiberglass then you have the L110's. The L110A's have an elbow shaped port.

They are a nice solid sounding speaker, sure happy you like them.

Larry

The L112 features the 128H 12 inch woofer, probably the best 12 JBL made in terms of low distortion, uncolored sound. Truly a great driver.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

Quote Originally Posted by duaneage View Post
    The L112 features the 128H 12 inch woofer, probably the best 12 JBL made in terms of low distortion, uncolored sound. Truly a great driver.
    Does the H-1 also make that same short list?
    Just curious; my 128H inventory outnumbers my 128H-1 by two-times.

JBL L3 against JBL L110

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Hi Jan,

Another way to tell is by the port or duct. If you look in the port and can see the yellow fiberglass then you have the L110's. The L110A's have an elbow shaped port.

They are a nice solid sounding speaker, sure happy you like them.

Larry
    Hi Larry,

Yes, you're right ! Now i know for sure i have acquired the JBL L110's.
    Thanks for your information.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Does the H-1 also make that same short list?
    Just curious; my 128H inventory outnumbers my 128H-1 by two-times.
    Pretty sure the differences are purely cosmetic.

JBL L110 failing L-pads

Hi friends,

Tonight i scored a flawless JBL 033 tweeter on Ebay America. No dents and in good working order. Now i only have to replace the L-pads. I reoiled the cabinets and i cleaned the loudspeakerclothing. The L110's look pristine right now.
    Tonight I played a CD of Nokie Edwards, solo-guitarist of the American guitar band The Ventures. (Walk don't run; Wipe out, Hawai Five 'O, etc.) I heard him "live", touring the Netherlands, The U.K. and Denmark. I was asked to be his personal supporter in the Netherlands during one of his performances. I heard him playing in the dressingroom as well and i recognised the sound of his Mosrite guitar very clearly on my JBL L110 loudspeakers.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by jan_slagman; 05-05-2008 at 12:35 AM. Reason: correction

VOTT
    With the L110's, as with many speaker, the better the amp, the better the speakers. I have mine set aside for a while as I use a pair of 4312's but I once drove the L110's with an old Sony TA-N77ES amp for a while (until I sold the amp—maybe not the brightest thing to do) and those speakers sounded like they could have cost over a grand. Like any system, get a good amp if you speakers are worthy of one, and those older JBL's are worthy.

I agree with Vott concerning the amp. My L110's came alive after I got a Phase Linear 400 and Soundcraftsmen preamp. Before that I was considering recapping the x-overs. Any quality speaker will benefit from a good amp.

JBL L110 Speakers - ?'s Re: Receiver and Grill Cloth Replacements

This is my first post as a new member. What a great site. I am not sure if I should be responding to this thread or starting a new one, so thx for your patience either way.

I bought a pair of JBL L110 speakers around 1980, along with a CR 620 Yamaha Receiver @ 35 watts per channel. Both are in still in great condition and have served us well. Specific questions:

~ The Yamaha CR 620 needs to be replaced for "size" reasons as much as anything. We do not need 'surround sound' and just desire good quality stereo to best accommodate the L110's. Question - What is the best receiver to replace the 620 asssuming a budget of 400 to 600? I know zilch about separate pre-amp and amps, and want to keep it as simple as possible while getting the most out the speakers. A local store recommended the HK 3490. The Yamaha RX 797 is another option. I'd consider "separates" but know zip about pre-amps and amps.

~ The 110's are in good condition (refoamed several yrs ago), but I would like to replace the grill fabric. Is there a company that will do this or can one buy the fabric somewhere?

Thanks! Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimruns View Post
    This is my first post as a new member. What a great site. I am not sure if I should be responding to this thread or starting a new one, so thx for your patience either way.

I bought a pair of JBL L110 speakers around 1980, along with a CR 620 Yamaha Receiver @ 35 watts per channel. Both are in still in great condition and have served us well. Specific questions:

~ The Yamaha CR 620 needs to be replaced for "size" reasons as much as anything. We do not need 'surround sound' and just desire good quality stereo to best accommodate the L110's. Question - What is the best receiver to replace the 620 asssuming a budget of 400 to 600? I know ZILCH about separate pre-amp and amps, and want to keep it as simple as possible while getting the most out the speakers. A local store recommended the HK 3490. The Yamaha RX 797 is another option. I'd consider "separates" but know zip about pre-amps and amps.

~ The 110's are in good condition (refoamed several yrs ago), but I would like to replace the grill fabric. Is there a company that will do this or can one buy the fabric somewhere?

Thanks! Jim
    Welcome Jim. Regarding grille fabric you already intuitively mentioned the name of our resident haberdasher.. You will have great difficulty finding the almost sheer fabric original to the L110 , the gentleman you mentioned does have a stock of authentic JBL monitor blue cloth at very reasonable $$$$$.
    You will have to find his member details and send him a private message.
    Best regards Mac

Thread Information