Thread: dbx 10/20 EQ

dbx 10/20 EQ

I was offered a dbx 10/20. How are these regarded nowadays?

It would come w/rack ears and more important, the calibrated microphone which is necessary to use the unit's pink noise generator. It allows the EQ to "adjust itself for the room acoustics at your listening position". Price is yet negotiable +/- 300$, I was told it was 1.200$ when new.

Experience with this unit, anyone?

Thanks

RIP 2009
    I'd think you could do better. That unit is only 10 bands, and older technology...

John

...might be interesting as learning tool, or a tone control for old or poor recordings.

especially with multiple saved settings. I don't know if this is a reasonable price for
    the unit (or for what your interest is). -grumpy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's rather an occasion to save on s/h as I'm going to have other items in transit with this seller (in MD). I think I'll pass on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    I'd think you could do better...
    Ok, in case I'd really need one, which others are top and sought-after for home use?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    Ok, in case I'd really need one, which others are top and sought-after for home use?
    Well, you'll get some differences of opinion here. But look at it this way - DBX was an early digital pioneer, so I think it's safe to assume the current crop of DriveRack units are at least as good as the 10/20, and I really do like my DR260. The DRPA uses much of the same technology and is substantially less expensive.

That said, many decide to hold off on this "entry level" stuff and wait until they can get "high-end" stuff, like BSS units, etc., or even the DEQX. I'd like to, but financial realities dictated the DR260 for me, but I can absolutely guarantee any system I've used it in has sounded better than without.

John

Experience with this unit, anyone?
    Don't know it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ...might be interesting as learning tool, or a tone control for old or poor recordings. especially with multiple saved settings. I don't know if this is a reasonable price for the unit (or for what your interest is).
    I agree. I think it would be damned interesting and great to learn something from. Maybe you won't like it - maybe it will be an improvement.

...in case I'd really need one, which others are top and sought-after for home use?
    Remind us of your system?

EQ's can be a real help, and there are many entrys to consider. What is your budget, and if you promise to not consider Behringer, I'll stay with this thread...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Remind us of your system?

EQ's can be a real help, and there are many entrys to consider. What is your budget, and if you promise to not consider Behringer, I'll stay with this thread...
    Basically current amplification is a tube pre, a solid states 150W/ch amp for the woofers and two EL34 monoblocks for the upper part.
    Speakers, see avatar.

Actually the system is quite pleasing and easy to balance in the interim, mostly due to bi-amping. But more refined options, presets and to get a grip on room correction could be interesting.

No I do not intend to buy a Behringer product. It's more hifi/highend gear or classics in this segment (and others) that I'd prefer. Also I do not want to get that tube melodiousness lost with digital units. And budget, oh well. Certainly not entry level.

Come and listen !

Fangio,

why not come and have a listen to the DEQX ? They have just bought out a new model so there could be some pretty good deals around on the model I have . Remember ,being a crossover too, the signal will run from the tubes direct to the HF.

The step you are contemplating is huge and expensive,but worth every penny! I have heard you kit. To be sure, its sweet as.... ! I don't think you can take it any further without a serious cash injection. Have you got the CC yet ?
    From experience ,I have found that listening to a HI QUALITY digital signal is better than listening to my room !
    This only my opinion mate. Good luck with whatever you choose !

Rich

...the system is quite pleasing and easy to balance in the interim, mostly due to bi-amping. But more refined options, presets and to get a grip on room correction could be interesting. ... I do not want to get that tube melodiousness lost with digital units. And budget, oh well. Certainly not entry level.
    OK, that rules out the dbx 1231. Great starter unit, but it would be below your current system. Basically, it's too inexpensive (= inexpensive filters).

A starter candidate could be the Ashly GQX3102. A great sounding unit, and not too pricy. Just about right. This has constant Q filters, a bit wide for my taste, but it is OK for average use. Ashly sez the innards are identical in their new MQX series, which saves 1RU, is identical to the GQX line, but I have not yet heard them. Would be cool to save 1RU - ALWAYS cool to save 1RU if you can without losing quality.

My favorite, in the Graphic EQ (GEQ) offerings is the Klark Teknik DN 370. Unsurpassed quality. Proportional Q - what could be smarter? Each channel has two really handy notch filters (>-18dB, Q=32), and a sweepable HPF and LPF -12dB per octave). It is fully priced.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    ...The step you are contemplating is huge and expensive, but worth every penny! I have heard you kit. To be sure, its sweet as.... ! I don't think you can take it any further without a serious cash injection.
    Thanks Rich. Yes I've yet to hear a DEQX. And perhaps a Tact..

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    ...a starter candidate could be the Ashly GQX3102. A great sounding unit, and not too pricy. Just about right. This has constant Q filters, a bit wide for my taste, but it is OK for average use. Ashly sez the innards are identical in their new MQX series, which saves 1RU, is identical to the GQX line, but I have not yet heard them. Would be cool to save 1RU - ALWAYS cool to save 1RU if you can without losing quality.

My favorite, in the Graphic EQ (GEQ) offerings is the Klark Teknik DN 370. Unsurpassed quality. Proportional Q - what could be smarter? Each channel has two really handy notch filters (>-18dB, Q=32), and a sweepable HPF and LPF -12dB per octave). It is fully priced.
    Bo, thanks for taking time. Excellent recommendations, I'll study them.

Was wondering if anyone has the dbx 10/20 microphone for sale, i am in need of one any help would be appreciated,Scott

Thread Information