Thread: Mid range driver advice needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mid range driver advice needed

I use a quad amplified 4 way horn system.It utilises a Jbl 2490 to cover 180Hz -900Hz ,Goto SG370 for 900Hz-6kHz and a Goto tweeter.

Problem is that I have become increasingly frustrated with the idiosyncrasies of the Goto mid driver and want to replace it with something less fragile.I have had an Iwata horn with a 1.5 inch throat built for the new driver.Initial plans were for a TAD 4003.However these are virtually unobtainable now and soundwise totally unknown to me . I recently pulled my JBL 2440s from storage and installed them in place of the Goto.I found them somewhat coarse above 3kHz,somewhat smeared and lacking in detail.As an interim measure I replaced the 2440 dias with 2450 SL dias and was totally bowled over by the detail retrieval and smoothness of the sound.

I am now looking for a new driver to use with the 1.5 inch horns.I really wanted to get the JBL 476 Be but all attempts by my local Pro dealer have been unsuccessful.All I could get from the Consumer distributors was a very curt "No".Even showing them Mr Timbers' post on this forum helped nothing.

It seems that my options now would be the TAD 4003,JBL 2452 or 2435. I am very nervous of a too edgy and bright sound.As my Goto drivers are quite a bit more expensive than any of the above,I am not too worried about the cost differential between them.

I have read all the posts about these drivers on this forum,but need advice for this particular situation, i.e. specifically a smooth,but focused and detailed sound delivery from 900Hz-6kHz with no need for equalisation or other electronic smoothing.As I use a tweeter I am not too concerned about HF extension above 10k.Can anyone help?Of course if someone could point me to the elusive 476 Be they will have my eternal gratitude!

Last edited by mafuta; 04-27-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information