Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical Favs ??

Got another PM from K3@~4y ....he said "Freds pick of Chopin is piano elevator music, find some dramatic , dynamic classical to really work out those big JBL's"

(dont blame me, I'm just the conduit)

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Picked up the "Arthur Rubinstein / The Chopin Collection (box set) / BMG Classics The definitive Chopin collection" and have been enjoying it tremendously. In case any one else is considering this, amazon has this 11 disc set for $23. cant beat that!

Thank you!

(disclaimer: number of smileys are not representative of any rating system or doctrine)

Where the wind comes sweeping across the plain
    Good God, guys recommending Edgar Varese to the classical newbie? Bad, bad idea in my book... Even as a musician, the first listening to Mahler 7 pushed the limits of my ears when it came to tonality. Varese will sound like some kind of industrial accident.

Steve0616's list is a good one to start with - stuff that's excellent music and ACCESSIBLE. Minimalism (more or less) can be a good marijuana into the wider world of modern musical intoxicants: Steve Reich, John Adams, Arvo Part, etc.

edit: Dynamic and dramatic, huh? Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, The Planets (Holst), Carmina Burana (Orff), Prokofiev (esp. Scythian Suite & Romeo and Juliet) for orchestral, try Liszt and Beethoven for piano.

Oh yeah, Rachmaninoff, everybody likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Got another PM from K3@~4y ....he said "Freds pick of Chopin is piano elevator music, find some dramatic , dynamic classical to really work out those big JBL's"

(dont blame me, I'm just the conduit)
    Tell K3@~4y that I gotta eeease into things, like an old man getting into the tub, nice and slooow now! I'm testing the waters man! Im testing the waters
    Just Play Music.

Tell K3@~4y that I gotta eeease into things, like an old man getting into the tub, nice and slooow now! I'm testing the waters man! Im testing the waters
    Fred - to avert a flame war between you and K3@~4y , I looked up his profile and just as I had guessed,,,,he's from Yurp. Now those guys know their tunez , so maybe you had better follow his recommendations to the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Fred - to avert a flame war between you and K3@~4y , I looked up his profile and just as I had guessed,,,,he's from Yurp. Now those guys know their tunez , so maybe you had better follow his recommendations to the letter.
    Thanks Seawolf, for being the voice of reason, I'll let it go this time just cant go dissing Chopin like that, it aint cool man!
    Just Play Music.

Thanks Seawolf, for being the voice of reason, I'll let it go this time just cant go dissing Chopin like that, it aint cool man!
    Fred ...bad news.,,, got another PM from K3@~4y and have been debating whether to post it or not as he seems agitated, but in the spirit of "fullpassthroughness" , I'll pass it on.......

"Tell Krunch that over here we spend a lots of Yurpos on musik, and when ve do, it better be strong , dynamics like Richard Wagners Die Walküre , rather than piano recitals"

sorry, man, I tried..

Alright, alright, tell K3@~4y to keep his shirt on, I dont want to get into a "thing" with him, you remember what happened the last time, it wasnt pretty, for all involved. Nice guy but he can fly off the handle at the drop of a dime. Will make my way to Vagner, taking a little detour with a copy Mahler's symphony No. 5 (Bruno Walter) that I found at the local Rappers Delight store here in town, I'll tell you, those rapper dudes are into their classical, I never would have thought it .
    I hope he's alright with Mahler, at least for now.
    Just Play Music.

More "good stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by geaugafletcher View Post
    Good God, guys recommending Edgar Varese to the classical newbie? Bad, bad idea in my book... Even as a musician, the first listening to Mahler 7 pushed the limits of my ears when it came to tonality. Varese will sound like some kind of industrial accident.

Steve0616's list is a good one to start with - stuff that's excellent music and ACCESSIBLE. Minimalism (more or less) can be a good marijuana into the wider world of modern musical intoxicants: Steve Reich, John Adams, Arvo Part, etc.

edit: Dynamic and dramatic, huh? Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, The Planets (Holst), Carmina Burana (Orff), Prokofiev (esp. Scythian Suite & Romeo and Juliet) for orchestral, try Liszt and Beethoven for piano.

Oh yeah, Rachmaninoff, everybody likes him.
    Now we're talking, good show. Excellent! So many get turned off to the good stuff by trying to listen to strange material at the outset, as you say "non accessible." Schoenberg, or, hey, how 'bout a little Charles Ives? Help! Anyway here are a few more specific "Hi Fi spectaculars" JBLers outta love: 1) Stravinsky, Petruska. 2) Moussorgsky, Pictures at an Exibition. 3) Shostakovitch sym #5 (Berstein, NY phil). 4) Arron Copland, Rodeo, Billy the Kid. The Moussorgsky "Pictures" may be my favorite Hi Fi blow-out of all time . . . and georgeous stuff as well - what the symphonic orchestra is all about, instrumental magic, colors, power, the whole nine yards. Mike

I was listening to The Beatles "Help!" soundtrack, not the pop album and it has all the George Martin instrumentals...one of them is particularly attractive.

Its called "Into the Tyrol" ....I believe its an adaptation from Wagners Lohengren ....am I on the right track ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sea Hunt....

Vinyl. In order of preference.
    a.) 1812: New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein conducting. Columbia MS 6827. Stereo.
    b.) Hector Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique. Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. Arvid Jansons, Conductor. ABC Records Westminister Gold WG-8350. Stereo.
    c.) Segovia: Platero And I. Decca Gold Label DL 10093. Hi-Fonic.
    d.) Carlo Montoya: Adventures in Flamenco. ABC-Paramount ABCS-508. Stereo.
    e.) Great Performances: Brahms First Symphony in C Minor, Opus 68. Cleveland Orchestra. George Szeil Conductor. CBS Great Performances Series MY 37775. Stereo.
    f.) Polish Christmas Carols: St. Casmir's Choir of Shenandoah, Pennsylvania. St. Cecilia's Choir. Teofil Galezniak Organist. Rave Record Co. RLP-233. Stereo.
    g.) Victory At Sea: Orchestral Suit from the Music of Richard Rodgers. NBC Symphony Orchestra. Conducted by Robert Russell Bennett. RCA Victor Red Seal Records LM 1779. New Orthophonic.
    SACD:
    a.) Tchaikovsky 1812. Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Erich Kunzel Conductor. Telarc DVDA-70541. Surround.

Glasshouse27
    Rick Wakeman of YES fame!

1) Six Wives of Henry the Eighth is a MUST!!
    2) Journey to the Center of the Earth is good too but not for the fainted heart. It's not exactly an easy listen...

I've been revisiting LVB's 9 symphonies, somehow I really connect with many of them....Think that guy has a good chance to make it in the musik world...
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

The 9th Imprinted

It will always be associated with Clockwork Orange for me, cant listen to it without thinking of specific parts of the movie, imprinting is irreversible at this point!
    Which is fine with me as I am pretty fond of the film.
    Just Play Music.

It will always be associated with Clockwork Orange for me, cant listen to it without thinking of specific parts of the movie, imprinting is irreversible at this point!
    Which is fine with me as I am pretty fond of the film.
    Lovely lovely ludwig van ...
    "Using Ludwig van like that. He did no harm to anyone. Beethoven just wrote music... It's not fair ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

There are so many "classic" moments in that movie.
    Might have to watch that again again soon, have not seen it in a while
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information