Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4way, 3way, 2way or co-axial?

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    I know this is but, I think the Forum is getting fun again! We were in a slump but things are starting to pick up!
    About bloody time too!
    and no Oz, it wasnt just you, it was in a bit of a dulldrum there.
    (what were we talking about? oh yeah....Action!)
    Just Play Music.

In terms of imaging I'd agree that time aligned coax nails it.
    As far as I'm aware most of the dual bass coax monitors can be configured for 3 way operation with the coax rolled in at 250hz or so.
    This significantly cleans up the mids too in the larger (15inch )models.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    About bloody time too!
    and no Oz, it wasnt just you, it was in a bit of a dulldrum there.
    (what were we talking about? oh yeah....Action!)
    Hmm, I have a confession to make.

I was thinking of lovely Debbie (magnet3) when I wrote that.

When ever I read Edgewound's posts I have visions of The Great Gastsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald's famous novel).

Meeting Edge bought greater meaning to that vision. It must feel kind of strange living on the West coast hey Edge.

I agree this place have become somewhat boring.

iMac.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Oh, Ian, my love...

You talk funny...we don't understand each other...and that's fine.
    Shucks Edge,

I guess it depends on your concentration span but don't let it bother you.

We miss Debbie by the way!

iMac

...you should really read over what you're going to post...
    Good general rule, that one is...

...you're dipping into different kettles, that at this point I don't believe have fish in them.
    Dammit, edge!!! I wish I had posted that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    You can argue and talk a war of words about any of this if you think it (and your opinions) matters. The majority don't.
    Sorry - I'm lost - who are you representing here? I'm pretty respectful of edge's opinion, but I'm admittedly a layperson in all this...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hmm, I have a confession to make.

I was thinking of lovely Debbie (magnet3) when I wrote that.
    Thank you for clarifying that Ian & will bear it in mind when I read yours & edge's posts.
    Just Play Music.

Wow, thanks for the mention Ian, you make it sound as though I had said something significant! It was fun having all of you guys over that time. Anyway, the rest of my take on coaxials is that due to the necessity for a small h.f. horn that doesn't block the entire woofer cone, the crossover point must be pushed up to around 1.5kHz. A floppy woofer cone just doesn't sound as clear and dynamic in this range as a good compression driver and horn, so we make a terrible compromise smack in the middle of the critical midrange.

Jim Lansing once wrote of the progressive downsizing of his systems to meet requests for package size, from huge Shearer to Lansing Monitor to Iconic to Duplex. I think the Duplex went one step too far, as the Iconic lays waste to the Duplex with its decent size midrange horn and 800Hz. crossover point. The point source geometry of the Duplex is nice, but comes at too great a cost IMO.

Paul Klipsch used to say "The midrange is where we live." I built my first midrange horns back in 1992, 150Hz. square exponentials. They were about three feet long with mouths 28" square. They beamed highs like crazy which required one's head to be locked in a vise for listening, but they also offered my first taste of what I like to call "big goose bumps" midrange reproduction. Vocals can sound scarily real when the midrange driver and horn are up to the task. So many systems past and present use midrange horns that look more like throat adapters to me, and the pinched sound drives most folks away.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Paul Klipsch used to say "The midrange is where we live." I built my first midrange horns back in 1992, 150Hz. square exponentials. They were about three feet long with mouths 28" square. They beamed highs like crazy which required one's head to be locked in a vise for listening, but they also offered my first taste of what I like to call "big goose bumps" midrange reproduction. Vocals can sound scarily real when the midrange driver and horn are up to the task.
    Hello Steve,

very interesting information. Is there more information, pictures of this Horn?

regards

juergen

snip
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 05-04-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Don't really have the time for this.
    Out.

Thread Information