Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4way, 3way, 2way or co-axial?

Could I just put a brief word in for the "augmented two way" approach. Keeping crossovers to a minimum or as far from the presence region as possible.

Way to Go! (as you Yanks are fond of saying

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I guess you can alway pick on home listening room where they will work but we have seen a number of posts here where they don't.

If you guys go into the Library JBL talk about contolled coverage in their consumer series......yawn. I dont see 100 x 100 degree bi radial horns in any of the consumer series. I guess they didn't think it was a good idea. Nor do I. Inevitably, low ceilings and large flat surfaces like glass side walls in domestic environments are an issue. Either way the 44XX series was deliberately designed for a flat power response on recording control room.
    Ian, plenty of people have also whined about how terrible the 43xx series sounded in the home. In most circles pretty much "anything JBL" isn't even considered worth talking about for home use much less 43xx Studio Monitors.

Here's a system that suffers from a ton of floor and ceiling bounce...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Could I just put a brief word in for the "augmented two way" approach. Keeping crossovers to a minimum or as far from the presence region as possible.
    Yes, these latest 12-inch, 14-inch, and 15-inch 2-way and 3-way systems are quite impressive. Sitting them next to the 4345's and 4355's pretty much puts the whole debate of where to spend one's money to rest. Sure, there will always be those who like BIG for the sake of BIG; The fact remains that a 4355 has a visual impact that the new 12-inch 2-way lacks. The 4355 is also really loud which some people adore.

Honestly though, if the latest stuff didn't exist I would be back with my 43xx and 44xx stuff. No doubt about it.

[quote=4313B;208462]Ian, plenty of people have also whined about how terrible the 43xx series sounded in the home. In most circles pretty much "anything JBL" isn't even considered worth talking about for home use much less 43xx Studio Monitors.

quote]

I sure wouldn't want to spend much time listening to my 4345's in a typical domestic, untreated room. Mind you, my 4430's do just fine in this sort of environment.

Perhaps Tad have the ultimate soa solution.

http://www.tadhomeaudio.com/reference-one.html

.............TAD’s Coherent Sound Transducer (CST), key to the sonic success of every TAD loudspeaker. This unique driver, which covers the frequency range from 250 Hz to a staggering 100 kHz, employs a midrange cone and tweeter dome configured concentrically. A concentric solution radiates both upper and critical mid-frequencies from a single point source, and results in rock-solid imaging and a seamless soundstage, essential to accurate sound reproduction. But more than concentricity sets the CST apart from other speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the smile says it all

Rich

Rich,

Well said.

For those with a broader mentality than of a reconer home theatre acoustics are a completely different kettle of fish to 2 channel stereo hi fidelity. At least according to industry experts RPG.

Of course with Diy you don't have to conform to any particular way of doing things. Just trust your ears.

Specifying a system to a particular engineering outcome in one of the pro industry segments is a bit more cut and dried.

Rich,

Well said.

For those with a broader mentality than of a reconer home theatre acoustics are a completely different kettle of fish to 2 channel stereo hi fidelity. At least according to industry experts RPG.
    Sometimes, Ian...no wait....many times, Ian...you should really read over what you're going to post before you broadbrush reconers as...let's just say..."narrow minded".

The TAD Be coax is a brilliant execution of a fine transducer. Even I...a simple minded reconer...could appreciate the reproduction from the Model One and Reference One.

Since we're talking "kettles of fish"...you're dipping into different kettles, that at this point I don't believe have fish in them.

Discussions about loudspeaker systems and room acoustics should be treated as two separate issues that become integrated when it's time to choose what performance one wants. If it wasn't...then both TAD and JBL wouldn't even consider offering the Reference One and Everest II, respectively, as home theater system set-ups....which they both do.

OK then....since I've been thinking out loud now...and TAD and JBL offer recone kits...and I do both...I now take your previous "reconer" comment as a compliment to my higher level of intellect.

Thanks, bud.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Sometimes, Ian...no wait....many times, Ian...you should really read over what you're going to post before you broadbrush reconers as...let's just say..."narrow minded".

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    OK then....since I've been thinking out loud now...and TAD and JBL offer recone kits...and I do both...I now take your previous "reconer" comment as a compliment to my higher level of intellect.

Thanks, bud.

Ah Kenneth darling,

You take everything too literally boy.

I guess I won't ask you to recone some Volt radial drivers.

The expression has been around since before American independance...you's just ain't borrower that one yet...LOL.

You can argue and talk a war of words about any of this if you think it (and your opinions) matters. The majority don't.

I am sure you are more valuable replying to this thread than blowing smoke here:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ad.php?t=19949

Ah Kenneth darling,

The expression has been around since before American independance...you's just ain't borrower that one yet...LOL.

You can argue and talk a war of words about any of this if you think it (and your opinions) matters. The majority don't.

I am sure you are more valuable replying to this thread than blowing smoke here:
    Oh, Ian, my love...

You talk funny...we don't understand each other...and that's fine.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Ah Kenneth darling,

I guess you weren't speaking your mind in response to this post on what loudspeaker in what room:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...57&postcount=1

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...74&postcount=5

And this proclamation here;
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...16&postcount=8

You just felt like making your point again.

Here is some really great stuff on coaxials and horns and pretty much nails the real issues as to what this thread was about;

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6021#post76021

Hey Giskard,

That big screen has a great reflection.

I wonder how it will go with some digital enhancement!

Is it me or has the Forums been dull lately?

I know this is but, I think the Forum is getting fun again! We were in a slump but things are starting to pick up! When solid senior mebers are calling each other "love" and "darling", that's good stuff! What a great disfunctional family we make!
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

i listended once to a linkwitz orion and some smaller tannoy, i can clearly say that a coaxial driver is THE way to go.
    imaging is primary for me.
    but loud volumes and subbass...no chance, need the coaxes need help!
    -so, its an augmented coaxial for me please.
    thinking about it, if one is a very computer-and-crossover-understanding person, could there be a way of changing the crossoverfrequencies according to the volume?
    i mean:
    very silent: totally coax
    and getting louder, the coax freq.band gets more narrow and the others wider, to offer stability.

--a morphing crossover!

cheers,
    mikey

Thread Information