Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 808-8b

Hey Skywave, I do have some limitations, it is my basement and I still need it for basement things unfortunately. I'm going to isolate it as much as possible without major structural changes. I'm doing a pretty involved HVAC system to isolate the rooms. It isn't going to be perfect, but it should be pretty good.

BMS 4550

I've been reading about this driver, would I be as well off buying a pair of these and leaving the 808-8b as a PA horn. It would be cheaper to buy a pair of these then rediaphragm the Altecs.

Your studio design looks great to me. I bet you could do serious stuff in there. Give me a discount on time if my band comes to your area.

I have 4550s on my home workstation. If you want to read my comparo between the 4552NDs (should be similar to 4550s) and 902s on my 9844s which have the 811B horn read this:
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...&postcount=189

The "Zilch approved" BMS will give you flat response up to 20k, on those horns. I forgot what your crossover will be. With the stock crossover I get flat -- no additional compensation.

BMS will better for working if you use the mains for EQ settings and balancing, as opposed to just "checking" while on the couch. Or giving your client the vintage vibe -- I like that idea, too. My opinion, of course.

For my apt. workstation, I have the BMS 4550s biamped on top of the old Sentry 100As. They are better than my Genelec 1030s. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Best View Post
    I've been reading about this driver, would I be as well off buying a pair of these and leaving the 808-8b as a PA horn. It would be cheaper to buy a pair of these then rediaphragm the Altecs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information