Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Dolby Lake Processor

  1. #1
    JBL 4645
    Guest

    Smile Dolby Lake Processor



    This is product that came out a short while ago and it’s being pushed on the AVForums UK as high end add on to any home cinema but the cost whew!


    http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf/spec..._0601_Lake.pdf

    Control
    http://www.dolby.com/professional/live_sound/Products/lake_processor_control.html

    Flexibility
    http://www.dolby.com/professional/live_sound/Products/lake_processor_flexibility.html

    Benefits of the Dolby Lake
    http://www.dolby.com/professional/live_sound/Products/lake_processor_benefits.html

    noisy TV AES 121th Vol.3(w/BGM)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7JrKzlKxGE

  2. #2
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,341
    If you are gonna play reporter, give ALL the info - what IS the cost??



    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    2ch: Oppo, JoLida 502CRC, JBL L212, 18ti,240ti; Heath AS101, Von Schweikert VR4
    7.1: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    2,701
    A review I read said MSRP 7k USD.

  4. #4
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    A review I read said MSRP 7k USD.
    Well I did stick under Google Product UK and nothing, came up, not even picture. I read somewhere a last year and I knew it was in the several grand price mark, 7K that’s an awful lot!

    Well I did stick under Google Product UK and nothing, came up, not even picture. I read somewhere a last year and I knew it was in the several grand price mark, 7K that’s an awful lot!

    Someone on the AVforum questioned why the Empire Leicester Square screen 1, doesn’t have them installed, and yet they are trying to flog these off into the home cinema market place some UK home cinema installer, LOL yeah right like that is going to sale like hotcakes!

    I said the dbx4800 are the only ones installed not sure if I mentioned the price and how brilliant the dbx4800 are doing in the real world, performance wise!

    I’d sooner if I had the money go with dbx4800, Dolby Lake is dreaming in Cuckoo-land if they think, they can flog these of home cinema in the UK.

    Go to the AVForums main page on the site where they mention the Dolby Lake, among other items as well in the short video that will have the Dolby Lake product, its right in front of you on the main page!
    http://www.avforums.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Covington, Ohio
    Posts
    688
    LAKE is one of the top end pro DSP units. You should see them in operation, the light show on the front panel alone is worth the price!!!!!

    Mike Caldwell

  6. #6
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    LAKE is one of the top end pro DSP units. You should see them in operation, the light show on the front panel alone is worth the price!!!!!

    Mike Caldwell
    Mike

    Hello

    That’s one part I’m not too sure about it’s what’s inside it that counts. So is there anyone on this site that has his raked up on they’re home?

    It’s like the ole saying goes you get what you pay for? I wonder how much does the light display cost.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Covington, Ohio
    Posts
    688
    They really are one of the best digital processing units available. They came be configured with various inputs and outputs by the cards that plug into the main frame. There is an earlier version, single rack space, not as fancy front panel, you can find them used for around a couple of thousand dollars.

    Mike Caldwell

  8. #8
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,341
    Absurdo - I believe Bo and some other folks here have talked about working with these units in Pro audio locations - but - this is not home gear.

    For home use, the simpler signal path is generally better.

    (That means if you have a half-dozen Behringer pieces in your path the sound has been changed an awful lot!)
    2ch: Oppo, JoLida 502CRC, JBL L212, 18ti,240ti; Heath AS101, Von Schweikert VR4
    7.1: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Covington, Ohio
    Posts
    688
    Heather's right, they are way overkill for home use I guess unless you have the worlds most elaborate home theater system. For home and in pro the simplest/cleanest signal path to get the job done is always the best.


    Mike Caldwell

  10. #10
    Senior SeŮor boputnam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    northern california
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    (... if you have a ... Behringer piece. in your path the sound has been changed .. awful ...!)
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    bo

    "Indeed, not!!"

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Covington, Ohio
    Posts
    688
    YES YES YES YES

    Not only do they degrade the signal eventually they will break down and leave you with no signal....maybe actually be an improvement. A friend of mine who play bass put a Behringer comp is his rig thinking "how bad could it be for just bass guitar" after a short time he realized how bad it was!

    Not only do I dislike Behringer for there quality or lack of but also for there business practices of outright coping anything product that is half way decent internally and externally. With a little searching you'll find various lawsuits against them for just that.

    Mike Caldwell

  12. #12
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    They really are one of the best digital processing units available. They came be configured with various inputs and outputs by the cards that plug into the main frame. There is an earlier version, single rack space, not as fancy front panel, you can find them used for around a couple of thousand dollars.

    Mike Caldwell
    Mate, do you see money tree in back garden!? Well just pm me, if a few of them fall off the back end of lorry will you, cheers.

  13. #13
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Absurdo - I believe Bo and some other folks here have talked about working with these units in Pro audio locations - but - this is not home gear.

    For home use, the simpler signal path is generally better.

    (That means if you have a half-dozen Behringer pieces in your path the sound has been changed an awful lot!)
    LOL

    Thatís funny you should say that Heather, check out this thread over on the UK forums, I think there on different page? LOL why on earth there implementing this into the home cinema community is beyond me at that price!

    Yeah I bump into UK memberís everyday that have Dolby Lake in there living rooms.

    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743994

    Most of us in the community use a combination of professional and a few DCX2496, why there must be at least 6 or 8 members that use it. Yourself for example use JBL active crossover and so on, Iím not going to dispute that.

  14. #14
    Heather [Senorita member] hjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NoVA - DC 'burbs
    Posts
    8,341
    Why would it be funny that I say that - all I have done is to biAmp, which basically frees up the woofer from being held back by the passive network.
    To split my signal into hipass and low pass, I use an active crossover - Ashly brand, actually. Its an improvement over the older JBL/UREI crossover I used before. Is that digital gear? I think not.
    No processors, no expanders, no compressors, nothing like that.

    As my budget grows, I'll upgrade the existing gear with better pieces, but I don't plan to add more.

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    LOL

    Thatís funny you should say that Heather, check out this thread over on the UK forums, I think there on different page? LOL why on earth there implementing this into the home cinema community is beyond me at that price!

    Yeah I bump into UK memberís everyday that have Dolby Lake in there living rooms.

    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743994

    Most of us in the community use a combination of professional and a few DCX2496, why there must be at least 6 or 8 members that use it. Yourself for example use JBL active crossover and so on, Iím not going to dispute that.
    2ch: Oppo, JoLida 502CRC, JBL L212, 18ti,240ti; Heath AS101, Von Schweikert VR4
    7.1: Oppo BDP103D, B&K, UREI 809A, JBL B460

  15. #15
    JBL 4645
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Why would it be funny that I say that - all I have done is to biAmp, which basically frees up the woofer from being held back by the passive network.
    To split my signal into hipass and low pass, I use an active crossover - Ashly brand, actually. Its an improvement over the older JBL/UREI crossover I used before. Is that digital gear? I think not.
    No processors, no expanders, no compressors, nothing like that.

    As my budget grows, I'll upgrade the existing gear with better pieces, but I don't plan to add more.
    So you’ve being slyly switching it all around this time. LOL you feisty you little kitten. I personally think yesterday’s technology is a good thing otherwise it wouldn’t have been invented in the first place.

    I would have liked to have the dosh to get that THX 3417 crossover/monitor last year, just plain broke at the time.

    I guess ten years from now when the prices have lowered well be adding dbx4800 in the room in huge stacks!

    And 20 to 30 years before we can add Dolby Lake, I mean at the price it sales for, astronomical!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 4 speaker Dolby 5.1
    By Hoerninger in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 09:28 AM
  2. Complex Six-Track Dolby Stereo mixes!
    By JBL 4645 in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •