Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Blues

Well, this really made my day...finding some 1960s clips of Big Joe Williams (the subject of Mike Bloomfield’s book in the previous post) playing his mid 1930s song “Baby Please Don’t Go”, and “Arkansas Woman” (with Willie Dixon on bass).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikxLNaAYu5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Ql1IDeTbU

Sba2, thanks much for the book scans and YouTube links. Big Joe Williams and Willie Dixon were just so great. I got to hear Willie Dixon live one time. I was wanting to strangle that announcer on Arkansas Woman, seemed to me he was patronizing and disrespectful. Just a taste of what those magnificent gentlemen had to put up with their entire careers, I fear.

I just watched a movie, Cadillac Records

It was about the early days of Chess records and Muddy Waters and others.
    I know that movies of this type tend to be a mixture of fact and fiction, but it was still very interesting. A high school friend of mine Dave Purple worked at Chess for a few years as an engineer, and for a few years worked with Isac Hays. Dave was the original bass player for the Cryn Shames. Sadly Dave died about 8 years ago.

Steve, I agree with you...but I was so enraptured by seeing footage of Big Joe that I really didn't pay that announcer no 'tention.

jcrobso, I just read that, after working at Chess, Dave was the head engineer at Stax...sounds like he had a good life.

Here's Big Willie, Big Joe, and Memphis Slim sharing a happy moment--

Name:  dixon, slim, williams.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  76.4 KB

I lost touch with Dave over the years.

I heard things via the grape vine, it wasn't until our High School 25th that we got to talk. He was living in Nashville and selling Harrison consoles at the time.

http://www.cryanshames.com/davep.html

I met Dave near the end of Sophomore year. I had just joined a band called "The Invictas" as the bass player, in Junior and Senior years we played at a lot of school functions. Dave was just learning how to play bass at the time and he would come over to my house and I would show him bass lines. The same ones I had learned from a fellow class mate Jim Holvay*. That was how we learned, no DVDs or bass lessons on You Tube.
    After high school I joined a different band and Dave joined the Travelers, both of our bands were playing at all sort of events, sometimes worked with radio jocks.
    Short version: A promoter heard the Travelers and took them into the studio recorded a record, the changed the name to the Cryan Shames and the rest is history.
    *Taken from a Buckinghams info site.
    While these songs did well in the Chicago area, it took the wistful, Jim Holvay written, "Kind of a Drag"
    http://www.classicbands.com/buckinghams.html

Indian Rezervation Blues And More

Not all blues per say, but all blues at heart. An anthology collection.

The sound is pretty good. My Stax Omega II headphones found no fault. This is now a favorite of mine. I find the combination of Blues and Native American music to be completely intoxicating.

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Not all blues per say, but all blues at heart. An anthology collection.

The sound is pretty good. My Stax Omega II headphones found no fault. This is now a favorite of mine.
    I've learned to trust your taste and opinion but you must have a great record store; I can't find any place that lists this.

Ahh, found some sample tracks here: http://www.bluesweb.com/p_disque.php3?id_article=1509
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

http://www.tower.com/indian-reservat...wapi/113296846

http://www.bluesweb.com/p_disque.php...&id_rubrique=2

I notice that the band Indigenous sounds like Arc Angels, especially Doyle Bramall II.

I notice that the band Indigenous sounds like Arc Angels, especially Doyle Bramall II.
    I've been an Indigenous fan for years. I still remember Mato Nanji as one of the most exciting guitarist I've ever seen perform live. That man travels with a rack of twenty guitars and plays them so hard he swaps them every song. The Indian Hendrix, for sure. I used to keep hitting "back" over and over on the car CD player to replay "Rest of My Days" for his beautiful lead.

Do the best players just know how to tempt us? I always want the great guitar parts to go on twice as long, but are they better because they make you want more?

For anyone interested, the entire cut from Indigenous off that Rezervation Blues compilation is available to stream from their My Space site here: http://www.myspace.com/indigenousrocks

I was also impressed enough by the Wayne Lavallee sample track to check out more of his work.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Man some times ya just get lucky!Got to see Mato in small seat theatre,right here in Rapid City s.d..Wow,played a acoustic set,then with the band.Third row,little to the rightAWESOME!

http://www.tower.com/indian-reservat...wapi/113296846

http://www.bluesweb.com/p_disque.php...&id_rubrique=2

Wow, thanks for the heads up - the Tower link shows this as 3 CDs for about $25 shipped - what a deal on a sampler of great sounding tracks!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Wow, thanks for the heads up - the Tower link shows this as 3 CDs for about $25 shipped - what a deal on a sampler of great sounding tracks!!
    I hope you and BMW enjoy it as much as I do. I have been very taken with Native American culture since I was a child, so it is a special treat for me. Perhaps some will not find this collection's sense of historic injustice as welcome as I find it. One hip hop song details some of the most horrendous practices visited upon these peoples who's main "crime" was being here first. It is not easy listening. I find myself walking around singing "General Sullivan," and I usually never pay any attention to lyrics!

I am also a sucker for traditional Native American singing and find myself buoyed by each cry, chant and whoop. We have a Pow Wow annually here. I especially like the singers/drummers from the Wisconsin Dells. I don't know how much longer this will survive. The older speakers state that only "the Grandmothers" are wishing to hear the native languages spoken.

My predilections aside, there is a lot of great music here, and in a variety of styles.

Clark

Muddy Waters

Here’s some video of Muddy Waters & his band prepping for a show at the Ash Grove in 1971. The interview (video 2) is pretty good, especially at the end.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/concer...ash-grove.html

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Pretty sure I ordered it at the time, but it slipped my mind and
    apparently my VISA was never charged. Now their page says

Availability: This item is not currently available on Tower.com.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yep, I noticed that too Heather, it is ironic that only the Bluesweb link that Clark posted has it, but they are in France! of all places. This is the kind of stuff that boggles my mind....its Blues, its Native American but no one in the USA is carrying it, why would that be???
    In any case, I am definitely intrigued, especially coming from Clark, thank you Sir
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information