Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Blues

There's an older DAD (24/96) of John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom". Was produced by Roy Rogers. It's pretty much a must-have for hearing all the depth and sensuality of Hooker's voice. I love the Wolf and Muddy, but for sheer balls and blues, there's nothing compares with the combination of JLH's guitar and vocals.

Walter Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Just saw/heard the first time Walter Trout on TV channel HH1 interviewed by Kuno Dreysse former leader of the Hamburger Star Club.

As far as I have understood Walter Trout, obvious living in Huntington Beach (CA), likes very much the musical scene of LA with its clubs and lots of musicians.

He playes an outstanding Blues. I will switch to Youtube with him now and buy some of his music later I presume.

Walter Trout
    will play in Hamburg
    29. & 30. November 2008
    in Landhaus Walter in Stadtpark
    (Downtown Bluesclub)

Peter

Hi Peter,

as I sad.......an outstanding Blues guitarist....

take a look at this:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...82&postcount=1

I can absolutely recommend the live CD " live at Tampa Bay 2000"
    There are not only one or two titles which are great....the complete double album is fantastic stuff and this in a very good "live" quality.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

HP,

thank you for reminding!
    I read your post a while back, but I only realized HP on the foto, is it a shame?

A Chess Records Blues Artist, Holding Forth

We will get to a real exposition of the Chicago Blues, the greatest eruption of Blues music in history, but for now here is a taste. Howlin' Wolf, on tour in England, 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LNt5J0Cesc

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Great music!
    Howlin' Wolf I did not know, but he reminds me of the early Rolling Stones.
    I remember an interview with Mick Jagger where he told that at the time he met Keith Richards they listened to music which they had bought from overseas in Chicago. At that time this sort of music was not available in GB (and the rest of Europe neither of course). He mentioned Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley.
    (Compare Little Red Rooster. )

PS: I just read the start of the thread. "Mick, Keith, Chicago, Chuck, Bo, Rooster" - all mentioned before - sorry.

I recall that the records that thrilled Mick & Keith were all Chess label releases. There is a very good book about the Chess brothers and the musicians they worked with called Spinning Blues Into Gold. The full roster of the label (which included Checker and Argo) will astound anyone. Blues, Jazz, R&B, early Rock, and the best of everything. Go Chicago! (The new Western White House!) Look at the roster of artists here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Records The authors do not seem to know about the Jazz releases. Ahmad Jamal and Ramsey Lewis come to mind immediately.

I post this unrelated link without comment, except to advise to all - enjoy, listen and learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmuIk...eature=related

And here is a freebie from me. There are people who, in their own heads, can separate Jazz from The Blues. They are called fools and morons. Peter, I need your help here. Please add a choice German word to describe such people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    enjoy, listen and learn.
    With the music it is fine , the spoken word will take some more time.
    fools and morons ... a choice German word
    Here are some choices for fools /morons:
    A bit more friendly which could be said to a person - Depp /Trottel
    More ugly when talking about somone else - Dummkopf /Idiot.
    (complete moron - Vollidiot, very ugly in German).
    I do not know what you have in mind (freebie?), I hope it helped.

Thank you! I like Trottel. Dummkopf I should have known, we say it all the time in places like Chicago and Milwaukee with big German and German-American populations.

I like what the British youth call someone who is really messing up. "You compleat f**kwit!" Kind of like Dummkopf on steroids. If a f**kwit became a git, that would be an improvement.

Freebie is slang - informal language - for something given or received at no charge - for free, as we say.

Clark

.....HHmmm....

....Texas Blues.....Johny Winter. Muddy Waters...and the two of em' together. Bought some today at the Salvation Army...hell holding on to em' on my bike...in 30 degree weather....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Little Walter

Hip-O Records just released a 5 disc set "Little Walter: the Complete Chess Masters. Anybody get this yet?
    Released in March I just heard about it (always late to the party), not cheap at $71 for 5 discs, getting good reviews though.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=106643020
    Just Play Music.

Some reading....

Here is a well written article (actually a fragment of an autobiographical book, which has never been published) by a Chicago blues musician named Nick Gravenites. He touches on the 50's, 60's and 70's music scene in general, and on Chicago blues in particular.

http://www.bluespower.com/a-ngbtb.htm

Bob Margolin was a guitarist in one of Muddy Waters' later bands. In this article he talks about his time with Muddy and provides fascinating insights on the man. Not sure where I got this link; if it was from this thread, my apologies...

http://www.bobmargolin.com/muddylike.html

Clark, you indicated your affection for resonator instruments earlier. I'll just mention that I recently purchased a National tricone, the 70th one built if our understanding of the serial number sequence is correct. It has the "Style II" pattern of engraving, and would have been built within two or three months of their introduction in April 1927.

Scott, that is one great link, thank you. I remember hearing/seeing Nick back in the Hippie days in Chicago, where I was from. I would hear Nick playing at public festivals and such. Steve, I had never seen the Margolin piece. A treat.

My favorite memory of the time was during one of the nights I was let in underage to a Blues club, Mother Blues, because my sister and her musician boyfriend knew Mother (the owner and door "man"). This was in the mid 1960s and Muddy was playing, and between songs he spotted me, in shock I am sure, at a nearby table. He proceeded to stare at me for a few moments and smiled warmly. I will never forget it. I was too shy to introduce myself. His bass player at the time was eager to make my or anyone Else's acquaintance. "Got any gin? Have any money for some gin?" The only drinker I ever met who only wanted one kind of hooch, no matter what. I'm thinking, "Dude, I can't let on I am underage, I'll get Mother in trouble! What the hell can I say?" It was a small club, only a few people were in attendance, and Muddy played and sang like a god.

A friend, a musician, would go to his house. A woman in a nurse's uniform would answer the door and say, "I will see if Mr. Morganfield is in." It was his wife, according to my friend. I can't verify that!

Steve, what a wonderful find. The only thing to compare in my entire family's history was my late Grandfather's going to Milwaukee to get his first (of several) Harley Davidson in 1906. I showed him a photograph of the original four, three Davidsons and William Harley. He pointed to one man and said, "That is the man I would see. He sold me all my bikes." He was pointing at Walter Davidson, the first President. A 1906 would have been one of the first sixty bikes they made.

My grandfather was quite a guy. He taught the Lincoln Park police to ride, and raced on board tracks.

I can only tell lame non musical stories like these because there were no musicians in my family history. Wouldn't you know it, musical talent runs in families. At least I was born to be a listener.

Clark

Clark, It's nice to hear that you had an early exposure to Chicago blues clubs. As a high school student in the mid 70s I had a fake ID and hung out with an older crowd that went often to Kingston Mines and Wise Fool's Pub (both on Lincoln ave), as well as Biddy Mulligan's (on north Sheridan rd). The usual protocol was for us to grab a table and let the legals go up to the bar and order pitchers of beer. We occasionally bought drinks for the musicians, too. And if we had reefer, we shared it with the bluesmen out on the sidewalk during breaks. The reefer and the pitchers of beer are long gone from my diet, but the music goes on.

more good blues reading...

A year before he died, the guitarist Michael Bloomfield wrote a short little book about his early days in Chicago, and his friendship with the bluesman Big Joe Williams.

The book, "Me and Big Joe," is out-of-print and rare ... so I've attached a pdf of my copy. It's a quick 15 minute read! ... sorry for the poor copy.

me and big joe 1.pdf

me and big joe 2.pdf

me and big joe 3.pdf

me and big joe 4.pdf

Thread Information