Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A very good reason not to buy LSR32 or LSR6332 speakers

A very good reason not to buy LSR32 or LSR6332 speakers

JBL doesn't offer diaphragms for their tweeters!!! (053TI or 053TIS).... they cost around $125 for a replacement, and sometimes there is no stock...

count on them blowing AT LEAST twice per year. That adds $250 a year to the cost to maintain these speakers. I blow them about 3 times a year over the past 4 years. That means I spent over $1500 just to keep them working.
    Over an 8 year period, i would've paid triple the purchase price.

Just not worth it... To many other box makers that offer replacement parts for a reasonable cost. Diaphragms cost under $10 to make for JBL. There's a difference between making money, and being pigs about it.

A real shame, JBL used to be such a good company...

Garbage in/ Garbage out

Maybe you should try to limit the input level to prevent amp clipping that fries the tweeters.

I'm not trying to be a smartass....just giving advice for prevention.

That will save you the $250/year maintenance cost.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Maybe you should try to limit the input level to prevent amp clipping that fries the tweeters.
    Yea, I'm with edge.

Have not before heard of this problem. What are you driving them with, and how loud?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by yovoy View Post
    JBL doesn't offer diaphragms for their tweeters!!! (053TI or 053TIS).... they cost around $125 for a replacement, and sometimes there is no stock...

count on them blowing AT LEAST twice per year. That adds $250 a year to the cost to maintain these speakers. I blow them about 3 times a year over the past 4 years. That means I spent over $1500 just to keep them working.
    Over an 8 year period, i would've paid triple the purchase price.

Just not worth it... To many other box makers that offer replacement parts for a reasonable cost. Diaphragms cost under $10 to make for JBL. There's a difference between making money, and being pigs about it.

A real shame, JBL used to be such a good company...
    Your problem, not JBL's.

If you are blowing tweeters at that rate blame yourself. You have a lot of gall to complain about what it's costing you when you obviously don't learn from your mistakes.

Rob

One of my favorite reference papers pointed to from this site long ago:
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/lowpower.pdf

I fried a JBL tweeter (075) maybe thirty-five years ago. Sent it back and JBL repaired it for free but warned me they suspected a high-frequency oscillation from my underpowered receiver may have caused the problem. I sold the receiver and bought my first power amp, (Fisher SA1000). Over the next thirty-five years I've used Crown amps exclusively, even powering lowly L20Ts with a PS-400——and playing them loud. Never damaged a tweeter since, and that includes 075, 044, 035ti, 052ti, and 035tiA. Clean power is usually the answer. Not enough power is often the problem.

I'm still waiting for the answer to the "what amp?" question.

studios blow tweeters, it's just the way it is. A professional studio blowing a pair of tweeters a year is nothing. My speakers in my home setup, of course never get blown.

Point is, JBL could of course resell the diaphragms. They would probably make more money on the mark up. Do you know the industrial waste involved building a whole new driver, when a small replacement part would suffice? Environmental waste anyone?

Imagine if every company took that approach? The U.S, would be one big landfill. No wonder gas is at $4.00 a gallon.

For you people that are running a real studio, for which these speakers are designed for, think twice before buying them. You will blow the highs, and the speaker (bc of JBL's greed) will cost you about double the purchase price. Meaning a pair of LSR6332's will cost you around 4K over 5 years.

Lot's of other good studio speakers with reasonable rates for parts. Even high end speakers, like my 25K pair of Quested 412s have diaphragm replacements for the tweeters-- i paid about $7.00 for one last year.

I use Bryston 14Bsst's and Krell 250a. I'm simply warning fellow studio owners, who are thinking of buying JBL LSR6332's that if they do happen to blow the highs, that it will cost them around $150 w/ shipping and taxes for replacement. I have 8 pairs of these, and they do blow once in a while (not frequently, once or twice a year), and it's costly to replace. I wish someone warned me, i may have considered purchasing different speakers for the rooms that i run.

Perhaps as well, if enough people complain (rant), perhaps JBL will change the policy, and allow their customers to purchase repl diaphragms for these tweeters. Everyone wins in that situation. Starting to get it yet? More blown tweeters = money out of your pocket. Nothing cool about that... never cared for your audience or asked for it, so move on pls.

Please stop feeding the trolls.

Perhaps as well, if enough people complain (rant), perhaps JBL will change the policy, and allow their customers to purchase repl diaphragms for these tweeters.
    I think you make a valid point, but I think this is a conversation to be taken up with JBL's Customer Service dept.

That said, I suspect that the reason that JBL doesn't offer replacement diaphragms is due to tight tolerances inherent in tweeters. It is likely that the design of that tweeter simply doesn't afford field replacement without a sacrifice in quality or making the tweeter even more expensive initially.

I agree with you that being able to inexpensively repair a loudspeaker is an excellent selling point... you should drive that point home to JBL by writing to them. ...and when you do, let me suggest you not call them pigs.

... never cared for your audience or asked for it, so move on pls.
    I realize you are catching it, but what would you expect. Let's try to remain civil here.

Widget

. Starting to get it yet? .
    Yes....You should buy different monitors, because obviously you're not happy with them and they're not for you.

Are they under warranty? Try a service center. If they're fried to a crisp, that hip-hop overdriven, bass-distorted headroom sapping shit ain't gonna cut it.....it'll burn them tweeter voice coils....cumulatively.

I bet the JBL's get the most use....don't they?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    It is likely that the design of that tweeter simply doesn't afford field replacement without a sacrifice in quality or making the tweeter even more expensive initially.
    That could be valid... i already did write JBL. I've seen other posts from other people asking about replacement diapragms, so a thread could encourage more emails to jbl's service center. JBL should in the least offer a service to fix the tweeter via a mail in. It's a shame throwing away a perfectly good driver.... hate doing it, feels like such a waste. Like trashing a good car, because the transmission is busted.

What did i expect? A little civility for starters.

What did i expect? A little civility for starters.
    You did get a little civility for starters...

You must know that this site is for fans of Lansing... calling JBL pigs and talking about how your speakers aren't worth fixing while you go ahead and do it, and your tone in general is bound to piss off a few people.

If I went to the Harley Davidson forum and started posting about what shoddy bikes they are, don't you expect I'd be told where to go? Just use some common sense.

I'm sorry to hear that you keep blowing tweeters. If it happened to me I'd be on the people who sold the speakers to me and I'd get them repaired or replaced. If they continued to blow, then I'd realize that they were not appropriate for my application and I'd find something that was.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If I went to the Harley Davidson forum and started posting about what shoddy bikes they are . . .
    Oh let's!

Install a Poly switch in series with the tweeter . Yawn

I think they were invented so a punk teenager would not trash Dad's expensive loudspeakers while he was off having an affair with his secretary.

In the 70's punks would wire up 10 LE15 to the mains to get it on ..things have gotten a bit more sophisticated since then.

But joints still seem to get rolled behind the Desk while trying to impress the client.

They cost about $2.00 bucks

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/rn3460.pdf
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/rn3464.pdf

RXE075 PTC Fuses - Speaker Protection

Low cost speaker protection.More specifications ensure accurate choice for better protection. Polyswitches will protect against electrical (current) overload and will protect speakers in most situations. They are not foolproof and will not protect against mechanical overload. Select the device based on its trip (power rating W), eg. if you need to protect a tweeter that will handle 10 watts RMS and its rated at 8 ohms you would select an RXE075 device. If in doubt, be conservative. Some experimentation may be necessary since music signals can vary a great deal. Simply connect in series with the speakers you wish to protect.

How they work
    Polyswitch protectors are based on conductive polymers and act like resettable solid state circuit breakers. When the operating current of the protector is exceeded the interior of the device partially melts, which suddenly increases the volume which increases the resistance drastically. This in turn reduces the current. The device stays in this state while the current is maintained because its temperature is elevated. Once the current is removed, the device re- establishes itself almost immediately, so that the low resistance value is restored.

Voltage ratings
    RN3460/62 - 60 volts; the rest are 50 volts.
    Part No - RXE075
    Trip 4- Ohms - 5.1 watts
    Trip 6- Ohms - 7.7 watts
    Trip 8- Ohms - 10.2 watts
    Trip Current - 1.13 amps

Thread Information