Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2440 Diaphragms

2440 Diaphragms

I have done a search here and I am still not sure what to do with my recently acquired pair of 2440's. One of them has an aluminum 'phragm that shows evidence of stress and the other has a dull grey metal that I presume to be titanium with a diamond pattern surround.

I think they are real JBL parts. Since I am going to have to buy at least one new one, what do you experienced guys recommend?

The application will be home hi-fi, I think I read that JBL no longer makes aluminum, they only have titanium. Using ti, I believe the drivers turn into 2441's. Is this the best way to go?

I could get some al from Radian, does anyone have experience in a hi-fi application with these?

I want to try them with my DIY 4333's with 2311 horns. I think these horns will fit in the existing opening. My apologies for dragging up this issue once again in the forum....

2440 and 2441

Both the 2440 and 41 are the same driver, only the diaphragm is different. The 2440 aluminum phragm has a half roll surround, while the 41 has an aluminum diaphragm with diamond pleat surround!

JBL does still make aluminum diaphragms for these drivers, and I would put new 2441 diaphragms in both of your 40 drivers.

The newer 41 diaphragm has lower distortion, and better higher frequency response.

Aluminum is the way to go, its most definitely better sounding than titanium. The 2441 never came with a ti diaphragm, someone else must have put that in the driver! And for home Hi Fi youll most definitely be able to hear the difference between Ti and Aluminum.

JohnH
    The dull grey metal is probably titanium. I had some of these and replaced them with aluminum 2441 diaphragms. I liked the aluminum ones a lot better. Smoother, less "shouty" sounding than the titaniums. The 2241 diaphragm will go higher in frequency than the 2440s, without the bump around 9kHz the 2440s have before they die.

rgrjit8
    I also am looking at replacing my 2441 diaphragm(s).

Do you guys recommend JBL only parts?
    If so, is there a more reasonble source? They cost over 200$!

How about Orange County speaker repair at 70$ each?
    Of course I believe they advertise only titanium, is the sound really so much worse?

Finally, would there be such a difference in sound between one re-'phrammed driver and its mate that I would not be happy unless I re-did both drivers?

Hey, rgrjit8...

"Do you guys recommend JBL only parts?

And to: "is the sound really so much worse?" and "I would not be happy unless I re-did both drivers?" - you'd best follow Scott's advice:

Originally posted by scott fitlin
    I would put new 2441 diaphragms in both of your ... drivers.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I need one too

i have a 2441 w/o dia., and a 2440 w/ original one in good shape. I am looking for a 2440 dia. as well - easier to buy one than two... unfortunately they are hard to find - OCS has them @ $204/ea I think - anyone know of a cheaper source? (other than Ebay)

thanks
    -Ed

Personally I would only use JBL parts... You buy JBL for quality. To maintain that quality it costs money.

If you really must cheap out I would recommend the aluminum diaphragms made by Radian. They are available through OCS for about $110 each. They only have one model that is sort of between the 2440 and 2441.

Widget

BTW. You should always change both diaphragms if one is very old or they are from different manufacturers.
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 03-22-2004 at 07:14 PM.

So what's the deal with diaphragms....will JBL sell to us joe blows or do we need to go through a reconer like for woofers? I may go for some 2442 diaphragms in my 2445's down the road a bit (I heard they fit).

Re: 2440 Diaphragms

Hi Charles,

I agree with scott's reply......The 2441 with aluminium dia is a lot better for hifi than the 2440 or the 2441 with ti dia...the difference is remarkable.
    The difference between the 2440 and 41 is, as I remember not only the diamond pattern dia. The 2441 also has the pur silver ring for impedance control round the pole piece. Thats why this driver does the 15kHz very easy.
    If you have a 2440 driver with ti dia, it perhaps in cause of the use of a 2445 dia , or the use of an aftermarket dia.

PS: why do you want to change the 2420 in your 4333, its a very fine driver for hifi. .....the 2311 horn fits exactly in the hole of the 2312.

HP
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

pangea

Alu vs. Ti

Hi!

I just wan't to express my personal view.

I personally prefer the Ti dia. before the Alu dia. in my 2445J's.

IMHO I find the Ti dia's to be more crisp/clear and more detailed in their presentation and with a nearness and presence, that I have never heard in any other speaker.

Though I think that also has to do with the fact that I'm using a simple first order X-over at 1600 Hz, which doesn't garble the sound.

I NEVER get tired of listening to them, not even after ten + hours.
    When playing a good record I often feel so close to the singers I could almost see what they had for breakfast.

That total nearness I don't experience with the Alu dia's.

I have had this up for discussion earlier and I still think the difference in preference, may have something to do with what has been said here in this thread not so long ago, that people often buy what they're told to buy and not so often what they like them selves. I think this could also have something to do with cultural differences and sometimes maybe due to the use of wall to wall carpets, often found in American homes.

Just as people from Japan and the far east, often seem to prefer a lighter and crispier touch to the music.

That's what I think, but then again, I could be totally wrong, so, the only way to find out, is to listen and compare for your self.

BR
    Roland

jbl
    Hi all
    I agree with Pangea. I've heard the Al 2410, 2441 drivers. The Ti drivers (my 2425's) and 2445's sound both clearer as well as more life like. The Al drivers, I feel, are more suited for three + way systems where as the Ti drivers have a more extended range where the 2405 or other UHF drivers are not needed. They can be used as two way systems. Not to start a riot, but the Al drivers for the most part, used Alinco where as the later Ti drivers used Ferrite.

Ron

ok....

... so since you guys love the Ti diaphragms so much (which is fine w/ me!), any nice reasonable priced 2440 aluminums you have hanging around, unused, that you can part with? ;-)

my application would be in a 3 or 4 way setup, so ultimate HF response is not a priority for my use. I may have to just bite the bullet and get one from OCS... they dont' seem to be showing up on Ebay (unless you want to buy a whole driver of unknown quality with it... )

thanks
    -Ed

No Riots Please

Well. they make cars in many colors too.

Aluminum does have lower distortion, but titanium does have a harder brighter sound. If that is what you like there is no reason not to enjoy it.

Widget

PS: why do you want to change the 2420 in your 4333, its a very fine driver for hifi. .....the 2311 horn fits exactly in the hole of the 2312
    HofmannHP: I do not necessarily have a problem with my 2420/2312/2308, I just want to try a large format driver. I have heard from others they are capable of remarkable performance.

Plus, I vividly remember listening to a pair of 4350's at a studio in Montreal in the '70's (I think it was 1979)....man it was like listening to the voice of GOD!

Thanks everyone for the info, most especially thanks to Giskard for his assistance, I am going to try some aluminum 2441 'phragms.
    C.

pangea

Re: No Riots Please

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Well. they make cars in many colors too.

Widget
    Mr. Widget!

I wouldn't describe it as different colors on a car, since the color won't change the performance. I would more likely compare it to different suspension settings. Some like it soft, while others prefer a more firm setting and while we're on the subject of cars, , if I had to choose between a four cylinder engine and a twelve cylinder engine, I would definitely try to squeeze in the V 12.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information