Thread: Comparisons

Comparisons

Can someone tell me how the JBL S2600 compares with other JBL speakers, any of the well know and respected series. There is not alot of information that I have been able to gleen from the net regarding these speakers. They will arrive on 4/7/08.

Update

I just rec'd a phone call from Fedex. One of the speakers has "water damage" due to being on a trailor and water leaking inside. I cannot believe that! This will be the third time I will have rec'd damaged goods from UPS or FEDEX this year. I have only purchased three things this year. Not a good track record.

They will deliver to me tomorrow ( due today ) and I will inspect it then. I am a little more than upset. Sorry, I just needed a place to vent. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1040
    I just rec'd a phone call from Fedex. One of the speakers has "water damage" due to being on a trailor and water leaking inside. I cannot believe that! This will be the third time I will have rec'd damaged goods from UPS or FEDEX this year. I have only purchased three things this year. Not a good track record.

They will deliver to me tomorrow ( due today ) and I will inspect it then. I am a little more than upset. Sorry, I just needed a place to vent. Thanks
    That's a drag. If your speakers were sealed up with plastic before being boxed up / they may be all right .

- Educate me here, ( & According to Fedex policy ) ; once you accept delivery , do you waive any rights to file a damage claim at a later date ?

- The reason I ask is that assessing for water-damaged components ( through an outside only visual inspection ) isn't the most effective way to proceed . The components need to be removed and closely examined .

HF ( Driver ) Damage ;
    - ie; Large horns will funnel water into a compression driver and waterlog the paper former of a diaphragm, effectively deforming & destroying the voicecoil . - A visual inspection won't usually bring this to light / though removing the driver from the horn and shaking it while listening for slooshing sounds, might.
    - Opening up the driver and removing the diaphragm is the only sure way to know if there is ( or has been ) water inside of the gap area .
    - Horn / driver removal will need to be covered by someone else who actually own a pair of these speakers .

Woofer Damage ;

- The plasticized cone and surround ( I'm assuming the ME120H is similar to my ME150H in this regard ) can withstand more wetness than a raw paper cone ( so you might dodge a bullet there if the cabinet wasn't facedown or faceup ) .

- To the best of my knowledge , the ME120H can't be reconed .
    - Original woofer replacement is most likely "NLA", leaving you to seek out a workable substitute .
    - I'm thinking the 1200Fe would come closest as a viable dropin / but you'll need help from someone who actually has a pair of these rare (SOTA ) twelves before that can be determined .
    - Acoustically, you'll want to replace in pairs .

- If in your shoes, I'd collect some replacement costs on these parts before Fedex arrives tomorrow and demands a snap decision ( if, that's their way of doing things ) .

best of luck tomorrow,

ps; archive your initial findings with pics .

As you my assume with my name, I am right at the end of tax season and really do not need this hassle. Fedex will deliver, I will inspect and, if needed, issue a "call tag"-they may not need to pick up the speakers in order to get a refund-at least that is what a lady told me today. I really do not know the answers. UPS delivered a pair of JBL 940T that I had to send back-getting a full refund-I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1040
    As you may assume with my name, I am right at the end of tax season and ,,,,,,snip.
    - Actually, as a Canadian, the number included within your moniker didn't imply anything of note .

ps ; Here are Harmans' most up to date prices for the limited replacement parts they offer .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quick update

S2600 arrived. Shipping boxes destroyed. Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040
    ,,,snip,,,Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.
    Well, that's very encouraging .

- Don't wait too long to open them up to inspect the components .
    - The top-plate of the drivers ( which the voicecoil sits inside ) is suseptible to rusting ( if any water got into these drivers' gap areas ) .
    - Storing the speakers face-down will drain moisture from the woofers gaps / but retaining moisture in the compression drivers' gap areas . Flip 180° for the alternative to be true .

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    S2600 arrived. Shipping boxes destroyed. Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.
    I would still file a claim. If you explain that the original shipping boxes are part of the value of a vintage system like yours, FedEx should pay you for the damaged boxes. Obviously soaking people's shipments isn't normal... I am sure they will work out something with you if you pursue it.

Glad to hear that your speakers seem OK.

Widget

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Obviously soaking people's shipments isn't normal...
    That's one of the reasons I always encase speakers in plastic, (big lawn bags or other), before I pack them in shipping boxes. At least it's a little more protection...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    (big lawn bags or other)
    Yeah, JBLs should go in "lawn" bags, never trash bags.

Seriously, JBL ships most of their speakers and drivers in bags too... always a good idea. However, I think a flooded semi trailer is rather exceptional.

Widget

Thread Information