Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looky, Looky !!

Man, a couple of you guys are having babies here! If Altec wants to put the 515 in the speaker and call it the A7 then that's that, they get to do that. They ARE Altec and can do as they will.

Todd, you act as though this was a personal affront. First you were critical of Altec because they just made computer speakers and now you're critical of them because they're making a good speaker. What's it gonna be buddy?

Overpriced speakers should be no shock to anybody, at least Altec is doing better than giving you Vifa tragic domes and chinless 6" woofers for your money. What kind of junky drivers would VonFalkenhyn or VonManstein, or whatever that Junker's name is, give for this kind of money?

Todd W. White
    Tom,

Not only is it a personal affront, it is an affront to -

1. The inventors and developers of the REAL A7.

2. The people who sold and distributed the A7 over the years.

3. The current owners of REAL A7's.

4. Anyone who values classic designs.

It's kind of like REAL Coca-Cola and "New" Coke - neither of what they are selling now really IS the bona fide thing.

Tom, these people are NOT Altec!!!

According to the legal department at Telex, who DID own it at the time, THE Altec Lansing Corporation that WE all think of when someone says, "Altec" ceased to be - period - on March 6, 1996.

Therefore, Altec Lansing Technologies, which had been leasing the rights to use the NAME for home, car, & computer products, could NOT have purchased the actual company, because the company did not exist!

Not only that, but they did NOT purchase ANY -

* Product Designs
    * Patents
    * Literature
    * Parts
    * Tooling

- or ANYTHING else that pertained to the REAL Altec Lansing Corporation!

This, of course, includes any rights to claim that THEY are THE same company as the old one!

If you will read the matierials on the link below, you will find that ALT merely purchased the following trademarks owned by Telex that were still alive and pertained to the Altec Lansing BRAND at the time of the sale. They did NOT buy the actual company!

Instead, they bought these trademarks and any goodwill they might engender:

1. Altec
    2. Lansing
    3. Altec Lansing
    4. Voice of the Theatre
    5. Voice of the Highway

(They got DUPLEX later)

Click Here To Read The SEC Copy of the Sales Agreement Between Telex & ALT

Tom - the reason so many of us are appalled at this is that, IMHO, the folks at ALT are pretenders to the throne - they want everyone to think that THEY are THE Altec Lansing, and, therefore, are due the same honor and respect as the real company, which no longer exists!

To me, as one who grew up in the industry, and was an Altec contractor for many years, this is offensive.

It's also dishonest.

I think that if they want to iintroduce an A7-type system, that it's their business, and they can do it all day long, for all I care -

- BUT DON'T CALL IT A "CLASSIC" A7 WHEN IT REALLY ISN'T, AND DON'T DO IT UNDER THE GUISE OF BEING THE SAME COMPANY THAT DESIGNED AND SOLD IT FOR OVER 40 YEARS!

Just my thoughts...

yeah

Take me. For instance. I find many discrepancys. I knew the sensitivity rating is a mistake, but as you say Tom, they are THE Altec. They should sound great, but I wonder about companys that dont get their own info correct.

Bill made the Drivers! These should be good, real good! At least THE Altec knew enough to get the right drivers!

$8600! Yeah ,bud, for that kind of scratch you bet your A... they should have posted specs on everything, polar patterns, freq vs impedance plots, the whole shebang!

Im calling them today to find out more and see about auditioning them!

Todd---Well I own A7s and I don't feel an affront. This is the way business is done in this country, they come and they go. When you buy the name you ARE the company.

I presume the people who designed the original are dead and long past being offended.

And if the "real" Altec company was so sacred then the people that ran it should have done a better job. They're not gonna pay your rent, what do you care about them. Nobody cares. At one time Altec was bigger than either JBL or EV, then in 20 years they screwed-up and went down the tubes and now I see EV all over the place (and sounding damned good too by the way).

Look, they're buying the drivers from your buddy, right? They're giving him business and putting a good product back on the market. Would you be happier if one couldn't buy new Altec speakers? Do you feel this reintroduction of classic Altec product under the Altec name is competition for your pals at Iconic? Perhaps that bothers you?

You shouldn't take this personally Todd, it's only business.

your gonna love this.....

I called three different numbers, and no one knows about this A7!

Technical support asked me If im sure they make this. He checks website and says Oh, well, you have the WRONG Altec!

9 grand, huh?

it definitely IS listed on Altec lansing,s technologies website, but not on Altec Pro! I called Altec Pro, and couldnt get an answer from them either. WHY?

Bill REALLY did make the drivers for them, so thats a plus, but why cant I get info on these?
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 05-28-2003 at 02:49 PM.

Todd W. White
    Knowing that what I am about to say will confuse (and probably upset) some, and be understood by perhaps only a few, here goes -

Tom,

I take exception to your post as follows:

1. When you buy a name, it does NOT automatically mean you bought the COMPANY - it means you bought just that, A NAME.

Altec is MORE than a mere name - it is MORE than a series of well-designed and well-built products!

Altec is a FAMILY!

There is a deep, inexplicable, familial connection between the designers of the classic Altec products, the people who built them, the people who sold them, the people who installed them, and the people that used them! In fact, they are all SO intertwined that they are more like a family!

This is why it killed us to watch the folks from Extra-Viscious and later Mark IV castrate the real Altec Lansing - we KNEW that they neither knew nor cared ANYTHING about the company they were emasculating - they were just selling carboard boxes! In fact, they could have been selling concrete blocks, and it wouldn't have mattered to THEM, as long as they made MONEY!

Yet, we were powerless to stop it.

The truth is, what Altec did and was really WAS sacred, as you say, to everyone but the management of the last 20 years -

It was sacred to the designers of the products,

It was sacred to those who built the products,

It was sacred to the contractors who sold and installed the products,

It was sacred to the technical support people,

It was sacred to the people who repaired the products,

In fact, it was sacred to everyone invloved in the process EXCEPT the people EV brought in to run it!

The management team that presided over the swallowing up and demise of the REAL Altec Lansing Corporation is the same one that is operating the new "Altec Lansing Professional!" And, while they continue to attempt to foist upon the buying public that THEY are THE same COMPANY, WE KNOW that, quite simply. THEY ARE NOT!

2. One does not have to be offended personally for the actions of ALT to be an affront - you're just a better man than I.

3. The fact that my friend is building these products is proof that this means more to me than just seeing great products get back on the market - if THAT were the ONLY thing I was concerned with, I wouldn't be making such a fuss about the issue!

But it is MORE than that - it is a matter of honesty, principle, and integrity!

The folks at ALPro, as I have stated before, STOLE Bill's idea from him, IMHO, and then pitched it to ALT, got themselves jobs, and are proceeding to take the manufacturing to China (and elsewhere) with nary a care in the world what it means to Bill!

For them, you're right - it's ONLY BUSINESS!

This, alone, is downright despicable, and someone ought to be honest enough to stand up and say that it is WRONG!

4. The fact that Iconic Mfg. Co. is planning to sell Bill's products in systems, etc., has nothing to do with my being upset about ALT & ALPro's behavior - Iconic does not CLAIM to be Altec, nor does it CLAIM to be building Altec products!

But ALT & ALPro do!

The difference is that Iconic is doing what it does in the light - they openly tell people where their loudspeakers are made and by whom!

ALT & ALPro don't say ONE WORD about Bill & GPA!

You see, my friend, this is not "only business" for me, and countless others like me, this is an attack on my family and friends, some of whom are dearer to me than anyone in all the earth...

All I can make out of this so far.......

I have made several attempts to contact the RIGHT Altec and get info on these speakers, as well as finding out about the actual availability. No one knows anything! The best answer I got today was from Bill at GPA and he told me he made the drivers for them.

As for purchasing, they dont really seem to be available as no one seems to know about these.

Altec Lansing technologies says its not THEIR product, yet they have an A7 icon located on their website taking you to the ONLY available info on these speakers.

I would have thought they would jump at the chance to sell a pair of A7,s right off the bat!

Maybe Todd is right and all this is, IS a cover to keep the trademarks and patents going?
    Last edited by scott fitlin; 05-28-2003 at 12:53 PM.

Todd W. White
    Scott,

I had the same experience when I called ALT today - they didn't know WHAT I was talking about!

The whole thing sounds VERRRRY suspicious!

PSS AUDIO

Re: All I can make out of this so far.......

Originally posted by scott fitlin

Maybe Todd is right and all this is, IS a cover to keep the trademarks and patents going? [/B]
    Hi from France,

From what I know, if a company do not use and sell any products under a registered brand, one can claim that this brand is unused and get it withdrawn from the records!

Once it is done, you can deposit the same name and have for quite free!

Yuri D. Gutsatz Jr.

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Todd W. White

Instead, they bought these trademarks and any goodwill they might engender:

1. Altec
    2. Lansing
    3. Altec Lansing
    4. Voice of the Theatre
    5. Voice of the Highway

(They got DUPLEX later)
    Hi from France (again),

In a word, how much have they paid for those brands?

Yuri D. GUTSATZ Jr.

Todd W. White
    According to the document on the SEC I found, they paid 1 MILLION DOLLARS (US) for them, plus the international TM's that they had!

If they are introducing the replica A-7s to protect that investment, I can understand why! It is too bad that they aren't making a better attempt at keeping the brand alive.

On the other hand there is no reason why they can't market a 5.1 plastic speaker set up that is essentially a glorified boom box and call it the A-7 voice of the Theater. That would really be a crime, but it is theirs to do as they please...they bought it!

This past January at CES, I had the chance to meet with Eric Langberg and Robert Puzey of ALT. Eric is the Director of Engineering for ALT and was responsible for the concept of the Legacy systems. Robert is a product manager responsible for development of the systems.

They were quite open in discussing the project background and their explanation made sense to me. However, you can judge for yourself. The primary objective is to maximize the brand equity inherent in the Altec Lansing name. They are aware that there is a long legacy behind the Altec name that is virtually unknown in their current market of multimedia systems. With their recent outright purchase of the Altec trademarks, they feel there is an opportunity to build on this investment.

Statement speakers that embody the heritage of the company provide an opportunity to widen the perception of their current market beyond just multimedia speakers. It appears that they have plans to re-enter the broader consumer electronics market, and highlighting the past role of Altec Lansing in that market gives them a leg up in establishing the brand. They have no illusions that the new A7 will generate significant sales numbers. It is simply a flagship for subsequent mass market systems.

This is no different from JBL, Klipsch or any number of other speaker manufacturers with built in brand equity and a mass market focus in their products. JBL does not build the K2-S9800 solely for the revenue it generates and neither does Klipsch with the Khorn. Sales are measured in terms of a few hundred units per year for these systems. Their great value is in enhancing the brand profile for their more mass market products that generate millions in sales.

Regarding ALT's consumer phone centre lacking knowledge of the new system, this is not surprising. Back in 1996, I contacted JBL about their then new S3100. It was introduced on their website as available in the US at a price of $7,000/pr. This was obviuously long before our site and before I had any contacts at JBL. I made numerous phone calls, talked to numerous people from a number of different departments at Harman Consumer. None knew anything about the system. I was some time before I was put in touch with somene deep in the bowels of Harman International that at least had access to a spec sheet, even though he personally knew nothing of their availability.

A examination of the $7,000 price of JBL's S3100 indicates that ALT's price of $8,000 for the A7 is not out of line. This is not to say that it is a good buy for readers of this forum. It's just that this is a reflection of the actual costs. Material costs for low volume products are a minor component of the overall costs. The low volumes means there are no productivity gains to be had from mass manufacture. In particular, the A7 enclosure is very complex in its construction that is almost entirely hand built with very high labour costs. Development costs have to be spread over a very small number of units, as does marketing, inventory and on and on.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Don,

Thanks for originating this thread. One of the things that I appreciate about this forum is the vast pool of information that is brought up on a variety of topics. Your MODERATE tone is also always welcome.

" A examination of the $7,000 price of JBL's S3100 indicates that ALT's price of $8,000 for the A7 is not out of line. This is not to say that it is a good buy for readers of this forum. It's just that this is a reflection of the actual costs. Material costs for low volume products are a minor component of the overall costs. The low volumes means there are no productivity gains to be had from mass manufacture. In particular, the A7 enclosure is very complex in its construction that is almost entirely hand built with very high labour costs. Development costs have to be spread over a very small number of units, as does marketing, inventory and on and on."

So true! As one who makes a living producing small numbers of things I was surprised that they could produce a new A-7, drivers and all, for this price. It isn't the cost of wood and steel it is the labor. As you aptly put it, it may not be a great buy, but heck it may introduce a new generation of people to the the types of speakers we all enjoy.

I hope you're right and they do try to revitalize the Altec tradition. I think it would be great if like JBL they update their statement products too. Maybe down the road they even come out with a modern horn system the A-10...

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Todd W. White
    According to the document on the SEC I found, they paid 1 MILLION DOLLARS (US) for them, plus the international TM's that they had!
    Hi,

They only paid 1 MILLION $ for such a legend?

If I knew it was for sale at that price I would bought it as the requested price is nothing compared of what can be done with this brand: ALTEC LANSING.

If you know them that well, ask them if they a ready to sell it back again?

I know ALTEC LANSING since 1975 and the French distributor (Georges KENDIRGI) gave we the opportunity to exhibit my first amplifiers on his stand while a fair in Paris.

I even built some speakers with references YGR511 and YGR811, at that time all my amplifiers were named MODEL 1830 – MODEL 1848 – MODEL 1789 and so on.

Years later, I realised why I called them that way!

I was so much impressed by ALTEC LANSING that I took their way of labelling their amplifiers and speakers!

Being the owner of such a brand the only think to do is to rebuild some of the best speakers they had with updating the xovers with better capacitors.

About their amplifiers, the 9440 was a great one. It would be a pure wishful thinking manufacturing them again ant marketing them at a reasonable price.

Keeping the good AB technology as we do in our amplifiers, launching several amplifiers built with the state of the art components under the brand of ALTEC LANSING …

Well, let’s stop dreaming … poor ALTEC LANSING, what have they done not to be anymore on the top of the basket and manufacturing plastic speakers for computers!

Can one imagine FERRARI building dinghy toys cars?

Yuri D. GUTSATZ Jr.

Thread Information