Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4312 or 4425 ?

4312 or 4425 ?

It's great to know that I'm not alone

I ever thought that my passion for JBL speakers was something related to a kind of perversion, but now finally i found that this passion is something that I can share

And what surprise to find so many very advanced user with lot of knowledge in this specific fields
    I'm sure that some of you can answer my question
    4312 or 4425 ?

I'm not crazy, just I'm trying to find an answer to this doubt

This is the story

I'm using in my home a pair of 4312. It's long time I had it and I'm quite satisfied
    Recently I decided to let one of my dream came true
    I found a pair of 4430 and I bought it and I placed these loudspeaker into my office
    You can imagine what i felt when I turned on my McIntosh and hear the voice of these speaker
    Immediately my 4312 become something that sound like a shoe-box.
    Now the problem is that I can't use the 4430 in my Home. They can't fit in my leaving room (translation: my girlfriend doesn't want these BIG box....)
    So during this "bad sleeping" night my perversion worked and I thought: ....4425 ?
    The dimension are similar to the 4312.....so these are more "acceptable"
    This is the question: are the 4425 "similar" to the 4430? ( I mean in terms of sound. I know the components are totally different)
    Have any meaning to substitute the 4312 with the 4425 ?
    Thank you for any suggestion, or personal experience with all these wonderful loudspeakers (4312/4425/4430.....)

4425, having the same mid- and high-frequency dispersion character as the 4430, will sound quite similar, but without the big bass. A supplemental subwoofer can somewhat make up for this. (See below. )

The 4425 also lacks some of the transparency of the larger 4430; it's more "forward" sounding.

The major difference between these and the 4312, of course, is the constant directivity conferred by the Biradial horns. If you like the "ambience" of the 4430, you'll like 4425 as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you very much Zilch for your suggestion
    Now I'll go for sure with 4425.
    I'll also consider to make a subwoofer. I've a couple of 2231H that need to be reconed. Can I use the recone kit of 2235 ? Have somedbody already used this woofer on a subwoofer project ?

Again thanks a lot to all of you guys

Quote Originally Posted by mvaldes
    I've a couple of 2231H that need to be reconed. Can I use the recone kit of 2235 ? Have somedbody already used this woofer on a subwoofer project ?
    I've never heard of a 2231H or 2235H. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned them here before. Are they JBL's?

2231H will recone nicely to 2235, yes.

I'd put them in separate B380 boxes, a proven solution.

Read up here. Details for B380 are near the end. One 4" port 9" long was used in my factory units:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

Also, as Lancer suggests, if you use "Search" in these forums, you find hundreds of threads on the subject.

Lotsa good ideas for this, and plenty good fun in their pursuit....

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    I've never heard of a 2231H or 2235H. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned them here before. Are they JBL's?
    aren't those Bose?

This is the question: are the 4425 "similar" to the 4430? ( I mean in terms of sound. I know the components are totally different)

yes, and no. I'd agree with Zilch here. However, the 4425 does not put out as "BIG" a sound as the 4430. The extra 2235's will add more bass, BUT, if you have to add two 2235's in B380 boxes, why not just use the 4430's and have the best?

Yes, I know your girl friend won't like them, but if she won't like the 4430's how's she going to like the B380 boxes?? something to think about. those B380 boxes aren't small.

No. The 4425 was intentionally voiced differently than the 4430 and 4435. Different system engineers.

4312 or 4425 ?

You're going to have to listen to both and make your choice based on your perception.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Yes, I know your girl friend won't like them, but if she won't like the 4430's how's she going to like the B380 boxes??
    B380's will be "stands."

4425's gotta go on SOMETHING, no?

With JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth, they'll match.

[You know the drill.... ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    B380's will be "stands."

4425's gotta go on SOMETHING, no?

With JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth, they'll match.

[You know the drill.... ]
    yes, BUT, no matter how hard he tries it won't be a 4430, PLUS, he's got to build the subs get a crossover and amp. why not just get the 4425's and put those on top of the 4430's ( since we need a stand) and ONLY hook up the the 4430's

I ever thought that my passion for JBL speakers was something related to a kind of perversion, but now finally i found that this passion is something that I can share

yes, it's a great feeling when you find out you're not alone. HOWEVER......... our passion for JBL's is a preversion that can lead down a long dark path of no return...just a word of warning here

Regis

Now the problem is that I can't use the 4430 in my Home. They can't fit in my leaving room (translation: my girlfriend doesn't want these BIG box....)

She's only a girlfriend and you've got the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) thing already going? Gawd, you're in big trouble now! Get the 4430's! Tell the 'girlfriend', we gonna have some big JBL's in the living room and if she doesn't like it, by God, I'm going to get a pair of 4435's, just to piss her off!

That way, you can drown out the complaints, with a simple twist of the volume knob. "Huh, what'd you say?", "Can't hear you!", "No, I can't turn it down, this is the best part of the song!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    Well it depends on who did/does the recones

Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    She's only a girlfriend and you've got the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) thing already going? Gawd, you're in big trouble now! Get the 4430's! Tell the 'girlfriend', we gonna have some big JBL's in the living room and if she doesn't like it, by God, I'm going to get a pair of 4435's, just to piss her off
    That's fine, Regis, EXCEPT, of course, when it's HER house....

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    That's fine, Regis, EXCEPT, of course, when it's HER house....

Oh-oh... Never thought of dat! Maybe that's why I'm twice divorced (though I did convince Ex #2 to buy a pair of 4628's that still sit in their majestic blackness in her living room to this day!).

I guess the next route is Best Buy or Circuit City to look at the truly cute speakers (pencils and tissue boxes), but fortunately, our friend here is not going there!

Thread Information