Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITS TARTAN DAY

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Guy's

don't forget the deep fried Mars Bar

Rich
    Wouldn’t it melt in the deep frying pan? I like Mars, Ice-Cream, but after looking at some of these tasty, scummy pies yummy.

Scapa

Well thats a new one on me. Not the still but the age, I've only ever seen/tried the 10 year old. I thought the 10 to be a bit lacking in character but the 14 that you have looks to have taken on some maturity judging by the colour.
    That is very often the case , that the extra few years just does the trick and the dram becomes more full and rounded.
    My nearest still is Glengoyne and it is very much like that , at 10 years it is pale and uninteresting however they do a 17 which is splendid. By then of course the price is way up.
    That my dear is why I recommended Aberlour , because even the youngest offering has a lot of character and smoothness that belies its age and price.
    If you get the chance invest in a bottle of A'bunadh from the Aberlour range , its just wonderful. Cask strength and unfiltered it is huge in every way.

Here are some comments -
    a'bunadh
    "I recently tasted the Aberlour a'bunadh at one of our tasting evenings - it was quite extraordinary."
    Michael Ackermann, Canada

"a'bunadh! Ahhhhhhhh! Finest liquid gold available!"
    K Bremner, Canada

"I just bought a bottle of a'bunadh and it's a mindblowing experience to drink such an excellent whisky. It's gold again."
    Evert Hoven, The Netherlands

"Just got a bottle of a'bunadh. It was just like a revelation when all the tastes exploded in my mouth. The most fantastic whisky I've tried."
    K Oestraatt, Norway

"a'bunadh is by far the grandest spirit I have ever had HANDS DOWN. At 120 proof I was a little sceptical as to the smoothness but after one wee dram I knew I had made a friend. It was fantastic."
    Roderick Gebensleben, USA

"I knew 10 and 15 years old but now I know a'bunadh. IT IS GREAT."
    Fabrice Laurent, France

"a'bunadh . . . the best I ever tasted."
    O Wahlberg, Sweden

"I have been so lucky to meet a'bunadh. I'll never die because I drunk the best whisky in the world."
    Mario Maresca, Italy

"a'bunadh has an incredible true taste of what a single malt should taste like."
    Kevin Phillips, Canada

"a'bunadh, a taste from heaven."
    Koos van Duijn, The Netherlands

No affil I might add .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We took our bottle of regular Aberlour to Richmond last week and finished it after Emma's Dad's funeral, but I checked and the A'bunadh IS available from the Virginia ABC store (state controlled hooch distribution). Maybe next payday (the one that doesn't go to the Mortgage!) I'll get a bottle. We did buy some Balvenie Single barrel in Richmond last week, left that with Emma's sister as she really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Well thats a new one on me. Not the still but the age, I've only ever seen/tried the 10 year old. I thought the 10 to be a bit lacking in character but the 14 that you have looks to have taken on some maturity judging by the colour.
    That is very often the case , that the extra few years just does the trick and the dram becomes more full and rounded.
    My nearest still is Glengoyne and it is very much like that , at 10 years it is pale and uninteresting however they do a 17 which is splendid. By then of course the price is way up.
    That my dear is why I recommended Aberlour , because even the youngest offering has a lot of character and smoothness that belies its age and price. If you get the chance invest in a bottle of A'bunadh from the Aberlour range , its just wonderful. Cask strength and unfiltered it is huge in every way.

No affil I might add .
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather, please pass on to Emma, my condolences for the loss of her Dad .

<> Earl K

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie
    If you get the chance invest in a bottle of A'bunadh from the Aberlour range , its just wonderful. Cask strength and unfiltered it is huge in every way.
    Mac, thanks for the headsup about this single malt . In a couple of weeks I'll be in Calgary ( our national home of "best-price" ) single malt opportunities .

<>

Now

As you know I wouldn't muck about on this particular subject. There are loads of great drammies and also there are as many not so wonderful.
    I am no fan at all of Glenfiddich yet it is one of the biggest ( volume ) sellers of Malt in the world.
    Now, we here can equate that to the speaker market and know fine well that the more that is spent on promotion then the less is spent on the product that you buy.
    You nice folks will like this wee true tale though. --- Very near where Glenfiddich is made there is a little stand alone pub called The Fiddichside Inn.
    It is tiny, from the front edge of the bar to the opposing wall at most would be 8 ft. There is an open fire on the opposing wall. This place is mostly frequented by huntin shootin fishin folks, ghillies and black Labradors. Sometimes you can go in there and it is Black Lab carpet and smelly too from the hill.
    However the really interestingthing about this place is old Dot who runs it. She was born in the building, went away during ww2 and came back and still owns it and runs it daily at the age of ( last time I saw her ) 89.
    There is a bottle of Macallan behind the bar that is at least 50 years old.Prob worth $20k because of its provenance yet it just sits there on thetop shelf.

If any of you are in Scotty land on a visit it is worth a detour

here it is

and old Dot and Robbie. Strangely last name Brandie.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information