Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITS TARTAN DAY

ITS TARTAN DAY

And to celebrate I'd like to buy every member of the forum a dram of whisky.
    If you care to meet me in the Clachan Bar in Drymen Square at 6pm this evening I will honour my pledge. If you cannot make it this will have to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Woo Hoo! Tartan Day!

Why Thank You Mac! May your Day be Magnificent That does look very inviting, I will join you in spirit
    Dont think its the propper glass but it will have to do in short notice.
    Got My Harris Tweed hat on and my Tartan (at least I think its Tartan, I know there are strict rules about this) and I'm ready to roll

C h e e r s!
    Just Play Music.

BTW it was 6:00 EST when I posted that picture which of course has no relevance to 6 oclock in Scotland but the intention was there

How long has this venerable tradition (Tartan Day) been around for, does it coincide with the invention of Tartan itself? Or is it more recent in its inception?
    Just Play Music.

J.A.F.S.

A tip o' the hat

A tip o' the hat to you from the Isle of Skye...
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    And to celebrate I'd like to buy every member of the forum a dram of whisky.
    If you care to meet me in the Clachan Bar in Drymen Square at 6pm this evening I will honour my pledge. If you cannot make it this will have to do.
    Sad as it is we cannot make it there, but we pulled out a few bottles (a couple due to your tips a few years back!) and had a taste of Abelour to all of you!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Good choice Heather

We have tartan day every day, It has been on the go now for 8 years I think and is prob a collaboration between NYC and the Scottish mafia to try to compete with Paddy's day. It is purely a US event.

We've gone to the Highland Games and Celtic Festival in Richmond VA when we have a chance - Emma 's family is Clan Chattin (the name was bastardized a bit at Ellis Island, no doubt), so she's got a bit of a taste for it already ... tho we always have to hunt down meat pies with HP sauce ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Pies R us

You hit it on the head there Heather

Guy's

don't forget the deep fried Mars Bar

Rich

Here we go

You should be starting to feel sick by now

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    You hit it on the head there Heather
    ummmm, meat pies ... gahhhhh

Delicious pies ... we GOT the HP sauce - import 4 bottles a year!

The pies? Can't FIND them 'round here, except during festivals!
    ... Emma did found a company in Utah (Utah???) but it'd cost a bit to ship east to DC from Utah ... (prolly cheaper from Glasgow!!)

The Utah folks claim they are Scotts - but we think they be Mormons!

http://www.morrisonmeatpies.com/history.htm

"Thomas Henry Morrison brought something unique and valuable with him from New Zealand - an old family recipe for delicious Scottish meat pies. Thomas and his wife started making these meat pies in 1883 in their own kitchen."

http://www.morrisonmeatpies.com/history.htm#

Morrison Meat Pie Company is a part of Utah history. It is said to be the oldest food processing plant west of the Mississippi.

Thomas Henry Morrison was born November 16, 1847 in Wellington, New Zealand. He immigrated to the United States and then directly to Utah in about 1880. He married Susana Baker on the 27th of March in Salt Lake City.

Thomas Henry Morrison brought something unique and valuable with him from New Zealand - an old family recipe for delicious Scottish meat pies. Thomas and his wife started making these meat pies in 1883 in their own kitchen. They had a small pushcart and each day he would push the cart all the way to downtown Salt Lake. This cart was heated with hot bricks to keep the fresh pies warm.

There is no way on this planet ........

That the USDA or whoever it is would let me send you anything like that, -------- But I could try. HP no prob just ask. Pies frozen wrapped and boxed with insulation should stay cold for a week. Or inside a BOSE 901 even, they have to have a use surely

Maybe I should export the HP down to you from Canada? A lot closer than over the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Maybe I should export the HP down to you from Canada? A lot closer than over the pond.
    I get HP sauce from a NJ firm - we buy it 4 at a time - its the real UK HP sauce, not that rebadged A-1 Steak sauce they sell here ... ugh!

http://www.englishteastore.com/hpsauce255g.html $3.85ea

Well, we finished off the Aberlour last week, so on Friday we went to get something new to try ...
    ... we found this new-to-us brand at the Virginia ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) - Scapa 14 year old

Its a single malt from the north, the Orkney Islands - drank straight-up, of course, quite nice and not too expensive.
    Quite a tasty drink, it seems the distillery was mothballed and in danger of closing when (in 2004) they decided to resurrect it
    (the soda can is not significant, t'was just a point of reference for that white flower from our 80 foot Magnolia Tree out back ...)

Thread Information