Thread: Is it worth it to rebuild an old JBL cabinet...?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    fjhuerta

Is it worth it to rebuild an old JBL cabinet...?

Hi all!

I've been thinking about a nice project to spend a couple of months with.

I own a pair of Danish made JBL LX-66 speakers. I like their sound, and would like to make them even better.

On further examination, I found the cabinet to be one of the weakest I've ever seen. It's not even made out of MDF - it's just particleboard. There's no bracing inside.

The speakers have 2 8" woofers and have quite a lot of bass. I'd assume such a weak cabinet, combined with so much bass power, is not exactly a recipe for uncoloured sound.

My plans are to build a new, heavily braced 1" MDF cabinet in the shape of the L-250 JBL speaker, and use the original crossover and drivers for the LX-66, while mantaining internal volume constant.

I calculated the internal volume of the LX-66 as being 107L. Then, after measuring the 4" port on the back, I arrived at a 40 Hz tuning point.

I'd also like to drop said tuning point at least 5 Hz. My goal would be having a 30 Hz tuning point, at the expense of efficiency. I always thought the speakers were a bit underdamped, anyway.

Do you think this would be a worthy project? I don't know - the 26Ti tweeter is not recognized as one of the best, and the original speaker is in good shape. I'd like to build it because I got a new low power tube amp, and think the JBL's would be ideal (with their high efficiency rating - around 94 dBs!).

Also, I've been looking for the T/S parameters for the 408G woofer driver, but haven't been able to find it, so I can't determine the speakers' response after re-tuning the cabinet, so I'll have to test them by ear.

Any opinions will be very welcome!
    Last edited by fjhuerta; 03-20-2004 at 10:13 AM.

Thread Information