Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Multichannel recordings - recommendations?

This weekend I listened to Eric Clapton's Sessions for Robert J DVD for the first time. I was stunned, this is fantastic. It's just like being in the recording studio with the musicians. And they're all really good musicians. Make sure you're listening to the DTS track in 5.1.

some theorie behind

Stereo and Surround
    A lecture on stereo and surround by Helmut Wittek.

http://www.schoeps.de/en/downloads/papers

Pink Floyd WYWH on SACD

Finally I bought Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on SACD.
    It offers a real 5.1 Sound with different channels and a center. The sound is brilliant and worth the little wxtra money IMHO. The booklet is quite nice. It is a multichannel hybrid SACD, so the disc is playable in any CD-player.

The DVD-A seems to be a part of the immersion box, which does not suit my needs.
    If you get a DVD-A with only DTS from an obscure source the result might be obscure.

There is a version converted with excellent hardware from an original quadro LP and processed with the well respected program CEDAR. It is an outstandind work but the sound does not reach that of the SACD.
    (In Germany you may keep a copy if you have the original LP).
    Name:  wywh_logo.png
Views: 1250
Size:  180.3 KB
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/7523
    Last edited by Hoerninger; 02-04-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Stereo and Surround
    A lecture on stereo and surround by Helmut Wittek.

http://www.schoeps.de/en/downloads/papers

Thanks for that. I understood about 90% of it and will look deeper into the references that eluded me.

They have some amazing microphones.
    Out.

Jeff Beck: Performing This Week...

...Live at Ronnie Scott's.

The man, the legend, the reality... at 63 (at the time in 2007) Jeff Beck shows why he has the chops to destroy every young wonder-thing guitar player out there. This is an incredible musical set on Bluray with DTS TrueHD 5.1 surround. (There's also a Dolby Surround track and PCM stereo.) The 21 song tracklist is both a Beck hit list and a "hit list" for every other wanna-be guitar player who's going to get a cap popped right in their arse if they attempt to play like this.

The audio is really splendid, made to be more that just a simple audience/ambience environment, though that is certainly there. But played at the right volume *LOUD* the instruments separate themselves and take up positions in the room that are palpable and powerful and intimate. I actually thought about moving the chairs out of the Two Jims Theatre and putting in a round table and a couple of chairs, with a small red-shaded light and some cocktails--it just felt like I was at a first or second row table at Ronnie Scott's.

The video quality is a bit hit and miss, as there are times when it's not as sharp as I'd like it, but there are many, many moments of absolute clarity. Close ups of Jeff''s hands at work on his Fender Stratocaster are mind blowing. The looks, smiles, and respect shown between Beck and his bandmates, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jason Rebello, and Tal Wilkenfeld are priceless. A few cool guests appear for vocals, and in one case vocals and guitar. Seeing and hearing a couple of Yardbirds bandmates together for a pair of songs is not a bad thing.

This is a Jeff Beck milestone captured in a wonderful moment, a self-built monument for all time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Finally I bought Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" on SACD.
    It offers a real 5.1 Sound with different channels and a center. The sound is brilliant and worth the little wxtra money IMHO. The booklet is quite nice. It is a multichannel hybrid SACD, so the disc is playable in any CD-player.

The DVD-A seems to be a part of the immersion box, which does not suit my needs.
    If you get a DVD-A with only DTS from an obscure source the result might be obscure.

There is a version converted with excellent hardware from an original quadro LP and processed with the well respected program CEDAR. It is an outstandind work but the sound does not reach that of the SACD.
    (In Germany you may keep a copy if you have the original LP).

was reading that BD music distribution is where the future is ...that DVD-a and SACD are withering on the vine.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Just got Chris Botti In Boston - BluRay in Dolby True HD - 71. audio ... http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Botti-Bo...dp/B001R60ESE/
    Botti plus Boston Pops plus some guest talent on various songs
    We haven't listened end to end but so far it sounds great - esp Botti with Yo Yo ma doing Morricone's theme from Cinema Paridiso -
    just amazing sound and vision!
    Using the Oppo BDP-93 and the Integra DTC 9.8, it all plays quite well!

Quite worthwhile recording to have - if you like that sort of thing ...!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sean Olive:HARMAN's How To Listen

How to Listen is a desktop software application developed by the Harman International R&D group for the purpose of training and selecting listeners used in audio product research, development, and testing. The software consists of a number of training exercises where different kinds of timbral, spatial and dynamic distortions commonly found within the recording and audio chains are simulated and added to music.
    The listener’s task is to identify, classify or rate these distortions according to a number of well-defined perceptual attributes and scales. The software automatically adjusts the difficulty of each training task based on the listener’s performance.

We are happy to offer a free beta version of this software to audio enthusiasts in the hope that they will use it to improve their critical listening skills and appreciation for high quality sound reproduction. Enjoy!
    ... Supports 2-channel stereo and multichannel wav files (up to 24 bit, 96 kHz)

http://harmanhowtolisten.blogspot.de/

Podcast
    with Scott Wilkinson interviewing Sean Olive:
    http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-98-sean-olive

Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones Live At The Checkerboard Lounge

Chicago 1981 DVD/CD (2012)

New mix including DTS 5.1
    Very astonishing mix, Muddy Waters and (some of) the Rolling Stones jump right into your listening room. I don't remember ever have had such an intimate listening impressing.
    But instead of reading my humble english better look here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Waters-Rolling...owViewpoints=1

Name:  waters+stones.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  47.0 KB

ASIN: B0085KGHI6

Agreed - I got that DVD package a week ago and it is stunning ... Video and Audio!
    Can't believe how small the stage was with all of them on it!

What an amazing evening that was for the attendees - glad they recorded it!

Chicago 1981 DVD/CD (2012)

New mix including DTS 5.1
    Very astonishing mix, Muddy Waters and (some of) the Rolling Stones jump right into your listening room. I don't remember ever have had such an intimate listening impressing.
    But instead of reading my humble english better look here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Waters-Rolling...owViewpoints=1

Name:  waters+stones.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  47.0 KB

ASIN: B0085KGHI6

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, Soundtrack

Name:  LoA_Music.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  17.9 KB

ASIN: B00004SE2M

Some time ago the soundtrack of the film „Lawrence of Arabia“ has been newly recorded and released as HDCD. If you listen to this music there is hardly anything to miss and it sounds wonderful. Interestingly this CD has been released in Dolby Surround, very unusual for a CD.
    You may wonder is surround sound an advantage in a screenplay taking place in a desert where there is no echo. Yes it is. When listening to the music you get the impression of depth in front and back, the desert surrounds you.

Name:  LoA_Soundtrack.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  23.0 KB

ASIN: B0000014RH

If you know the film and its music you may judge the new release of the soundtrack as smooth and gentle. The original soundtrack is released in stereo. It is more rough and it puts you right into the scenes of action. You might see the film only by listening to the music.

Got Emma a copy of the SADE - Coming Home Live 2011 concert on Bluray
    http://www.amazon.com/Sade-Bring-Hom...dp/B007NESBK2/
    Lots of hits, a great band & a VERY nice concert in surround [5.1]

If you like her music, its a very well done show.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

nena feat. nena

Nena is a German singer and actress. She rose to international fame with the song "99 Luftballons"/ "99 Red Balloons".
    In this concert she is featuring
    - Westbam
    - witt
    - Howard Jones
    - Kim Wilde
    - Hartmut Engler
    - Markus
    - Rolf, Jürgen and Uwe
    - Rosenstolz
    - Udo Lindenberg

Fine surround sound in
    - DVD-A with 96 kHz/24 bit,
    - DTS 5.1
    - Dolby 5.1
    and stereo tracks.

Name:  nena.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  18.7 KB

ASIN: B0000942HU

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same

The LP has always been one of my favorites. I was looking for a multichannel dvd.

The local dealers had no good offers. Amazon custumer reviews were totally mixed, and the sellers can't distinguish Audio DVD from Video DVD.
    Finally I got this one:

• Format: PAL, Special Edition, Surround Sound
    • Sprache: Englisch (Dolby Digital 2.0), Englisch (Dolby Digital 5.1), Englisch (DTS 5.1)
    • ASIN: B000WMDNNW

Within the menu I choose "Songs" as I am not so much interested in the film itself.
    It is really worth the suround sound.
    The blu-ray is said to be even better.

Name:  tsrts_4.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  45.1 KB

Cream Reunion Concert Bluray

I don't see this listed here, but I find this disc fabulous. ( DTS HD MA ). Jack Bruce's bass playing is very tight not to mention Ginger Baker & Eric Clapton's performance. I used this disk to audition my new JBL nightlife sub ( on my kitchen HT, the 4th one in a 2 person household, all JBL ) LOL. Very nice Bluray indeed. Also on Bluray, The Eagles " Farewell 1 Concert " & Garry Moore's " Blues for Jimi ", which I also rate 5 Stars. Supertramp's " Live in Paris '79 " is surprisingly good considering the technology of the time. On the crappy mix front, Joe Satriani's " Satchurated " live in Montreal Bluray, the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mix I found to be unlistenable. Switched to 5.1 mix and found it so so. Recently I am buying Blurays as my source material, the DTS HD MA just blows me away. One can own countless LPs and CDs and never have time to play them all.

Thread Information