Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Multichannel recordings - recommendations?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Like I said in my post - I have bought a number of SACDs for between $10 and 15. Sure, there are some out of print/collectables that sell for more - so, I don't those!
    The RCA Living Stereo is well documented as 3 microphone recordings from the 50s - they do have some tape hiss but the music is excellent. Do a search to read the other thread on the Lansing list about RCA Living Stereo for more info on them ... they are famous.

SACD takes special players to decode - My two OPPO DVD players did it, my Harman Kardon did not, but it did HDCD, as do the two OPPO players. Of course the OPPOs do DVD/DVD-A and all of that medium.
    I noticed some SACD going for $95.00 ouch that is rarely steep!

I seem to recall reading in one history of film sound mixing multi microphone recoding techniques as general topic in Tom Holman article.

I doubt the two recent players I have Phillips BDP5000 or the Sony BDP-S550 would cater for SACD I didn’t see any SACD logo in the manual instructions? I doubt even firmware of SACD can be uploaded?

Still that Sony DVD player I saw for £40.00 I think it’s a model from early 2000’s as I remember seeing one around a friends sisters home, the logo that is, thou we were only playing DVD.

If I can remember I might buy it around late spring time. I doubt it will be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I doubt the two recent players I have Phillips BDP5000 or the Sony BDP-S550 would cater for SACD

I doubt even firmware of SACD can be uploaded?

There are hardware differences between a standard CD player, a DVD player, and an SACD player, most notably in the optics involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post

There are hardware differences between a standard CD player, a DVD player, and an SACD player, most notably in the optics involved.
    And, of course, the DRM requirements that you can't output the SACD in the digital form - its got to be analog. Of course, if its a dual mode disc you CAN output the standard CD stream in digital format - just not the SACD data. Thats a Sony requirement.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

And, of course, the DRM requirements that you can't output the SACD in the digital form - its got to be analog. Of course, if its a dual mode disc you CAN output the standard CD stream in digital format - just not the SACD data. Thats a Sony requirement.
    Yes, which frankly sucks because if you have better DAC's in an external component, you're still limited to using the internals on your SACD player. Definite point of contention on my part....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Yes, which frankly sucks because if you have better DAC's in an external component, you're still limited to using the internals on your SACD player. Definite point of contention on my part....
    Absolutely agreed - I hate this whole DRM stuff-
    and HDMI is the biggest pain I have run across - I'm sure the pirates have no problems getting around it, but us honest folks are hammered by its inconsistent behaviour!
    HDMI 1.3/1.4a/b/c and more ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

JBL 4645
    Absolutely agreed - I hate this whole DR stuff- HDMI is the biggest pain I have run across - I'm sure the pirates have no problems getting around it, but us honest folks are hammered by its inconsistent behaviour!
    HDMI 1.3/1.4a/b/c and more ...
    Thinking out load!

I honestly can’t see what the deal is with HDMI lead? It looks like glorified scaled down scart lead with only 19 pins. I’m sure the same thing can be down with scart leads only the inputs on AVR would soon be choc-a-block full of scart leads.

I hope I don’t run into the same issues that most others have had with these HDMI leads, in regarded to audio handshake between the player and the AVR. As you already know I don't have a new generation AVR that supports HDMI input yet.

I honestly can’t see what the deal is with HDMI lead? ...
    As you already know I don't have a new generation AVR that supports HDMI input yet.
    Well, if you don't have HDMI TV and an HDMI receiver and an HDMI video player trying too communicate with each other,
    you really have no hands-on with it - so, you can't comment knowledgeably about that technology and its problems ...

I mean theory is fine, as theory goes -
    but the issues of audio output being dropped when the HDMI handshake glitches -
    and video dropouts and all of the rest of that ... stuff ... what fun!

JBL 4645
    Well, if you don't have HDMI TV and an HDMI receiver and an HDMI video player trying too communicate with each other,
    you really have no hands-on with it - so, you can't comment knowledgeably about that technology and its problems ...

I mean theory is fine, as theory goes -
    but the issues of audio output being dropped when the HDMI handshake glitches -
    and video dropouts and all of the rest of that ... stuff ... what fun!
    Well there’s always the firmware to fall back on for updates when the units don’t talk to each other. I see myself buying a new AVR soon could be spring maybe autumn?

I’d never buy expensive HDMI cables. The one I got supplied with Phillips bluray player looks to be around £8.00.

What’s the deal with these CD players that have what looks like weight placed down on the disc? I saw a few under SACD listing on ebay. Is it to prevent the spindle motor from making high pitch noises?

Mozart: Piano Concert o No.21 in C Major KV 467

My favorite by
    Ronan O'Hara (piano)
    The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Jonathan Carney (Conductor)
    Digitally recorded in September 1994
    SACD multichannel hybrid
    ASIN: B0007SMGDY

Name:  no21.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  18.9 KB

Friedrich Gulda (piano)
    Wiener Philharmoniker
    Claudio Abado (conductor)
    (P) 1975
    SACD multichannel hybrid
    ASIN: B0007KIRZ8

Name:  no21.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  18.2 KB

In comparison to the upper one the piano has too much a mechanical tempus variation to express the tension within the Andante IMHO.

Sea Change

At our last meet, JBLAddict brought Beck's Sea Change disc for a spin. I believe it was the SACD.

It sounded spectacular. We actually sat and listened to music without the usual slack-jawed commentary for at least three, maybe four cuts. The high level of mixing and mastering was evident from the first bar.

I found the DVD-A of Sea Change for a bargain price and snapped it up. It includes some videos as well as the surround mixes. Very, very nice--one of the best discs.

It is a bit melancholy at times, since it's a "break up" disc ("you're dead to me..."), but it's magic in your surround system. If an album of this calibre couldn't make surround recordings commercially viable, then SACD and DVD-A didn't have much of a chance.

Highly recommended.
    Out.

Someone brought up this article in another thread. http://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134256...the-audiophile

I think it is a shame just when music started to get real hi-res, mp3, i pods and ear plugs took over the market.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Remastered Quadro Recording

Tchaikovsky
    Symphony No.6 in B minor, Op.74 (Pathetique)
    Nutcracker Suite, Op.71a

Orchestre de Paris
    conducted by Seiji Ozawa
    recorded 2/1974 (quadro)
    rereleased 2002
    by Pentatone
    on SACD multichannel hybrid

ASIN: 9051861079

The recording shows a remarkable realism underlined by the four channel mix (played back with ITU arrangement).
    ATT: There are no center and LFE-channels. The latter is missing on quite a few SACDs.

Name:  nutcracker.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  19.0 KB

Romantische Orgelmusik (Ambisonic UHJ surround sound)

Great romantic Organ Music
    John Scott Whiteley
    The Organ of York Minister

(Tournemire - Jongen - Mulet - Dupré - Strauss - Karg_Elert - Brahms - Liszt)

Surround sound encoded in Ambisonic UHJ which requires an Ambisonics decoder.
    With stereo playback there is an increased spaciousness.
    I played back with Dolby which gave an appealing result in surround sound.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambison...ion_techniques

Name:  RomanticOrgan.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  24.3 KB

ASIN: B0000058ZU

Queen

A Night At The Opera
    MLP lossless , 5.1 digital surround,
    DTS 5.1 and
    PCM stereo
    all with 96 KHz / 24 bit

ASIN: B00005RG6M

Name:  Opera.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  15.8 KB

Rock Montreal
    DTS 5.1 with 96 KHz / 24 bit
    PCM stereo with 48 kHz / 16 bit

ASIN: B000UDLA3I

Name:  Montreal.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  17.2 KB

Both discs have excellent audio quality.
    The Montreal video is superb.
    The live performance gives a great plus for the home experience.

AC/DC - STIFF UPPER LIP Live

Munich 2001
    in the Olympia stadium.

DTS 5.1 Surround
    Dolby 5.1 Surround
    Dolby 2.0 stereo

ASIN B00005RDSY

Name:  ACDC.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  15.3 KB

If you like AC/DC then you will enjoy a great live performance.
    67000 visitors - A huge screen might be advantagous.
    140 mins

Thread Information