Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multichannel recordings - recommendations?

Multichannel recordings - recommendations?

I have put my eyes on SACD but only a few are multichannel recordings. I have found it quite pleasing to listen to more than two channels. Some recordings are good, some are not so convincing.
    (In acoustics investigations are going on.)

- Very fine is Erich Kunzel with music by Tchaikowsy on Telarc. 1812 included, the cannon come inevitable from all different corners
    - The Moody Blues have some fine SACDs in multichannel.
    - Not to forget Pink Floyd with The Dark Side of the Moon.
    - The Beatles LOVE on DVD is produced very fine IMHO.
    - Interesting Benny Goodman Supreme Jazz (www.membran.net), Chicago 1909 - New York 1986. Carefully produced but only artifical room information is added.
    _________
    Peter

To me, multi channel recordings are a bit pointless because when you are listening to a concert you dont want to be sitting on tha stage with the musicians. Movies do though......

Multichannel reproduction offers the possibility to playback room information intended by the recording process in a much better way than two channel recordings can do, when done proberly - that's why the question for ... recommendations?
    I prefer the musicians in front of me too. And I do not mean what some video DVDs offer with their 'surround' - sound (formerly called ping-pong.).
    For example Bachs Chrismas Oratorio could profit from multichannel.

SACD multichannel

This is a most enjoyable recording:

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title...0668&mscssid=S

The Crystal Method Legion of Boom is a great addition to any multichannel sound collection as are the Porcupine Tree discs, though some are better than others and occasionally the mixes are uneven.

Monster Music's (yes, that Monster, as in Cable) DVD-A of Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company is surprisingly excellent in its execution.

Neil Young's Prairie Wind DVD-A is a great surround effort. It's like sitting in the studio.

Emmylou Harris' Producer''s Cut DVD-A is a real treat.
    Out.

I should add that the DVD-A version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is well worth seeking out. The official SACD is very good; I like the unofficial DVD-A better for its Alan Parsons engineered original Quadrophonic tracks.
    Out.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John) is very good to excellent as is Slow Hand (Eric Clapton). Derek and the Dominos (also EC) is a nice rendition of a classic recording.

I hope that you player is also capable of DVD-Audio. With so little software available for either format, one needs to cover all of the bases.

IMO, I think that SACD is the better format. Not because of the sound, but because of the way DVD-Audio does tracking. I HATE the fact that it puts extra space between tracks while it does its thing (and I can physically hear the player mechanism during this silence). SACD does not do this.

I bought a car with a DVD-A player last year so I've started to hunt down some titles. Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" is clearly the audio champ of the bunch, but it's not his best work musically. Steely Dan's "Gaucho" is very, very good and it works well as a surround mix. My favorite sleeper disc is "Toy Matinee" - some really amazing studio work there and the mix is fantastic.

I'm trying to find a good copy of Dark Side that doesn't cost a fortune...just have to keep looking I guess...

jbldude

Talking Return to quadraphonic

Bought first quad system in '72 a 15 watt/ch Sansui qr1500,Pioneer quad 8track player and 4 small good speakers. Placed it in my loft and listened to Q8's of Floyd ds,Santana vanseri,Hot Tuna ,Jeff Beck,Steve Miller etc,etc,etc.A lot of years and systems have come and gone but the sound was fascinating enough to sink my heart into more upscale quadraphonic equipment that allows one to twist, tinker and record.Today my quad system includes 2 Akai 1730Dss quad RtR's,Sansui's QRX6500,QRX6001,QR1500,Akai mtx 55 4ch. amp. and always looking for more quad RtR tapes to lite up my Met and 4313's.

Gary L
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Multichannel reproduction offers the possibility to playback room information intended by the recording process in a much better way than two channel recordings can do, when done proberly - that's why the question for ... recommendations?
    I prefer the musicians in front of me too. And I do not mean what some video DVDs offer with their 'surround' - sound (formerly called ping-pong.).
    For example Bachs Chrismas Oratorio could profit from multichannel.

I have just one Mobile Fidelity SACD, Patricia Barber-"Cafe Blue" and it plays on all of my CDPs. When I use the player that is SACD capeable there is a great deal more content easily heard from this recording.
    I have played it side by side in both a regular CDP and then on the SACD player, smae exact system, and the difference is night and day.

PF Dark Side of the Moon is a favorite here and I do wonder if the SACD version would be worth finding?

Gary

Hi Gary,

" How do I tell if the SACD disc is Multi Ch?"

my Pioneer has an options menu where I can choose
    <Multichannel - 2 channel - CD>
    Unfortunately you do not always know before whether the disk is produced in multichannel or not. so some SACDs will only reproduce two channels in which mode ever.

"I do wonder if the SACD version would be worth finding?"

As I had an often used LP before it was worthwhile.
    It might be worth to look for the DVD-A version as TD has pointed out (post 6). Here over the pond it seems to be impossible to get it.

My current favorites in classical music:

1. ROYAL CONCERTGEBOUW ORCHESTRA

Stravinsky:
    > L'Oiseau De Feu / Firebird
    > Le Sacre Du Printemps / The Rite of Spring

Chief Conductor Mariss Jansons
    Recorded 2006/07
    Label: www.rcolive.com

2. THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
    Peter I. Tchaikovski
    > Symphony No.6 in B Minor, OP.74 "Pathétique"
    > Marche Slave, OP.31

Conductor Yehudi Menuhin
    Recorded 1994
    Label: www.membran.net

Both SACDs reproduce a musicaly delight by conductor and musicians. (imho)
    The technical performance is outstanding.
    The multichannel reproduction is an absolute advantage.

All ordered by www.Amazon.de or http://www.jpc.de/; no affil

PS: I am still learning.
    Gary, addtional I had to switch the receiver to analog inputs as SACDs do not use the digital connection - all a bit baffling.

I heard that the digital out is disabled to keep you from making digital copies, "perfect copies" which are not subject to the generational loss of taped analogue copying.

On my multimode OPPO disc player, I use
    analogue out to the stereo CD ins of my receiver,
    Direct 6 out to the Direct 6 ins for SACD and such, and
    optical out to optical in for DVDs (receiver does Dolby and DTS).

Lots of wiring back there!

Thanks for the musical suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    My current favorites in classical music:

All ordered by Amazon, no affil

PS: I am still learning.
    Gary, addtional I had to switch the receiver to analog inputs as SACDs do not use the digital connection - all a bit baffling.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

3 recent MC DVDA/SACD's of note:

Bonnie Raitt, "Nick of Time"; One of the better uses of 5:1 for effect that I've heard. It brings the band out into the room nicely and the SQ is VERY good. Occasional FX in the surrounds are nicely done, not over-bearing.

Miles Davis, "Kind Of Blue"; You're hardly aware that it's 5.1 until you switch to 2-ch. Again, it brings the band out into the room, surrounds are only used for "presence" information and are not noticeable. Very good SQ on this one too.

George Harrison: Live in Japan; Japanese import. Very good live SQ and use of surrounds, but lacking in any real bass or LFE. Front weighted, surrounds used very little.

If you like guitar

Then this is one DVD-A you should own.

http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/laurence_juber.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Thread Information