Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DBX Driverack

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    if you use BSS (Broken Sound Systems, Better Stock Spares..)Soundwebs...be prepared to replace the power supplies in 2 years, they will fail...it's not the fan, it's the power supply.
    True, I was just in with a repairer and saw several BBS units on the repair racks. They either had broken power supplys or dud screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    The rebadged units ONLY have presets for the particular manufactures speakers systems with NO acessability to other control features.

A "one trick" pony!

Oldmics
    Hi Oldmics, That's incorrect.
    You have full access to all the units normal functionality.
    The only difference from the stock XTA units are the first (in my Tannoy TDX2/XTA 226 case)16 memory slots are pre programmed leaving 24 free and the rebadged units lack the convenience of a pc card memory slot-you'd have to use a rs cable. These units have a thoroughly well deserved reputation for excellent sound quality IMO.
    Cooky

Here's mine currently running 3 way on tri amped Westlake clones.See also the pic of the 226 in its latest incarnation(a couple of extra mute switches have been added to the input gain section)http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1207958772
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have a DriveRack PA in my system, bought for the crossover flexibility and do not like the sound quality.

I have the replacement options down to a DBX 4800, or a BSS Soundweb London Blu-160, leaning toward the BSS. I didn't know they had problems with them.

Well I thought I had made up my mind. Does it ever end?!?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    I have 3 Dbx driverack pa in my Ht.

mats

Very impressive it would seem that loudspeaker management crossover systems are making quite an impression in the home as well as in the cinema.

Small price and big sounds, is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Hi Oldmics, That's incorrect.
    You have full access to all the units normal functionality.
    The only difference from the stock XTA units are the first (in my Tannoy TDX2/XTA 226 case)16 memory slots are pre programmed leaving 24 free and the rebadged units lack the convenience of a pc card memory slot-you'd have to use a rs cable. These units have a thoroughly well deserved reputation for excellent sound quality IMO.
    Cooky
    Cooky...you missed out the best part. How much did you pay for your rebadged XTA...

Also, how do you find the fan noise level from the MC2's. They really do look like cracking units. I'm tempted to get rid of my Bryston 4B SST and buy a 4 channel MC2 to bi-amp the 250Ti's...have you ever had similar thought's?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Cooky...you missed out the best part. How much did you pay for your rebadged XTA...

Also, how do you find the fan noise level from the MC2's. They really do look like cracking units. I'm tempted to get rid of my Bryston 4B SST and buy a 4 channel MC2 to bi-amp the 250Ti's...have you ever had similar thought's?
    Andy,
    Ahem;I got mine for £261
    On the subject of MC2 fan noise it does intrude when it cycles in the quiet of early hours but I don't usually notice at average level listening.
    Mind you, cable is cheap so they could be moved to a cupboard/room if need be. I had considered one of their 4 channel jobs too but I'm already loaded up with separates.
    GDS have a load of MC2's for sale at the mo';I'm after an MC650. They do sound as good as the Brystons if a tad darker but IMO have better bass.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ksid=p3907.m29

With the DBX Drive Rack be careful of your power up and power down sequence. The Drive Rack puts out a nasty crack, more so on powering off. If DSP's and DBX are your thing the 260 model is far better for not that much more money.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    With the DBX Drive Rack be careful of your power up and power down sequence. The Drive Rack puts out a nasty crack, more so on powering off. If DSP's and DBX are your thing the 260 model is far better for not that much more money.

Mike Caldwell
    This is your captain speaking on the issues of. Powering up and powering down, of your dbx crossover, check list procedure.

First power up dbx crossover!
    Secondly power up amplifier

Turning off dbx and amplifier

Firstly turn the off power amplifier
    Lastly turn off the dbx crossover

Bingo! Power up from low level to high -

Receiver - crossover- HF amp - LF amp

Power down in reverse!
    LF Amp - HF Amp - crossover - receiver.

Good to see ya 'round, Ashley!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Power up and powering down procedure check list

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Bingo! Power up from low level to high -

Receiver - crossover- HF amp - LF amp

Power down in reverse!
    LF Amp - HF Amp - crossover - receiver.

Good to see ya 'round, Ashley!
    Thanks Heather.

Or you can instruct the dbx to be in mute mode when powering up, I’d hath to refer to the owners manual to see if this procedure, works when powering down, but if it doesn’t, then just mute the inputs manually.

But it’s simple to follow the above that’s what I do every time when powering up the DCX2496 and amplifiers.

The [spike sound or thumping noise] doesn’t this have something to do with the [capacitor]?

There are no muting options on the Drive Rack. Any system with external components should be power up and down in that order. Everything from my small home system to my large production system, same way just more components involved.

Mike Caldwell

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    There are no muting options on the Drive Rack. Any system with external components should be power up and down in that order. Everything from my small home system to my large production system, same way just more components involved.

Mike Caldwell
    Well that settles it then.

Wow there’s some cool prices on the dbx driverack PA under Google product search UK
    http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=dbx+driverack+pa&btnG=Search+Products&h l=en

It’s almost reachable a few mare £300.00 pounds.

I just twigged on! This is two channel input with six possible outputs, as I’ve counted along the facial front of the dvx driverack PA.

If you want one button power convenience there are power sequencers available. the power switches on the components are left on and each component is plugged into a switched outlet on the sequencer unit. Furman has a few to chose from.

Mike Caldwell

Rebadged Units

Cooky 1257 is correct.

My earliest experiences with XTA was on Turbo and then with E.A.W processers.

These early units were rebadged XTA "one trick ponys".

At the L"Acoustics factory during V Dosc training I again ran across another batch of rebadged XTA which I just found out (spoke to the factory rep tile) were prototype "one trick ponys" for a bunch of their products.

I made the assumption that all of XTAs rebadged stuff was "one trick".

The rep didnt even know about the Tannoy XTA gear.

Guess you cant know all of the stuff out there.

I do thank Cooky 1257 for enlightning me.

Oldmics

Thread Information