Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DBX Driverack

DBX Driverack

Have any of you folks tried a DBX Drive Rack on your systems ?

Not in anything I own, but do run into them frequently in clubs we work. They are pretty good - great value.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    I've got the Driverack DR260 and use it all the time for all kinds of different situations. It's a definite step up from the DRPA version, and well worth it. The DR260 has much more functionality than the DRPA, and can also be run from a computer interface, which the DRPA can't.

I've used it from consumer -10dB levels to pro +4dB connections, with never a single problem.

For the money, I think they're great.

John

Small price, big sounds

Stéphane
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not My Favorite

I think the converter interpetation leaves a lot to be desired when compared to some of the other units availiable.

Oldmics

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post
    I think the converter interpetation leaves a lot to be desired when compared to some of the other units availiable.
    Yeah, but not all of us are able to travel in the same circles you do... I'd love to have better equipment, but IMHO, the DBX stuff is better than nothing, especially faced with the budget I get to deal with. I guarantee the systems I've used it in sound better than without it! Could I say the same about Behringer? I guess it depends on whether the anomolies you're trying to correct are worse than any introduced by the DSP. In may cases, I would guess "yes"...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    ...the anomolies you're trying to correct are worse than any introduced by the DSP.
    In some cases, maybe.

Oldmics' point is, that as powerful as this technology is, lower costs translates to audible degredation - you can hear and measure it. Upgrade when and if you can - you will be living in tall cotton...

Tall Cotton

Now thats a funny saying.

johnaec,I hope that I"m not coming off as a snob,please!!!-I want to be far from that attitude.

I am just offering my audio opinions based on my experiences with a large amount of equipment in all price ranges.

If someone is going to go for a DSP in a budget situation,I would reccomend the BSS.

I also just heard the DynaCord and really liked the sound of it but don"t know the price on them.

And ALL of my listening with these devices is on large scale sound systems.They would obviously react differently to a "hi fi" use.

Oldmics

XTA's are worth a look but the actual badged XTA units cost a lot.

The trick is to look out for "rebadged" XTA units that are sold under pro speaker brands such as Turbosound, Martin Audio, Funktion One, etc (they are the UK brands though). As I understand it, they only differ from the genuine XTA's in looks and they have the manufacturer's own speaker pre-sets.

I got that hint off a fellow member so can't take the credit!!!

Rebadged XTA Processers

The rebadged units ONLY have presets for the particular manufactures speakers systems with NO acessability to other control features.

A "one trick" pony!

Oldmics

The rebadged units ONLY have presets for the particular manufactures speakers systems with NO acessability to other control features.
    Are you sure? If so....Sneaky devils...

I know from experience that the Turbosound units have continously variable crossover frequencies in 1/36 octave steps and the same for para EQ, etc.

I have 3 Dbx driverack pa in my Ht.

mats
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

RIP 2009
    If someone is going to go for a DSP in a budget situation,I would reccomend the BSS.
    If I recall, aren't the JBL units rebadged BSS? What do you think of the JBL DSC260/A? Old as it is, it appears to still be a current product.

John

If you want the best, I don't think you can top the Dolby/Lake processors. The XTA's would be next in line....if you use BSS (Broken Sound Systems, Better Stock Spares..)Soundwebs...be prepared to replace the power supplies in 2 years, they will fail...it's not the fan, it's the power supply. 87 replaced in the last 6 months, installed between 2 and 2 1/2 years ago..the 'London" version has its own problems..the screen goes blue after a couple of years. We had to hire a person just to keep up with the failures. The DBX just sounds wrong...what comes out doesn't sound like what goes in...listen to your favorite disc on your favorite system..then just put the Driverack inline anywhere, and see if you don't agree. Or, maybe having your system sound like it is going through a crappy compressor is what you're looking for....Tim

B.S.S

B-Bring
    S-Sumore
    S-Stuff

Oldmics

johnaec

I was not aware of a 260/A.
    The original 260s,well lets just say I never bought any!

I do have a bunch of original 280s still.All of the lenses on the display have fallen by the wayside.Truck rash I think
    Last edited by Oldmics; 04-10-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: General stupidity!

Thread Information