Thread: Porting JBL 2123H

Porting JBL 2123H

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but this question is for a car. I am not a guy that listens to music really loud, that is not my point at all, just trying to get clean dynamic sound in a lousy environment. If it makes anyone fell more comfortable, I am 51 years old.

I need a JBL 2123 to cover from 90 to 1000 Hz. Using winISD it looks like a .6 cu/ft box tuned to 90 or 95 Hz can get me there. I will be using
    an electronic crossover at 90 Hz/18 db. The crossover is determined by a chip and can't be changed. I have a 5 band parametric equalizer for smoothing things out but this is in a car and everything is a huge compromise. My concern is with the crossover at 90 Hz and tuning at 90/95, I may not be protecting the speaker sufficiently.

Also, what would be the correct wattage to get the full performance from the speaker?

One last question. The JBL specs state that xmax is 2.5mm (0.1 in), but they also have another spec, ‘Maximum Excursion before damage 19mm (3/4” in. peak-to-peak). Can I interpret this to mean that hurting this speaker from overdriving it would be extremely difficult?

Thanks for your time.

Well since your here now I will repost. The best JBL 10 for that application would be a 2122H. Since you already have the 2123's you can get them to work ported in about .5cubic ft. As far as Xmax vs Mechanical damage limits well one is gap and coil the other is suspension limits. If you limit your input power to around 100 watts you won't exceed JBL's Xmax limits for the driver.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thanks.

Thread Information