Thread: Things you find at the dumpster...

Things you find at the dumpster...

Name:  IMG_0700.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  184.9 KBName:  IMG_0701.JPG
Views: 1040
Size:  169.6 KBI can't believe they're throwing these out without the grills...

WOW!

Nice find indeed.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

No grilles!? Hardly worth the effort
    (nice save)

Outstanding!! I seem to be living in the wrong state!

Early 4333s I take it ...?

(based on the overhang top and bottom like my old 4320s)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hard to say....there were a few iterations of this set up. The 4502 enclosure came with cutouts for a woofer,horn,tweeter and 2 crossovers...the 4320 had LE-15 woofers and no tweeter, the 4331 had a different woofer and no tweeter, the 4333's had the second crossover and tweeter added, but later model 4333's had the tweeter at the top, while others had the tweeter on the side and a bespoke crossover...if anybody out there's listening, I'd trade them for a TAD 4001 diaphragm in good working condition..!

I guess these weren't too heavy to throw IN the dumpster...they look to be 4320's that got the slots added later.Name:  IMG_2831.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  82.1 KB
    Let the sweep testing begin!!

Amazing!

Excellent save!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Everyone passed the sweep tests except for one LE15b..I soaked the spider off with lacquer thinner and ditched the surround..whatever JBL expert reconed this one left some debris in the gap, and let some dustcap glue run down the inside of the coil. It was a while ago as the surrounds are almost gooey. No wax seals on the 2420’s so I will replace the foam on the inside of them as well.
    Inside the LE15...when I first move the cone of this woofer, I thought it had a loose mass control ring because it was making a chattering sound when it moved in and out. Turns out that this drip of glue was so thick it forced the coil over and rubbed against the pole piece. There is also a loose "tail" of insulating tape not glued down on the coil. No mass control ring in these...a Q-tip and a couple drops of lacquer thinner and its all better.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Well, have you decided to keep them or let them go?

Widget

Well....the 2215's had rattling voice coils.....I reconed them with SimplySpeaker parts..unfortunately they are now 8 ohms not 16 like the crossover really wants. The horns,drivers, slots and crossovers are all in nice condition...the cabinets are actually in fairly nice shape...no big cracks or separations ...just a couple banged in corners. The grills, obviously are the worst....good enough for templates, one is a copy someone built at some point, the cloth is pretty bad, the nameplates are fairly nice.
    I really don't have a need or desire or place to put another pair of large format speakers, so that being said I would like to move them down the road...depending on how much restoration I do to them, or someone PM's me with an offer I can't refuse, I'll need to conjure up a price. Perhaps others can chime in and let me know if they would be more valuable as is, or "one upped" with walnut veneer, black fronts and backs, and fresh grills. I restored a pair almost identical to these a couple years ago...( see my past "dumpster save" thread)..and got $1800.00 for them...or, as I said before, I would be willing to trade everything just as it sits for a new TAD 4001 diaphragm...list price approx. $1200.00.
    I'm open to any offers....

The old utility grey finish on these cabinets has seen its last days. I'm rebuilding the dinged corners, making sure there are no loose glue joints or delaminations...filled and redrilled the tweeter mounting holes for the standard 4 hole pattern. I built new grill frames using the pieces of the old one for a pattern, no more particle board! Tune in soon to see how they look covered with teak veneer, and JBL blue grill cloth...
    [attach]81361
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information