Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL wooden speaker stands - dimensions?

I see from the foam trends site it is Walnut....

Still looking for thickness of the wood.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Still looking for thickness of the wood.
    Thanks

Deductive reasoning from the pics above, suggests that the thickness of the wood should equal the width of the notches.
    - ( ie; 3/4" in this instance ) .

<>

Walnut

JBL L100 Wood Stands

I did a rough mock up using pine from a spare wooden shelf just to do a proof of concept (attached photo). It turned out so so and I am still playing with some techniques before attempting to make the final my stands in Oak. Couldn't get Walnut at Home Depot and I didn't want to go searching far and wide. Plan is to fabricate from Oak pieces I bought for $30 and then use a Walnut Stain - I will use a craft wood burner to replicate the JBL logo on the front. Will post images when complete and only if it turns out half decent.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

L100A Wood Stand Project

Well, I did spend a few hours today (Flex day off) making the stands and must say I am really happy at how they turned out. Here is where I departed from the original design:
    1. I used Oak instead of Walnut (used a Walnut stain though)
    2. I did not round off the the wood cross-brace ends (wife likes them squared off and besides I don't really have a tool to properly round them off just yet)
    3. Made the back support slightly higher
    4. Cross members are not quite flush (may have to cut a little bit deeper notches to get them even - if the speakers sit on them sturdy I probably won't bother
    4. Made the JBL Label slightly bigger using a craft wood burning iron
    5. I did not router the tops of the front and back wood pieces (may yet do that but is not really visible when speakers are on the stand anyway.
    Attached are some photos at different stages. Stain is drying right now and I plan on putting a coat of varnish overtop to protect. Once fully complete I will post more photos....

L100A Wood Stand Project

Here they are - rock solid and fit perfectly. First 2 photos are with the pine (unfinished) mock-ups under speakers and the new stands beside. Now I can't wait until my Ultra Blue Quadrex Grill Inserts Arrive...

With New Quadrex

I'm diggin it - wifey ain't - Doh!
    JBL L100A (Late Model), Pioneer SA-8500II (as Pre-Amp), Carver M-200t, Pioneer TX-6500II, IPOD 80GB Classic

Thanks for the pics - great post.

I'm too thinking of a stand design to build for a pair of 4312A / large bookshelf’s.
    I'm a big fan of the pair in this thread. Classic vintage JBL.
    How would you compare your DYI results versus buying manufactured re-productions for $115?
    The biggest challenge of this project is the “JBL” logo.
    Super, super hard to do replicate. And for me, it’s the most important design element of the stands, just ahead of the interlocking assembly.
    I figure 10’ hardwood and stain costs $40, for $75 more you could have bought re-productions.
    If you had it to-do all over again, would you?
    SB

Lightbulb Speaker Stands

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely, in a heartbeat!
    I actually am looking at a set of 4311B speakers that are for sale locally - If I do get them I would make a matching set of stands without question.
    For me it was all about the challenge of crafting the stands as a personal (self improvement) challenge. I am by no means a skilled wood-worker and was thinking that $115 plus shipping and taxes/duty (as I am in Canada) was a bit steep for a few simple slabs of wood. As a result I did a mock-up pair using an old pine shelf I had sculling about the garage to cut up before investing in a decent slab of Oak. I pretty much botched the pine pair (they were very wobbly as I tried making the notch cuts with a jig saw - not a good idea) but I learned enough from that experience to go ahead with the hard wood. It turned out pretty good I think and I do get bragging rights when friends come over and ask where I got them. I did all the cuts for the final attempt with a small construction site Dewalt table saw and believe it or not the JBL Logo was (I think) the easiest part of the project - and I ain't no artist. I think my stands are as good if not better than the originals since I do like the larger emblem than on the originals. I printed out the JBL label from Google Images on a piece of paper and then carefully cut the outside border of the image and traced the outline on the front of the wood once it was centred. I then cut out the individual letters and exclamation point and traced them inside the border. Finally I pulled out a craft wood burning iron (about $7 at any craft store) and did what I was trained to do in kindergarten - I coloured it in in burnt black. That was real easy, seriously...
    More photos at:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1014664...urrent_Stereo#
    Happy to give you some tips I learned if you are interested in making a set yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gsb001 View Post
    I'm too thinking of a stand design to build for a pair of 4312A / large bookshelf’s.
    I'm a big fan of the pair in this thread. Classic vintage JBL.
    How would you compare your DYI results versus buying manufactured re-productions for $115?
    The biggest challenge of this project is the “JBL” logo.
    Super, super hard to do replicate. And for me, it’s the most important design element of the stands, just ahead of the interlocking assembly.
    I figure 10’ hardwood and stain costs $40, for $75 more you could have bought re-productions.
    If you had it to-do all over again, would you?
    SB
    JBL L100A (Late Model), Pioneer SA-8500II (as Pre-Amp), Carver M-200t, Pioneer TX-6500II, IPOD 80GB Classic

Nice Follow Up

Great post and follow up info.
    Much appriciated.
    SB

I appreciate the posts and agree 100% as to why you would want to do it yourself! Thanks for the posts!!

Cool thread, I've been watching it. I came into a pair of 4311b's and I'm in the process of building some stands myself. Although my speakers show signs of having been wall mounted in their past, I'm going to build some stands for them. That's quite a challenge with the woofers at the top of the speaker! have to elevate them quite a bit for the mid and tweeters to be at ear level. I''ve designed a pair of stands to do that and I plan on weighting down the stands at the bottom to keep it stable.

I'll post pics here when they get done. I'm doing it all on a vintage Craftsman table saw that I got from a friend who is a shop teacher...it's all fun!

Cheers,

Bernie

Love the foam grill covers color!

What? You're wife isn't fond of neon blue grills that don't match any furniture made by man or woman or beast?

My long-suffering wife has endured the flaming orange cloth grills on my L-36s since 1978. She has vowed a few times that they might have an "accident" though. Probably will involve lighter fluid. Nothing screams '70s like them.

Well, maybe the vomit-avocado green appliances of the late '60s that somehow survived into the '70s.

BTW, nice work on the stands.

Thumbs up Love the foam grill covers color!

Yeah, who new she wouldn't jump up and down over these cool retro grills?
    Heh, heh, heh, I spent my time in the dog house for that one. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twivg7GkYts (Hilarious)
    So I have relented and my teenage son now has the coolest room speakers in his entire high school (I think). To imagine that they are now mostly just XBOX 360 noise bombs just grates on my soul. Soooo, I went on a search and have settled on a set of re-badged Bart Locanthi "venerable" icons named HPM-100 (100/200 watt versions). I dare not say the company name here for fear of being ostracised for life but also feel they really do belong in this forum since they are in fact JBLs with a different name plate IMHO. see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_HPM-100
    They were also the very first speakers I ever bought brand new as a teenager in Europe back in 1978 (50/100 watt version) when I was a military dependant. Thank god for summer jobs and no TV over there which got me into audio big time. So here they are next to my L100A treasures but with my daughter's music tatste (before they were relegated to the sons room): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0P1kdq2i-s
    With different music see here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMiMa0GDZYU

So back to the thread topic - you have to know I'm going to build stands for these puppies! - the ones that came with them are just OK. I will likely be building an up-scaled set just like the JBL ones but, yeeesh, a different logo. Simple reason I got these over the 4311B was the fact I got them for a price I couldn't refuse and the 4311B person was too slow getting back to me on a reasonable offer - You snooze, you lose! I am just as happy since I have L100's anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Wornears View Post
    What? You're wife isn't fond of neon blue grills that don't match any furniture made by man or woman or beast?

My long-suffering wife has endured the flaming orange cloth grills on my L-36s since 1978. She has vowed a few times that they might have an "accident" though. Probably will involve lighter fluid. Nothing screams '70s like them.

Well, maybe the vomit-avocado green appliances of the late '60s that somehow survived into the '70s.

BTW, nice work on the stands.

Speaker stands of the "lincoln log" type

Wooden Speaker stands of the "lincoln log" type are easy to make at home especially if you have a tablesaw and a little experience finishing things. Spray them outside in the fresh air with a single coat of lacquer and then wax them and buff with steel wool. Makes a fine feel and can be done very quickly. The whole experience can be completed in a couple of hours.
    I believe the stands in the photo are walnut.

Thread Information