Thread: 4430 horn output problem.

4430 horn output problem.

Newbie having a problem and wondering where to look. My left speaker has lost mid and hi-frequency output to the point where I have both L-pads on the left speaker set to 0 and to keep the right speaker at the same output level they are cranked down to -7. Does this sound like a crossover or L-pad problem?I'm guessing maybe X-over as doubtful both L-pads would go at the same time? Any suggestions. I am really nervous about pulling everything apart for fear of making things worse,but I also don't want to haul a pair of 4430,s off to the JBL repair shop either.( I did reverse channels on the pre-amp and the problem stayed with the speaker ) Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

My experience with my 4430s was that when I got them one of the woofers was dead. I replaced it with a known working woofer and it was still dead.

I removed the woofer and pulled the screws holding the crossover. I also had to release the rear nut. What I found was that the speaker wires are soldered to "lugs" that slip over "posts" and one for the woofer had pulled off. I put it back on the post and all was fine.

But, these lugs/posts represent a point of possible corrosion and that may be where your problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    My experience with my 4430s was that when I got them one of the woofers was dead. I replaced it with a known working woofer and it was still dead.

I removed the woofer and pulled the screws holding the crossover. I also had to release the rear nut. What I found was that the speaker wires are soldered to "lugs" that slip over "posts" and one for the woofer had pulled off. I put it back on the post and all was fine.

But, these lugs/posts represent a point of possible corrosion and that may be where your problem lies.
    Thanks. I'll get in there and have a look

Check yor PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by JSF13 View Post
    ( I did reverse channels on the pre-amp and the problem stayed with the speaker )
    Shouldn't you reverse the speaker wires on the amp rather than the interconnects on the preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Shouldn't you reverse the speaker wires on the amp rather than the interconnects on the preamp?
    I'll try that too. Didn't think the amp would cause that type of problem but you never know.

"It's alive, It's alive"

My local JBL repair shop suggested before I do anything else I swap the HF drivers to see if the problem moved with the driver or stayed with the cabinet.Long story short, after the swap they both worked fine and continued to do so after I swapped them back.

So whatever the problem was, it got corrected when I disconnected and re-connected the speaker terminals.Needless to say I am one happy camper. I didn't relish the thought of having to pull everything apart.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Joe

As toddalin suggested below: corrosion; or as I would put it oxidation of metal surfaces at the terminal contact points. Often, you cannot even see this with the naked eye. General rule of thumb: clean all connections at least once a year. The clarity of the sound will improve and the high end will lose that "fuzzy" sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    As toddalin suggested below: corrosion; or as I would put it oxidation of metal surfaces at the terminal contact points. Often, you cannot even see this with the naked eye. General rule of thumb: clean all connections at least once a year. The clarity of the sound will improve and the high end will lose that "fuzzy" sound quality.

Yes, thanks. I'll make sure I do that from now on.

But I have to ask. Is it normal for corrosion or oxidation to cause such a sudden change in performance? Wouldn't it be a more gradual process of degradation?

Thread Information