Thread: Shagadelic Plus

Cool Shagadelic Plus

Would look right at home in an Austin Powers movie ..made 68-73

L-88 Novas ...sound pretty good , cabs about 97 percenters. Already replaced the binding posts (with originals)..

One LE20 dome is pushed in....I also have a dead LE20 with a perfect dome .. could the dome be transplanted ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Would look right at home in an Austin Powers movie ..made 68-73

L-88 Novas ready for the expander (that will never come) ...sound pretty good , cabs about 97 percenters. Already replaced the binding posts (with originals)..

One LE25 dome is pushed in....I also have a dead LE25 with a perfect dome .. could the dome be transplanted ??
    Nice lookin' grills! Enjoy!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Always liked those grills. The tweeters are Le-20's like in the 4310 and original L100. Those speakers are before they had the M12 expander kits for the L88's.

Rob

Cute! Now you need an appropriate chair in front of them..

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio View Post
    Cute! Now you need an appropriate chair in front of them..
    Hey! We got one of those that the wife would love to get rid of.

Howdy Sea Wolf,

You could try the tape or the suction tricks to try and get the dome out. Doing a successful transplant would be tricky.

I've used the narrow cardboard tube in the centre of a roll of celophane wrap as a suction devise to return a dome back to being an outtie instead an innie, lol.

Lar

Quote Originally Posted by diamondsouled View Post
    Howdy Sea Wolf,
    You could try the tape or the suction tricks to try and get the dome out. Doing a successful transplant would be tricky.
    I've used the narrow cardboard tube in the centre of a roll of celophane wrap as a suction devise to return a dome back to being an outtie instead an innie, lol.
    Lar
    Thanx ...think I'll practice on the dead one from the L-25 first.

Was surfing around to find what I cud about these...

do you know there is fish food called " JBL: Nova Flower Maxi " for adult Flower Horn fish ??

and there is a greyhound puppy named "JBL's Nova (male)" ??

but the best info came from here..of course !!
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/hi...;s/details.htm

The origin of the L88 Nova requires some historical background. When the project assignment was given to the Wolf office, the simple two-way system immediately suggested that the external design might be made to more clearly express the internal functional elements. The idea of a round grille echoing the form of the low-frequency transducer had seldom been tried before, and when it was, public acceptance did not follow. Two notable examples of this Bauhaus-based approach were an equipment cabinet for Herman Miller (manufactured from 1949 to 1954) by George Nelson and, in 1956, a stunning bass-reflex enclosure for Stephens Tru-Sonic designed by Charles Eames. Neither one was very successful.

Given this history, it took a good deal of persuasion to convince JBL management that the time might finally have arrived for another highly contemporary effort. While acceding, the company hedged its bet by simultaneously offering the L88-1 Cortina, which was the same system with an all-cloth grille. The systems proved quite popular, with the Nova doing at least as well as its plain Jane cousin, until they were eclipsed by the introduction of the L100 Century.

The highly unusual treatment of the L88 was the work of Robert Onodera of the Wolf office. The grille's space division between a natural walnut square enclosing a roundel of fabric and an adjacent rectangular grille area in front of the high frequency driver was conceived to be a two-dimensional graphic statement. To achieve this feeling, it was necessary to extend the sides of the grille out to each of the edges of the enclosure, with as little separation between the grille face and the sides of the box as possible. This proved to be quite tricky. The solution was to bevel the edges of the structural grille inward at 45 degrees so that it would nest into a reciprocal 45 degree angle machined into the surrounding edges of the enclosure. The round grille cloth insert was kept in the same plane as the walnut face by using a circular sub-frame derived from the 17th century technology of an embroidery hoop.

but the picture in the lib shows them in a little different orientation...and the grill hoops dont appear to be flush like mine

history

To achieve this feeling, it was necessary to extend the sides of the grille out to each of the edges of the enclosure, with as little separation between the grille face and the sides of the box as possible.
    this is no "BS" ....the grills fit so snug that you just about need a knife blade to barely slip in between, just to get the grills off. They are beveled at a 45 and the cabs too...so they fit like a glove !!!!

these guys were $198 in 1973 so ....$923.59 in the year 2007 has the same "purchase power" as $198 in the year 1973.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/

I must be a sucker for 2 ways.... really. maybe a hearing defect ?

The 2 way L-26 sounded better to me than a 3 way L-36, now

the 2 way L-88 sounds better than the same drivers in the 3 way L-100 ??

(and of course my 1 ways sounds betterest !! ) .... gonna start looking for a "no way"
    (besides the one I get from the OL)

anyone else ? could it be networks ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

clmrt
    Two-ways like the Advent have always sounded best to me. My L5's were good and dynamic and could handle power and get loud and....

But just plain listening to music, without being overly critical, a nice 2-way works for me.

Of course, hypocrite that I am, I'm listening to 3-ways right now.

The implementation of the LE-5 in the 36 / 100 wasn't perfect anyway.

88's

The round grille area on one of mine needs to streched. It has a metal ring that fits into a coved slot. I was thinking of putting glue on the metal ring wrapping the cloth around it and sliding it into place. Anybody know if that's the correct way to tighten the cloth?
    K2S5800,Proj Array1000,880,1500,SynthesisTWO,250Ti,240Ti,120Ti& 18Ti,S38,Libra,Ti2K,Dorian,L36,88,99,100,300,Jubal ,Apollo,4425

I agree the older two way bookshelf systems were usually better balanced than the early 3 way bookshelf systems. Some of it had to do with the fact that there is less chance of screwing things up when designing a two way. I tend to think that the two ways were voiced to be a little less forward as well. That said I was surprised recently when listening to pair of the earliest version L100's that had a higher low to mid crossover frequency. When adjusted properly they were much smoother than the later L100's with the lower crossover frequency. In fact aside from their ill defined bass and rolled off highs (which I can live with) I was pretty impressed with them.

Your L88's look really nice. You're not looking to sell them by any chance are you?

Regards,
    Mike

I must be a sucker for 2 ways.... really. maybe a hearing defect ?

The 2 way L-26 sounded better to me than a 3 way L-36, now

the 2 way L-88 sounds better than the same drivers in the 3 way L-100 ??

(and of course my 1 ways sounds betterest !! ) .... gonna start looking for a "no way"
    (besides the one I get from the OL)

anyone else ? could it be networks ?

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    You're not looking to sell them by any chance are you?Regards,Mike
    Nope, they are now in daily use

Thread Information