Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urei JBL 813B

I had a pair of SCM35's for 6 months and they bored me to dead. They were driven by one of ATC's power amps...(SPA2-150 I think - massive thing that ran really hot).

ATC's can't do bass IMO. It's very accurate but no warmth to the sound and rock just sounded a bit "weird" on them.

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Dave,

I didn't ......... Check out MC2 , Bryston, K2. Forget bridging, Just get mono blocks. Whats your budget.

And, watch that Mr Widget character , he has expensive tastes

Rich
    I'd second the MC2 recommendation-truly excellent sound with real muscle to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by David Ketley View Post
    OK so what power amps do you recommend.
    For surround use in a HT application I have used Hafler, Soundcraftsmen, Adcom, Parasound, Bryston, Integra, Integra Research, ATI, and probably a few other amps. Almost none were supreme 2 channel amps, but they all made the system sound significantly better than the current starved AV amp sections in the variety of AVRs I have auditioned. If you have the budget, I'd go with Bryston, Pass Labs, or perhaps Levinson or Halcro. Amps and speakers are actually interrelated and an amp that sounds spectacular on one speaker may not do it with another. I was at a buddy's house the other day and he was running a newish lower end Mac without output autoformers on a pair of Revels. The bass was just mush and the dynamics were constricted. We replaced it with a Bryston and the system came alive. On other systems I was less enthusiastic about the Brystons.

The problem is that older amps have issues it seems with capacitors slowly deteriorating...
    Very true!

Thanks for that Ian I was up till 2 in the morning I just sit and listened astounded, the clarity at the top end, its incredible and the base is tight as well. Maybe Ive hit on a good combination with the DAC, cables and the Onkyo 605.
    That's awesome.

The principle motivation behind my post was that other folks with other rooms, speakers etc. might not find the Onkyo quite as satisfying. Over the last year I have set up at least 2 dozen surround systems and Home Theaters and have not yet been impressed with any of the AVRs. I always prefer a proper processor with separate amps or an AVR with pre-outs running separate amps. If you are on a tight budget I always recommend getting an AVR with pre-outs so that at a later date you can always add front channel amps. I feel the surrounds and rears (if any) are fine being powered by the AVR.

Widget

Hi Im not running the Onkyo in AV mode just stereo.
    Thanks for the feedback Ill post some pictures.

Anyone else gone the computer direction as an input? I transfer CDs via EAC software it just seems to enhance the sound I'm hearing. Even MP3 so Ok I would love to compare my system with some high end stuff.
    Dave

where ?

David,

so where about on this shitty little island are you ?

Rich

hi John thanks for the concern no problems really just a set of circumstances coming together. Our Alsatian was 10 years old but had cancer so at the first sign that he was in real distress I had to have him put down. My wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and has had an operation to sort out her feet.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Rich see www.dungevalley.co.uk
    You need to get north not quite so shitty.
    Dave

Hi Guys catastrophe had a mains spike take out a high frequency unit whilst testing the old amps. Any help to get a replacement would be appreciated. I understand its usually just the High Frequency cone that goes?

Thread Information