Thread: Internet Radio Links

Internet Radio Links

I do not think we have a thread yet featuring links to our internet radio finds. As usual, I could be wrong, but let me offer this up as a start.

Windy City Blues. http://www.windycityblues.net/

It is a little operation, seemingly free of industry pressures and "experts." Refreshingly not slick. Their format is not strictly streaming. Click "Blues" and you can play music with Real Player or save a Real Player file which plays about an hour of music radio. It seems to be on demand. Whatever is happening, you never come in on the middle of a program. (By the way, if you download your Real Player from the BBC, it will be adware free. They don't allow it in things they host for download. Just resist "updating" it from the RP site.) The DJ's seem more enthusiastic than knowledgeable, but they have a great record collection. I just discovered this place and have no idea if this is the only hour they have, or how it works, but I like what I hear.

Are there any other Blues fans out there? I like country (and surely its famous cousin Delta Blues) blues (Robert Johnson, Sun House, etc.), Texas Blues, Willie Nelson's Mexican Blues influenced acoustic guitar soloing, but most of all Chicago Blues. If I could have only one record company's music on a desert island, it would be the Chess Records family. Chess, Checker, Argo, etc. If you want me to bore you further, ask me to list their artists. Blues, rock and jazz, the list would astound even the more knowledgeable among you. The Chess brothers discovered or first employed most of the seminal artists in both Chicago Blues and rock, some of the best R & B stars ever, great Do-wop, and made more money from jazz artists than all the rest combined.

OK, turn me on to your Internet Radio finds!

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Everyon eprobably knows about this, but Pandora.com. Anything that you like is available all day add free.

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner View Post
    Everyon eprobably knows about this, but Pandora.com. Anything that you like is available all day add free.
    I, for one..didnt. have been playing it for about an hour now. interesting. thanx for the pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    OK, turn me on to your Internet Radio finds!
    Hey, Clark...

I sole source from KPIG. They were one of the first, if not the first, to stream radio broadcasts, real time.

Americana, eclectic, local westcoast, friendly feel. Their DJ's help MC stages at various festivals year-round (Hardly Strictly and Strawberry to name a few). Great folk to work with and to know.

KPIG is the progeny of KFAT and always has the lowest signal strength around, so you could only get them in-and-around Santa Cruz. They jumped into the ether as quick as they could.

They got whacked with the RIAA royalty struggle, and wandered from a free, to a donations, to a subscriber, back to a free and now again a subscriber-based model. The latter seems to work, compensates the artists and offsets some of KPIG's operations costs. When free they had the highest bandwidth (but few seats, so you had to get on early!), but lately have held steady at 96kbps - not so bad.

Here at work I stream through the PC into an Onkyo A-8087 into the 4301B's. Nice...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Kut.org/ Austin, Tx

ABC Gold and Tweed - Coast FM, Australian Gold Coast
    http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/
    Streaming for the annual Folk Festival starts Friday 3/21/08
    Last edited by JBobL; 03-20-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add info

www.slacker.com is free and has a decent selection of just about anything. I can get it through the company firewalls and nanny servers. Quality is 128K but not too bad and there are no ads.
    Why buy used when you can build your own?

pentictonklaus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywave-Rider View Post
    Thank's for the link. I really enjoy this station. Reminds me of the time I lived in Manhattan. 6th Ave/14th street. 1984-1986.
    Klaus

Thread Information