Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4410 refurbish project

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I know the ADD thing. I tell everyone I have AOADD (Adult Onset ADD). Goes well with the CSS, CRS, CFS diseases I have. Can't See/Remember/Find Sh*t)
    250Ti.L112(2).4312BMkII.4310.S38.18Ti.L166.L86.L56 .L55.L80T.L20T.L100A
    So is this why you have such a collection of cool speakers - you can't remember where you left 'em?

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, especially the safety concerns! I usually avoid tetramethyle death, but sometimes ya gotta have the right chemical for the job.

I usually post my original pictures to my family website, hosted by my brother, in full resolution for the details. I also have them native to my hard drive, so I suppose I can create duplicates at a smaller size. I'll give that a shot.

I intend to get back to my 4410 restoration this week. I'm currently working on a privacy fence, decking the attic, and assembling my road bicycle as well, so I'm stretched. But, they're all labors of love!

A couple of other questions:
    • I separated (carefully) the titanium diaphragm/voice coil assemblies from their magnets (035ti) and found that the foam pad (?) between the dome and the pole piece (?) had deteriorated as badly as the surrounds. I assume MEK will remove that material, but where can I get/fabricate replacements? Rick Cobb doesn't stock them.
    • I have read about using folded painter's masking tape to clean the voice coil gap - why don't we use bottled air, like we use for cleaning keyboards? Condensation?
    Thanks again for the help!
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

Hi

Foam ?
    Here's an older thread I dug up somewhat about repairing a 035ti .

- The pertinent info is that the foam should be replaced so as to provide much needed mechanical damping to the titianium diaphragm .

- Edgewound may know if these pads are available / if it was me, I'd be trying out the different types of foam that I have sitting around here ( roadcase foam of all sorts ) .

Gap Cleaning ?

- With small metallic particles, you'd be surprised at just how tenacious the magnetic hold is . Compressed air will usually just move this type of particle to another location in the gap.
    - Inside-out masking tape, wrapped around a stiff business card is a much more effective way at cleaning these sort of particles out of the gap .

<>

Some pictures

I have some pictures to document my progress. They are very similar to Bo's post, with a few differences. I had to remove a dustcap, as well as the gasket from the basket.

Please comment on the old dustcap adhesive. A few pieces/chunks flaked off during dustcap removal. I removed all that was loose and made sure that the rest was secure to the cone. However, I can't help but be concerned that over time, more of the material will flake off and get into the voice coil gap.

Workspace

Clean, open surface
    Comfortable chair
    Good lighting with magnifying lens
    Exacto knives with a blade assortment
    Small vacuum cleaner
    Turntable (lazy susan from Wal Mart)

Closeup of Damage

Dustcap Removal

Last edited by tensleep; 04-08-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Duplicate image
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

More Pictures

I'm not used to the LIFO format for this forum; these pictures were supposed to preceed the dustcap removal.

Here are pictures of the gasket removal (is gasket the right term?). The adhesive is tenacious, to say the least! I could not locate MEK at my Home Depot, but will continue to look. In the meantime, I have a product called Goof Off that is more user friendly (read less effective) that may do the job. I also keep mineral spirits around to use as a solvent on bicycle parts. Has anyone tried that as an adhesive solvent?

The basket rim is scraped fairly clean, but I have done nothing to the back of the cone yet.

The blue tape came in very handy. Periodically, I would use a piece to remove the material that I had scraped loose. I also covered the voice coil to prevent contamination. Some adhesive is still present, and the back of the cones need to be cleaned. It was late and my bed was calling, so more later!
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

More Pictures 050508

This is a very slow going project, but I am making some progress between building a privacy fence and working on the wife's '95 850 Turbo. Thanks again to Bo for the great resurround process with pictorial; I am just adding my experience to his method.

One thing I found that helped was to support the cone with a plate, being careful not to bottom out the voice coil. Also, I couldn't find MEK in small quantities, so I tried Goo Gone which worked well to loosen the surround material from the cone and the gasket material from the gasket. I did have to be carefull removing the last bit of surround adhesive from the cone. Some of the cone material (nothing substantial) was removed (scraped away) with the adhesive before I got the hang of it.

Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

Continuing with the project

I am in the process of relocating to Texas, so I have not been able to work on these speakers until to day (lame excuse). I am staying with my cousin who happens to have a large shop, so I am taking advantage to do some work on the cabinets.

The cabinets are still in great shape, but need to be refinished, so I have sanded them and am coating them with boiled linseed oil/turpentine. Here are the befores:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

The JBL 4410's are singing again!

I had forgotten just how good these monitors are! I reassembled them yesterday and have been auditioning many of my old favorites. Because of where I am staying, speaker placement is less than optimal. However, these are such a good speaker system that they sound great even out of postion.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

Thread Information