Thread: 4410 refurbish project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4410 refurbish project

Hello and thanks for the wonderful forum. I have learned a great deal already and plan to learn more and contribute when I can, hopefully from success with my various projects. Making mistakes can teach valuable lessons, but usually at the expense of my pocket book!

I purchased a pair of 4410 speakers new years ago (1986?). Now, they are in dire need of some help. I have not had them out in probably 7 years, so imagine my surprise when I found the surrounds disintegrated.

Reading about how common this is put most of my fears to rest! The dust cap is also pushed in on one of the L127H (my 3 year old pushed a toy through a hole in the grill years ago). The grills need to be repaired (broken posts, have all the pieces, need new fabric) and the veneer needs to be oiled as well.

The surround repair is very well documented elsewhere on the forum. Can someone please point me in the right direction for the following:
    1. Source for replacement grill cloth - original would be nice, but a close match will have to do.
    2. How do I make the fabric release from the grill frame?
    3. Dust cap removal/replacement - similar to surround repair?
    4. The magnets for the 35ti pair both have a small, round foam pad (?) on the center pole (?). They have deteriorated like the surrounds. Replacement suggestions?
    The driver windings all measure well for impedance, the spiders look great, I don't believe that the mids need anything. I'm not sure if I will dig into the crossovers just yet.

I intend to archive the whole process with pictures and text. Some of it may be redundant, so lemme know, moderators, if you want less.

Here are pictures of the drivers out of the cabinets, before any repairs.

http://www.micksmothers.net/gallery2/v/Billy/
    Last edited by tensleep; 03-17-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Forgot Pictures (stupid touchpad!)

JUst a FYI. I had to repair a post on one of my 4410 grilles recently and had good success with Krazy Glue Advanced Formula. You have to be careful not to put too much glue on and press the pieces together considerably longer than the 30 seconds they suggest (until the glue dries) but if you do you will get a nice solid repair.I've removed the grille several times since the repair and no problem.

These will hold me over while I work on the JBLs

I picked these up over the weekend (add in the local paper). I believe that they should do until I complete the 4410s!

More picture of the Bozaks:
    http://www.micksmothers.net/gallery2...ozak+Speakers/

I'm currently listening to Chet Atkins, Mr Sandman - beautiful! Now I need some Les Paul next.
    Last edited by tensleep; 03-25-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: screwe up the pictures link
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

Bozak

Rudy Bozak had a long and interesting career in audio, and is worth looking into. most of his speakers were worthy, though very different than the "West Coast Sound" of Altec and JBL.

I certainly enjoyed reading about Mr. Bozak's contributions to audio. His story and place in history resonates with that of Nikola Tesla.

I figure the money is well spent, too; I doubt that I'll find any JBLs better than my 4410s, or in such great condition, for a C note.

Gotta get my surrounds for the L127H next. I have a response from Mr. Cobb and intend to order them tomorrow. I have a great workspace setup and some fresh blades for my exacto - guess I'll have to lay off the coffee the day of the surgery.

I'm still looking for suggestions on chemicals/processes for bringing the shine back to the titanium domes. Or should I just leave them well enough alone?
    Silence is Golden.....
    but Duct Tape is Silver

Quote Originally Posted by tensleep View Post
    I'm still looking for suggestions on chemicals/processes for bringing the shine back to the titanium domes. Or should I just leave them well enough alone?
    Leave Well enough Alone on the titaniums.

Thread Information