Thread: Array 1400 vs Array 800 With a Good Subwoofer

Array 1400 vs Array 800 With a Good Subwoofer

I'm very familiar with Array 1400s and believe them to be the best sounding speakers JBL ever made, but I simply don't have room for them in my current listening room. I'm extremely happy with my DIY L200 "Extremes" as I call them, especially after upgrading to M2 woofers, but they're a bit large and maybe it's time to try something different and maybe a little less room dominating. If anyone has actually owned both, or at least has extended listening seasons with both, I'd love to hear a comparison. Bass below 50Hz won't be an issue as I have multiple high quality subs.

I've compared the 1000s and the 1400s in the same room/system at a friend's home. He had the 1000s first and frankly I was surprised how nice they sounded. Then he picked up a pair of the 1400s and I was caught off guard again just how much better they sounded than the 1000s. Both pairs were in the room for a couple months. No one would prefer to listen to the 1000s, but if you didn't have the space for 1400s..... the 800s (or 1000s) would probably make you happy. That horn/driver design definitely does a lot of things better than the older JBL arrangements, imo, and it sounds like you have the bottom covered.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I'm very familiar with Array 1400s and believe them to be the best sounding speakers JBL ever made, but I simply don't have room for them in my current listening room. I'm extremely happy with my DIY L200 "Extremes" as I call them, especially after upgrading to M2 woofers, but they're a bit large and maybe it's time to try something different and maybe a little less room dominating. If anyone has actually owned both, or at least has extended listening seasons with both, I'd love to hear a comparison. Bass below 50Hz won't be an issue as I have multiple high quality subs.
    As you must be aware, the 800 has the same drivers as 1400. In my 7.1 system the 800 has a VERY similar voice to the 1400s, test tones sound identical. Using the 800 as a main speaker would present some special considerations for placement since they are designed for a shelf. I've considered using them for surrounds but haven't tried it.

Don't hold me to this, I'd have to dig to find model numbers, but I believe the 800 and 1000 utilize the same mid compression drivers but the 1400 uses a much nicer one. The 1400s had more dynamic impact and naturalness to it's sound.

My mistake, I was thinking this was about the 880, not 800. Yes the 1000 and 800 use the same compression drivers. And no, they are not up to the standard set by the 1400.

Synthesis SAM2LF/SAM2HF maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Synthesis SAM2LF/SAM2HF maybe?
    A friend told me the other day that he has a pair of NOS SAMs still in their boxes if anyone is interested.

Widget

Thread Information