Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about S38

Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
    Here are a couple pics of my S38BE's. I think that these are one of those speakers that you either realy like or really dislike from an asthetic standpoint.

I happen to like their look and am very pleased with the sound of them. I am not always a fan of reasonably inexpensive three ways, but these impress.

RC
    I think the coppery cones go better in the light cabinets, while the silvery ones go better in the black.
    Out.

So - I sold off those L820s on ebay for basically what I paid for them, and tonight Emma and I drove to Manassas and picked up a pair of S38 IIs in "Cherry" - no pedestals, but they look nice and have that fantastic sound the last set (black ash) had ... kinda late now, but I'll crank the Yamaha tomorrow and give them a workout!
    Got them sitting on some L60t speakers as pedestals right now in the upstairs room -
    but my plan is they'll be the rear surrounds in the TV room - and very good all around spares when I need something else.

Thanks again for the tips, y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Well, I'll be honest - I got the L820s and didn't care for them. I suppose the high end is fine and I'm sure they're fine for surrounds - but I miss the bottom and just all around good sound of those S38 IIs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I told my wife it’s not my fault if someone two-miles away lists interesting JBLs on Craigslist for short money.

And so I’ve added a pair of one-owner S38BEs to my live-comparison library. One tiny corner chip short of perfect. He was replacing them with a JBL soundbar through some version of brand-loyalty I’ll never understand. Listening to them now in the temporary location of the “library” where they are astounding me with their imaging ability creating a startlingly wide soundstage using L7s as stands too far apart to do what they are doing with no effort. Sitting in a Poang and listening to Joshua Judges Ruth and thinking about a listening session ages ago at the home of “Fred Sanford” with Heather and other friends thinking these would have done well up against the L96 in our small 3-way shoot-out. Those were the good ol’ days.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yep - had the original S38s at one point - sold them, and later on got another pair, maybe the S38 IIs, and the 2nd series didn't have the same magic.
    Looks like you got the better model with the copper cones.
    Nice collection, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I told my wife it’s not my fault if someone two-miles away lists interesting JBLs on Craigslist for short money.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Yep - had the original S38s at one point - sold them, and later on got another pair, maybe the S38 IIs, and the 2nd series didn't have the same magic.
    Looks like you got the better model with the copper cones.
    Nice collection, my friend!
    In re-reading this thread it doesn't appear that you ever had the original S38BE—but did have the IIs a couple of times. Looking forward to seeing what you think of these, someday.

Just got my 3rd Moderna shot (booster) yesterday. Will the world ever get back to something like normal?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Well, I did have a pair of the copper coned S38s at some point, perhaps I just didn't post them here ...
    I think the BE meant Beech finish, CH was cherry - looks like all they do these days is the Black finish ...

Got my 3rd Pfizer at Safeway on the 11th, Emma got hers a week later -
    The festival folks cancelled the Highland Games in Richmond this year too -
    would've been this weekend (29-31st) -
    so, no meat pies or live bagpipes for us this year!

In re-reading this thread it doesn't appear that you ever had the original S38BE—but did have the IIs a couple of times. Looking forward to seeing what you think of these, someday.

Just got my 3rd Moderna shot (booster) yesterday. Will the world ever get back to something like normal?

....Will the world ever get back to something like normal?
    All systems go here. We had between 450,000 and 500,000 people here at the speedway for the Electric Daisy Carnival or EDC last weekend in what is always a 3 day and night hygienic travesty.

People watching at its best!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

My cousin has a pair of the original S-38 and about 2 months ago I did check the Woofer Screws to insure they were snug. They weren't bad in that regard. No means to do anything about the Mounting Plate for the Mid-Tweeter though.

They look like screws, but aren't. Did they possibly only glue in this Mounting Plate to the Enclosure?

But having a hell of a time trying to find him a Speaker Stand that is decent yet won't break the bank.

He spotted a small pair of tubular steel stands a couple weeks ago at a audio repair store that he liked, but the owner of the shop had no idea what brand they were? They were sort of like a cheapo lighter clone of a Sound Anchor Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by markd51 View Post
    But having a hell of a time trying to find him a Speaker Stand that is decent yet won't break the bank.
    Heather used L60Ts for stands. I'm currently using L7s, though they are a little too tall. I have a spare pair of L80Ts that might work very well as stands for the S38. I'm probably not even kidding!

Got my 3rd Pfizer at Safeway on the 11th, Emma got hers a week later -
    Got my FIFTH Moderna today, the new bivalent booster designed for Omicron.
    Still liking the S38s, even with my "new" restored L100 series Ones now working right next to them.
    The very same first pair of L100s I ever heard back around 1971.

Heather, Your S38s may be back.

Someone in NOVA or MD please buy these before I'm forced to make another road trip for a pair of speakers I don't need and already own. Black S38 pair in Maryland for $100 on Facebook

S38CH in Louisville asking $125. Go get 'em!

These look very nice. I'd get 'em if I were closer. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-e8d454cb4941

These look very nice. I'd get 'em if I were closer. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-e8d454cb4941
    Sold Apparently - no longer Available

I think the S38 is not a bad Speaker, I remember this speaker being reviewed at the time, and rated as a budget component of the year.

I've heard some others in this size range that impressed me better, one example, the ProAc SC-1, but sure, a little bit more money that speaker cost. Apples and Oranges.

I have been pleasantly surprised by many JBLs around that price range—or less!These include: L1, L3, Pro-III Plus, S38. If I stretch to a $200 limit, that would include:LSR305, L5, L7, L96, 4412A. Even a nearly-free pair of LX22 and a free pair of 2500s were worth listening to and passing along to others. (Oddly, the LX22 were badged as "LX55" and advertised that way!).....sorry, had to edit for clarity after the site jammed the text all together rather than break it into graphs!

Thread Information