Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha versus JBL speakers

What is gained by "porting"

The last few posts really brought a nagging question to the front of my mind in the JBL versus Yamaha discussion. I have noticed that JBL's are ported. I guess that this is the "bass reflex system". What does it add? The Yamahas that I have seen are not ported.

DK
    I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.

Gary L
    Quote Originally Posted by brudha View Post
    Gams,

Are you still trying to justify for not stepping up to the plate with the 5-digit G-series?
    No justification necessary! If I felt any of them sounded better then the G 8000 or G 9000 I would probably have a few of them as well!

Even the older 9090DB mentioned above have a nicer sound to my ears.

Seawolf, The last I knew there was a good following of Sansui gear over at AK. The 9090DB is a fine unit and I am sure you could find some interest there. Any member here seeking a nice Vintage receiver would be very satisfied displaying the 9090DB and they are built like tanks with power to spare.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Yes Krunchy, I've had a number of the higher end Pioneers including the SX1250 and the SX1980, also have listened to the bigger Sansui G2200 and G 3300 models and for my money the G 8000 and G 9000s blow them all away as far as great sound. I did have one pioneer, think it was an SX 1010 but don't remember for sure, it was one of the best sounding pioneers I ever owned. I also had a few of the bigger Marantz units and liked the way they sounded over the pioneers. Pioneers to me just seem a bit dry and lifeless.

Gary
    I STILL have my dads first reciever from 1970! A SANSUI EIGHT. Only 50 watts per channel, but that sucker cranks, and sounds cool, and its HEAVY, too. About 40 or 50lbs.

It's an antique, but, I like it, still.
    scottyj

I always loved the Sansui sound, specially the AU111.
    When I was 14, I got a pair Altec 409B and a Sansui AU222.
    A super sound for that time. I still have the Sansui AU222 just for fun.

I have been running Yamaha NS-A635As with my Sansui AU-517 amp and recently tested them against JBL L26s I refoamed. The Yamahas proved more efficient and had better definition with a tighter bass. The JBLs were muddy by comparison. I was a little surprised to say the least. I might ditch the JBLs for some bigger and better Yammies. Do I dare throw good money after bad on bigger and supposedly better JBLs?

Got my Yammys going right now, its all the sound that I could ask for from that size box. LOTS of bass , if asked for, sparkling highs, very foreward.

Rumor is that another pair of Yammys , "with BE tweeter , but NOT NS-1000's" coming my way,,,,,anyone want some L-36's ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by almostblue View Post
    I have been running Yamaha NS-A635As with my Sansui AU-517 amp and recently tested them against JBL L26s I refoamed. The Yamahas proved more efficient and had better definition with a tighter bass. The JBLs were muddy by comparison. I was a little surprised to say the least. I might ditch the JBLs for some bigger and better Yammies. Do I dare throw good money after bad on bigger and supposedly better JBLs?
    Are these like your Yamahas?

The L26 Decade was JBL's entry speaker in it's day. I'd say almost anything from JBL or Yamaha would be a step up.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yesterday, while leafing through an old heap of HiFi mags I stumbled on something called Yamaha F1 or FX-1 from 1978 that was pretty much a rip off of L300/4333. They where black, like NS1000, but with 15", mid horn with lens and (probably) a horn for the treble. They seemed to use beryllium in the mid/high drivers.

I have tried to find some more info via google but only get answers for motorcycles and some very huge keyboards

JohanR
    4331B - L65A

Oh, Yamaha made some very fine speakers for sure...
    Their best is probably the Yamaha GF-1 from 1991 which received COTY award with a price tag of 70.000$

On the original NS-1000 and its many siblings, Beryllium was vapor-deposited on copper blanks ; the copper was then removed by etching.
    Beryllium domes on the GF-1 are "forged": the domes are pure Beryllium with a layer of gold for additional damping and anti-corrosion.
    Btw, I'd LOVE to get my hands on a Yamaha NS-2000 and compare it to my Century Golds....and probably to my 250TI Jubilees as well.

Unfortunately they are rare as hell (thus over-expensive).

NS1000 vs. JBL?

I tell ya.... the first time I heard NS1000's was at the place I eventually bought my L300's- A place called Swallens in Columbus, Oh. 1978 When I walked in the main showroom, someone was playing some jazz and my immediate response was, what was making that amazing sound ?!?!??! Especially the mid & highs .... It was outstanding upper end reproduction in my opinion !! Come to find out they were NS1000's, and I was impressed. At the time I thought they were too expensive, though. Within a week or two the L300's went on closeout sale for $1100 a pair, and it was over with for the NS1000's.

But, your question about them vs. L100's- overall, I still like the L100's, but the NS1000 top end aint gonna get touched by any of the bookshelf speakers from JBL from that era.

As far as L36's, I have a pair of L36's too, and by golly, if you get them placed correctly in a room, I think they're very good too. Not quite up to an L100, and as I mentioned, doesn't have the top end of an NS1000, but I really like them.

Here's the kicker- as mentioned before, you can still get parts for the JBL's. So, hands down, stick with JBL...... IMHO.
    Dave Lyons - Zanesville, Oh = L300, L36, L40,
    L100a & L100a Century, J2050, S36AWII

Gary L
    I don't feel it is at all fair to even try to compare a JBL L 100 to a Yamaha NS 1000.

Both are very fine speakers in their own rights but any one here who thinks the L 100 is even close has worse ears then me!

I will almost always love the sound of JBL or Altecs over any Yamahas but the NS 1000 and particularly the NS 2000 are in a class way above the JBL L 100 and that could easily be recorded buy the test equipment many members here rely on.

That is not to say if you love your L 100s you are wrong but there really is no comparison in the accuracy and measurable sound quality between the two.

I used to go to AK a while back until a bunch of guys there agued that their Realistic Mach Ones blew the doors off JBL L 100s & 4311s.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I used to go to AK a while back until a bunch of guys there agued that their Realistic Mach Ones blew the doors off JBL L 100s & 4311s.
    It isn't that I didn't believe you, but the idea that there were people out there who still listened to Mach 1s blew me away... they were considered crap when they were brand new! I had to google them. I found this:

Oh my god!!!

...and then I thought, "What the hell? These things must be on eBay. I wonder...?"

Sorry, What were we talking about?

Oh yeah. JBL vs. Yamaha.

Yamaha like JBL has made a ton of speakers over the years. Most are probably OK. Many JBLs are OK, but most are better than that. That said, the NS1000 and NS2000 have midrange and tweeters in them that are simply among the best ever produced.

Those two Yamahas are truly special, though obviously not as special as a Realistic Mach One.

Widget

Gary L
    I'm not one for bashing any speaker because if someone likes them it is perfectly fine with me.

I had a set of Mach Ones and have to admit they were a great Dorm Speaker and capeable of getting very loud.

After I sold the innards on Ebay I was left with the cabinets and no real use for them as speaker boxes.

When I switched my fire place to a coal stove the Mach ones finally found their calling!

Gary

Thread Information